Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 03:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 07, 2024, 08:05:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 07:59:32 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 06:30:10 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 05:11:37 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 02:59:57 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 10:47:14 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Crabfest 2020  (Read 27173 times)

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Well, I missed out on a jetty camp spot for next year.  I've gone all but the first year.  Maybe someone will cancel. 
Maybe I'll just go for the day.  We'll see.
In the meantime, thanks to Victor and his lovely family for hosting all these years. 
Cheers!

Thank you Jerry, it appears there are still some spots when I look at coming in on the 29th. Are you looking at coming earlier?
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

vwool

• "Grab life by the Paddle"
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
Report is up and can be found here http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=90761.msg1027562#msg1027562

Reminder that next years event is on 01/30/2021
Eddyline Caribbean 12
OK Malibu Two XL
Hobie Revo

Host of Crabfest 2012-2022

saltynuts

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Generators at Doran Beach - Update!

Hi everyone,
Like many of you, I was incredibly frustrated to learn that we could only use our generators from 8am to 8pm while camping at Doran this past weekend. The camp hosts came around and knocked at our door, saying it had been changed about 6 months ago. We had planned on running our generator to charge our equipment from 8-10pm since we were gone all day!

When we checked-out of the camp grounds, the rangers/staff at the front booth were incredibly sympathetic and encouraged us to contact the Regional Parks office. They told us that others had complained (not sure how many) about the generators going until 10pm, so the county changed it.

The staff recommended that we share the contact info with everyone we know, and to get as many people as possible to contact the parks office! We may actually get them to change their generator hours if there is enough polite and professional feedback about the hours. We are such a large forum, we could easily get thousands of calls/emails to them.

Personally, I think we should be allowed to run generators from 7am to 10pm - this allows us time to catch-up on some work, charge equipment, and cook our crab!

Please consider contacting the Sonoma County Regional Parks, and let them know that as a long-time camper at Doran, you would like to see them change the generator hours and restore them to the 7am-10pm time frame. Let them know how it impacts you and your use of the camping facilities.

Contact them by email (which is probably best):
parks@sonoma-county.org

By phone:
(707) 565-2041

Share this information with your social networks!
-Cherie

Great event!
As a first timer was really impressed with the level of organization, POT LUCK and raffle prizes. Great Job VWool and family!

RE Generators: I have to say I'm on the complete opposite spectrum as PakehaCherie and find generators and loud music of others to be out of place in a campground, noise pollution you can't block out. I'm moraly, ethically, philosophically and any other "lly" opposed to bringing your house camping with you.

I have no problem with RVers all grouped together away from tent campers being allowed to run generators and the like until all hours but we're all there (well, I am at least) to disconnect from creature comforts and reconnect with nature and in a spot so near the water who wants to listen to someone else's motor running?
To me a big part of why I go camping is listening to the waves, the wind, the crickets! Not really there to hear your generator or listen to your favorite tunes.

I'm all for the restrictions and think that it's not a big deal to just plan ahead a bit and get all your charging done before 8PM is it?

My thoughts, don't want to be offensive or contrary, hmm, maybe I like being contrary a bit :smt003,  but I guess we all have our own preferences/priorities.  :smt005

Salty

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well, I missed out on a jetty camp spot for next year.  I've gone all but the first year.  Maybe someone will cancel. 
In the meantime, thanks to Victor and his lovely family for hosting all these years. 
Cheers!

Thank you Jerry, it appears there are still some spots when I look at coming in on the 29th. Are you looking at coming earlier?
When I enter the date, it shows green for available sites.  When I select one it shows not available for Saturday.  I think their site is messed up.  Gonna call now and see what's up with that.

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Cheers!

When I enter the date, it shows green for available sites.  When I select one it shows not available for Saturday.  I think their site is messed up.  Gonna call now and see what's up with that.

Yes, I had to call only a couple spots left
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Called and got site 118.  He said 127 was also available, but without a map in front of me, I took 118.  Thanks Victor!  We love this event above all others and happy we'll be there once again

Jonny Hooker

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Cheers!

I saw the same thing when I tried to book online for that weekend, it would automatically limited me to just Friday night.  I called and they said it might be the result of a recent update.  So if in doubt, call to reserve a site.

• "Being on the water...it replenishes my soul"
  • View Profile Urban Chicken Consulting
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Salty, I get what you are saying - when I am camping in the wilderness, I don't like to feel as if I'm still in town and can't enjoy the nature around me. But when I camp in a trailer and in a parking lot (which, for all intensive purposes, is what Doran is), I need to be able to run my generator. Not all night, and not past 10pm, which seems very reasonable.

When Im away and camping, I have no intention of staying in the trailer all day and not enjoying the area just so I can charge my equipment...that would defeat the purpose of exploring the exciting stuff around us. To me, this is what the evening hours are for, or when we are "home" and back at the camp ground. We also don't play loud music and try to be really respectful of others and the thin walls of tents (we dont have one of those cheap generators that can be pretty noisy).

It's important to recognize that 1) people might have to do work while they are traveling, so they can be away to camp, and they can take the days off they need. This means being able to use a generator if shore power isn't available. 2) People might have medical needs that require some power access, and a portable generator might be the only option.

You can't always control who you camp next to, so it's about being reasonable. Im not ready to be tucked into bed at 8pm, but give me until 10pm, and I can make it work.
-PC

Generators at Doran Beach - Update!

Great event!
As a first timer was really impressed with the level of organization, POT LUCK and raffle prizes. Great Job VWool and family!

RE Generators: I have to say I'm on the complete opposite spectrum as PakehaCherie and find generators and loud music of others to be out of place in a campground, noise pollution you can't block out. I'm moraly, ethically, philosophically and any other "lly" opposed to bringing your house camping with you.

I have no problem with RVers all grouped together away from tent campers being allowed to run generators and the like until all hours but we're all there (well, I am at least) to disconnect from creature comforts and reconnect with nature and in a spot so near the water who wants to listen to someone else's motor running?
To me a big part of why I go camping is listening to the waves, the wind, the crickets! Not really there to hear your generator or listen to your favorite tunes.

I'm all for the restrictions and think that it's not a big deal to just plan ahead a bit and get all your charging done before 8PM is it?

My thoughts, don't want to be offensive or contrary, hmm, maybe I like being contrary a bit :smt003,  but I guess we all have our own preferences/priorities.  :smt005

Salty
:smt117
A.K.A. "Pikachu" (according to Rockfish)
2012 Eddyline Caribbean 14

sanperpe

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Pickachu.
Related to generators,
With nowadays technology, generators are not the only option to charge your computer or other electronic equipment, Batteries recharged with solar system are a good alternative.

ScottV

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Pickachu.
Related to generators,
With nowadays technology, generators are not the only option to charge your computer or other electronic equipment, Batteries recharged with solar system are a good alternative.

Kind of hard to charge your batteries when your on the water all day.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

---------------------------------------
Dark green OK Trident 13

2014 FreshKATS Clear Lake 6th place on the fly
2014 King of the Port 2nd place on the fly
2014 FAOTY Fly Angler of the Year
2015 FreshKATS Rollins Lake Round-Up 1st place on the fly!
2015 FreshKATS Tournament of Champions 2nd place of the fly

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
 :smt001

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
 :smt001

Hojoman