Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bad news for near-shore fishing at Albion & to Central Coast on Sept 1  (Read 8520 times)

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
More woke based decisions
It is funny to see how people use this term “woke.” It’s like a secret phrase used as a pejorative by people who are often brainwashed by extremist right-wing media personalities. Science, facts, and colored people are all woke now, depending who you ask.

Interesting take, Pat. Seems to be used for so many things these days.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
You are correct, Jerry. The term has been hijacked and warped into something else. Based on the most frequently-used terminology, Jesus was extremely woke.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
No, you don't get to define 'woke' by your interpretation on how you perceive others to mean it.  Well, not unless you are a mind reader...
In this instance, woke means …
Irony?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
You are correct, Jerry. The term has been hijacked and warped into something else. Based on the most frequently-used terminology, Jesus was extremely woke.

Its a dog whistle word that means whatever the reader thinks it should mean.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Runic112

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2022
It isn't uncommon to catch rock fish when fishing for halibut, and both the quillback and california halibut live in similar depths of water. If the quillback population is in such dire need of protection, how does it make sense that the halibut season is still open? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that we still have something to fish for in the ocean, but it sounds like CDFW is talking out of both sides of their mouth on this one.

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Okay, I read the "Quillback Rockfish Inseason Informational Briefing" and still don't get it, and it sure looks like someone at CDFW is looking at a different fish than we are. Because the Quillbacks I (rarely) catch DO NOT suffer barotrauma - they are if anything even more eager than Blues to return to the depths. I have NEVER SEEN a "floater" Quillback. So a zero-take limit (which for some reason they never tried, and the gobbledegook in the briefing does not explain why not) would solve the problem.

I also have to wonder if they really have any data showing overfishing of Quills here in Mendocino. And I very much doubt their assumption that 76% of them are taken by recreational anglers - when the inshore live-fish stick-riggers are out there vacuuming up every Black-and-Yellow, China, and Quill they can find (those being prized by the live-fish market).

I just called a left a message for Mr. Phillips so will see if he can provide any clarity. I recommend everyone else do the same; our voices need to be heard.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
We have been here before on other comment post, ultimately this is about saving the commercial fishing and not about saving recreational fishing. Think whatever you want but commercial fishing is destroying the fish population and these are last ditch efforts to try to save these money makers. Bottom line is we can no longer feed the commercial sales and the true effort to save fish population would be to only allow local harvest, this means, you want to eat it, catch it yourself. When I say commercial, I define as large scale harvest to sell nation and global wide, party boats with more than seven fishermen on board and any small scale sales (like the guys on youtube who catch all they can with small boat or kayak and then sell to locals. It is not going to get better, will only get more restrictive in coming years. I get notices about new fishing regulations throughout the U.S. and this is happening all over with many different species of fish. These are my feelings, really hope I am wrong, Ron.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
We have been here before on other comment post, ultimately this is about saving the commercial fishing and not about saving recreational fishing. Think whatever you want but commercial fishing is destroying the fish population and these are last ditch efforts to try to save these money makers. Bottom line is we can no longer feed the commercial sales and the true effort to save fish population would be to only allow local harvest, this means, you want to eat it, catch it yourself. When I say commercial, I define as large scale harvest to sell nation and global wide, party boats with more than seven fishermen on board and any small scale sales (like the guys on youtube who catch all they can with small boat or kayak and then sell to locals. It is not going to get better, will only get more restrictive in coming years. I get notices about new fishing regulations throughout the U.S. and this is happening all over with many different species of fish. These are my feelings, really hope I am wrong, Ron.

I think this is probably true. As with pretty much anything that happens in politics, follow the money. Fishing industries, ie commercial and charters, have money and lobbyists. Kayakers and rec anglers don't have any organized front that I am aware of, which means we are also not contributing financially to the discussion. So, until we can produce similar funds that commercial fishing industry can, we probably are gonna get screwed with the regs.
- Kevin

lightfoot

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
If you can't deploy lines in the water within the restriction zone, how do you fish for halibut, salmon, threshers or anything else?
Kraken 13.5 on the Great lakes.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
the only "woke" that I care about...

I WOKE the fuck up and went fishing  :smt044
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
the only "woke" that I care about...

I WOKE the fuck up and went fishing  :smt044
wakey, wakey… :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
This whole thing is pretty crazy.

Just seems like there are so many ways they could have gone about this without having a complete closure.  Gear restrictions like barbless hooks, mandatory descenders, etc.

To shut down an entire fishery over a single species that, by all means, can be safely released when caught just seems extreme.

Meanwhile commercial is free and open to fish wherever....

I'm really curious just where all these quillbacks are reportedly being caught.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
If you can't deploy lines in the water within the restriction zone, how do you fish for halibut, salmon, threshers or anything else?

"During the ‘offshore only’ fishery, fishing gear shall not be deployed shoreward of the 50-fathom RCA boundary line when shelf rockfish, slope rockfish or lingcod are possessed onboard the vessel..."

As long as you aren't in possession of rockfish or lingcod, you can fish shoreward of the 50 fathom line.

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I wonder if a large percentage of outdoors people not buying fishing or hunting licenses until their voices and opinions are taken into consideration would make the fish and game commission take heed.

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015

How does stopping me from fishing this whole season (haven't been out yet) help the quillback?

There are plenty of other fish near shore besides rockfish and lings.  The flatfish are better eating imo which includes sand sole, rock sole, California halibut, sand dabs and starry flounder.  There are a few kinds of perch, striper and White Sea bass too.  If I lived near the Bay Area, I would be targeting White Sea bass cause they rarely show up north.  Also there is sturgeon until they tighten the regs some more on those as well.  Also it’s thresher shark season which is plenty of meat for your catch and a blast to catch as well.  It will only improve your catch rate in general if you adapt and learn to target other fish.  Rockfish and lings are some of the easiest to catch fish which makes it not much of a sport or challenge.

I asked lots of reasonable questions (I think) about why a full near-shore closure of all fishing helps the quillback and possible approaches to limit impact on the species. I appreciate your guidance towards other fish (could tell me to go to the Owens River to catch some trout! surfperch love MOTR grubs!) but I was asking why a single species demands a full shutdown and how we could reasonably address that. I know you are a better saltwater fisherman than me but the above is not an answer. But a copper is not a smaller rockfish! (I said I don't keep them anyway.) For example, why is it different from other zero-catch species that don't shut the entire (shortened) season down.

I said I'm happy to roll with normal reg changes, just would appreciate some information (data) behind this one.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 07:23:55 PM by dtizz »