Kayak Fishing Zone > General Fishing Tips

mm thickness for farmer john style wetsuit

(1/3) > >>

piscolabis:
I need a new wetsuit.
I fish mtn. lakes in all seasons.  Water temps down to 38F, but usu in 40's.
I have a worn out 3 mm,  but was thinking thicker.

7 mm too restrictive?
3 mm was fine for me, including surf landing practice for 3 hrs. at Half Moon Bay in spring long ago.  I might fish salt water in BC, Canada, but I'm predator-leary in N. Calif. 

I avoid getting in the water, have never dumped, but I fish very rough water at times and in rain (occ waves splash across bow - Pyramid Lk NV, Tahoe, etc.).

How thick?

Thanks for you thoughts and reasoning.
- Tom

Sailfish:
7mm is too restrictive for paddling.   I used to wear 3mm before switching to drysuit and never going back.

li-orca:
I was looking for a thicker than 3mm neoprene farmers John myself. Couldn’t find any at the time. Decided to get a neoprene top (also from NRS) which I like very much since I can take it off if I’m too hot.
But feet were still cold. Especially when wading for too long waiting for the sets. I ended up getting dry pants to go over the wetsuit. It works very well. The only thing I haven’t tested is how much water the pants would get if I’m immersed (since the pants aren’t combined with a dry jacket). But so far this hasn’t been an issue. Plus, I usually take off the dry pants after launching.

Bulldog---Alex:

--- Quote from: li-orca on April 16, 2024, 03:44:41 PM ---I was looking for a thicker than 3mm neoprene farmers John myself. Couldn’t find any at the time. Decided to get a neoprene top (also from NRS) which I like very much since I can take it off if I’m too hot.
But feet were still cold. Especially when wading for too long waiting for the sets. I ended up getting dry pants to go over the wetsuit. It works very well. The only thing I haven’t tested is how much water the pants would get if I’m immersed (since the pants aren’t combined with a dry jacket). But so far this hasn’t been an issue. Plus, I usually take off the dry pants after launching.

--- End quote ---

I use neoprene socks on colder days with my neoprene boots. I prefer the shorty socks. easier to take off .

SpeedyStein:
I have a 4/3 Farmer Jon, works well for me. Can bundle with jackets/pants of chilly out, and isn't too hot until it's over about 65 put, which is about the point when I just go in shorts or synthetic material pants anyway.

For feet, I have 7mm booties for when it's cold, and 3mm neoprene socks under Crocs/sandals in medium temps, and then just bare feet above about 60 or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version