Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 06:15:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:46:39 PM]

[Today at 05:40:19 PM]

[Today at 05:19:02 PM]

[Today at 04:11:20 PM]

[Today at 11:45:50 AM]

[Today at 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:48:03 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 12:06:29 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:37:45 AM]

[May 17, 2024, 11:20:54 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:41:33 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 07:13:03 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Recommendation/Suggestion/Advice Kindly Required  (Read 1654 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
After reviewing the website and watching some of the videos, I think this trip is possible.

Yes, its actually doable, if people have a bit more patient, read, dig a bit more before jump to conclusion, that might be better?

Brother X, I don’t think anyone doubts that it’s doable…..in my opinion, mental fortitude is the most valuable asset in attempting and completing a venture like this……and you have that in spades. 

I think the preparation and equipment aspects are what have drawn concern.  In the article you posted, the author was able to articulate knowledge of paddling and the area; tidal currents and how they’re affecting travel.  There was a strategy to his course with mapped out intervals.  He had comms equipment and gps.  Your posts here basically indicated that your sensitive to cold weather(and there’s posts from past trips with pics of you wrapped up in a space blanket acknowledging certain death if you go overboard) and your kayak has a big crack in it….And you intend on a first time diy repair with a plastic welder from Amazon and a YouTube video.  You have to admit, there is some disparity there…..at least in what’s been presented to us.

It’s sounds like you’re just gonna let em hang and go for broke anyway, so maybe some harm reduction. You should definitely look at the thermal dynamics of polyethylene, my first question was how brittle a plastic weld would be in cold water.  Your hull is gonna flex as you sail, you don’t want that weld splitting cause the plastic was less pliable in cold water and you were sailing in choppy conditions.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

Mr. X

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2022
I still have the new wheels, and tires off my 2021 Crosstrek that I offered for you to use on one of your other adventures, or some $ towards spares.

Thank you Mark, if my wheels out of work, i will approach you for your kindly offer :)

Mr. X

• Salmon
  • View Profile
HI Ex-Kayaker, Thanks for your message and concern.

Actually lots of aspects, lots of areas need to be prepared, if down to details, almost can be endless, always have new thing to learn. For example, only talk about the current, there are couple 200+ pages articles need to read for prediction. And even you are expert on current, also cannot 100% trust your knowledge, that area sometime is unpredictable, need react based on that time the real situation.

From the way talk, from the tune use, even looks like someone maybe think I am stupid enough who don’t consider something, but I have to say, something I didn't mention/talk in NCKA here, doesn't mean I didn't think about it, doesn't mean I don't care about it or doesn't mean I don't know it. We share knowledge in R2AK forum, we encourage each other, we helping each other. No judgement, no negative talk, all positive, I got lots of useful information from there, there around 1K people and some people have lots of sailing experience, like sail to Atlanta and Hawaii or around the world, some people living on the water all the life, lots of people living in BC coast area, that sea area is their backyard indeed, some people from BC  safety guard and weather forecast station, some people did 3-5 times R2AK success already.

Why I still asking questions here, as I said, because different area people have their different expertise. NCKA expertise on fishing and kayaking, I can learn a lot from your OG guys. I ask question about fishing here but I don't ask this question in R2AK forum. And the other reason for why I like to ask question here,  because I feel this NCKA is my home town, I will be here always, that R2AK forum is just a town on my travel way, I bypass it and wont be there anymore after I finish R2AK.

I will stop here even I can talk a lot, I really can talk a lot because lots of thought, lots of idea in my mind, but I have to stop here because I feel the way I am talking here is shifting away from the original purpose for why I paste message here. I feel I spend too much time on the explanation, not getting information. What do I want to prove by my explanation? To prove I am wrong? to prove I am right? To prove I am not stupid ? That is not good, that is not helping me, actually is meaningless.

But I do thank all of you guys, from my bottom of heart  :smt007

It’s sounds like you’re just gonna let em hang and go for broke anyway, so maybe some harm reduction. You should definitely look at the thermal dynamics of polyethylene, my first question was how brittle a plastic weld would be in cold water.  Your hull is gonna flex as you sail, you don’t want that weld splitting cause the plastic was less pliable in cold water and you were sailing in choppy conditions.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 03:45:26 PM by Mr. X »

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Good luck Mr. X with your adventure. I’m looking forward to your write ups.

Mr. X

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Can you believe? the interview between racing boss and me is even strict than job interview, I went through the job interview and been success, but this time when the racing boss interview me, he stop it after I speak some sentence, he said my English pronounce is too bad to let other people to understand, so he email me the question let me answer, no need to say something, just type. Usually all R2AK participants need interview with race boss for Podcast to share with other people. Below is what he asked and what I answered. I share here to let NCKA guys know a bit more about R2AK if you are interested:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Jesse,
Thanks for your email and question, please check the answer in Red. I have lots of words to say, but I cut them in short as below, hope you like it. Please let me know if you want anything else.

Can you share the story behind why you chose to join the R2AK?
--> In 2022, After I posted an article on a website about the Golden Gate Bridge to Farallon Island by my TI Kayak and Solo, one person from the forum introduced this R2AK to me, encouraging me to join this R2AK event. But I think I am not ready, so in 2023 I used my TI from Golden Gate Bridge to San Diego, to prove I am ok for R2AK, so in 2024, I applied to join this R2AK, and was accepted.
--> And I just like this R2AK. It's doable by Kayak, not like from the US mainland to Hawaii, it's impossible for Kayak.

Why did you decide to use a Hobie Tandem Island for the race, and how do you think it will handle the challenges ahead?
--> I have AI(Adventure Island) and TI(Tandem Island). TI has more space than AI, so I chose TI for a long distance trip, and TI has a sail on it, also I can put TI on top of my car easily, it is easy for transport. I feel everything is under my control with reasonable cost, I like this controllable and freedom feeling.
--> TI has a shortage compare with real sailboat, its light, cannot handle big swell and strong wind, but most of the time the R2AK is inside innal channel, So I can handle kind of bad weather, also I will use current and wind to favor me. When the current or wind helps me, even at midnight, I will keep moving my TI to my destination.

Can you walk us through your preparation process over the past few months? What have been the key steps and milestones?
--> Actually a lot of stuff I already got ready 1 year ago when I traveled from Golden Gate Bridge to San Diego, like dry suit, safety stuff like Radio, PLB, Life Jacket. Most concern for me is the cold and wet weather, I used to be live in warm or hot area, like San Jose and Singapore, I hate cold, so in the last few month I bought some clothes to prepare for the cold weather
--> The Key step for me is prepared some stuff to let me sleep on TI, no need landing to save time and to avoid the bear risk

What do you think will be the biggest challenge during the race, and how are you preparing to overcome it?
--> Based on my estimate in advance, the biggest challenge during the race will be the cold, the second is the wind,  the wind flow direction is almost 80% against me, third is that no cell phone signal covery at some area, I cannot get the weather forecast information
--> How to handle the cold? I will prepare more clothes. How to handle the wind against me? Use zig-zag technique, How to handle no-signal area? Write down the weather forecast before enter the no-signal area

Do you have any funny or interesting stories from your training that you'd like to share?
--> Share 1 exciting story when I reach San Diego from Santa Catalina Island. I have never been San Diego before, where will I land my TI? I use google map to find a ramp, but the google map never says its military base, and when I travel to that ramp, also no sign says its military base. After I land, dismantle my TI and move every part to the road, use APP to call uber, but uber never come. I called uber couple times and waited there for 2 hours for uber, but still no car come. I feel it's strange, it's unusual, so I found a street cleaner and asked her whether she knew the reason why the uber never came. She told me this is military base, no uber will come to here. She drive me to office, lots of things happens consequently but long story in short, after the military police management discuss, they give me two choices: 1 is report my case to court, that will be very troublesome to me, other 1 is where I am landing, leaving from there, and they give me some information that where I can land legally. I chose the second choice. 

What part of the race are you most excited about, and why?
--> Travelling on the water in the nature area where I have never been before. This is very exciting. Sometime I feel my soul is thirsty and sleeping , only in that wild nature area where I have never been before with certain risks which I can handle, my soul will be fillfielt and my heart will wake up and I will feel I am really living.......

How do you keep yourself motivated during the toughest training days, and what keeps you going?
-->My dream is on the horizon, the place where the sunset, where has mysterious and eternal, it is calling me, echoing in my deep of my soul, I will never stop never tired to find them

Can you describe the most beautiful place you’ve seen while training in California, and what made it stand out to you?
--> Sunset when I come back to the harbour in Half Moon Bay. That time no wind with small and slow swell, the half sea surface colored by the blood red sunset glow, seabird flying above the sea surface, I feel so peaceful, so beautiful, and I feel the time stopped, my soul merged into that space, something touched the bottom of my heart, I almost crying silently.

What’s your favorite snack to keep your energy up during long training sessions?
--> Beef Jerky, Black Chocolate, I also fishing and eat the meat.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to do the R2AK solo? How should they prepare both mentally and physically?
--> My advice is, if you like, just follow your heart and apply R2AK. I always tell people: Life is short, listen to your soul calling, follow your heart, set a goal, prepare for it, then just do it.
--> Prepare is important, it includes equipment, mental and physical. For equipment, we don't need to say, for mental, the adventure mental, kind of from innate, but also can be postnatal training, like to watch or read more adventure movies, books, build your interest, only you like it, you will enjoy it, and practise it with happiness. For physical, I think no need to say as well, Gym, running are all good.

Last but not least, I like to watch and read nature adventure movies, adventure books, Like "Into the wild", "Perfect Storm", "True Spirit", "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea"......I imagine someday I will have the similar experiences but I am still going to be alive.

For this R2AK 2024 with a kayak, I won't be the champion, my purpose is to challenge myself,  enjoy every moment on the way to my destination. Sometimes I think I dont want to prepare too well, I just want to make sure I can make it success and still be alive, that is enough. If I prepare too well, then no challenge, no risk, no uncertainty, no fun, it's just like to finish a job, to finish a routine work, R2AK is a kind of exercise in the gym, in the swimming pool. Let's keep certain risks, some controllable uncertain, that will make this R2AK unique and a whole life memory for me.

And I also want to feel our ancestors' life in the old time by this R2AK, that time there was no motor, there was no weather forecast, how did they face the wild nature world, how did they travel on the water with small and simple boats. From this R2AK, I have the chance to touch their life, their spirit...... Yes, this is another major reason for me to join this R2AK

Best Regards
Mr. X

Good luck Mr. X with your adventure. I’m looking forward to your write ups.