Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:31:45 PM]

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: baitcaster reel recommendations?  (Read 2425 times)

TeeKay

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2021
I would second Spiffy's recommendation of an old Jigmaster or even a 209 or senator 2/0. They're indestructible, easy to maintain and repairs are simple due to minimal parts. Best of all, you can pick them up off ebay for $30 all day long or even cheaper if you happen upon them at a yardsale. I've got fancy low pro baitcasters and conventionals for the salt but I never leave the docks without atleast 2 poles rigged up with the old, trusty penns. My penns get serviced once a year whereas the other reels with A/R bearings get broken down and serviced every 3 months if fished hard in the salt. 

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Okuma cold water low profile. The newer version is the coldwater SS. Very similar to the Komodo reel. Very hard to kill. Spool with 30lb braid and the top shot of your choice to catch everything. As long as you aren’t casting. If you are casting get something else.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Any thoughts on this model (assuming it's restricted to un-salty water)?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/abu-garcia-revo5-x-baitcast-reel

I was in Bass Pro, and of the moderately-priced reels, this one spoke to me...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
I really like Piscifun reels. I have 4. They are inexpensive yet well made. Good for salt too. They have a few options for gear ratios and handle type. Moo Moo did a review on them a while ago. They usually have sales and are $80-90 now:

https://www.piscifun.com/products/piscifun-alijos-size-300-low-profile-baitcasting-reel-aluminum-frame-casting-reels?

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I've done tons of Koke trolling with my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels.  For that 'ultra light' feel, the 4600 and for anything else, 5600 or 6600 (I prefer the left-handed reels.  That way I can cast and reel without swapping the rod over)  You can get with a line counter, but if you downrigger, that already has a counter on it.  I always get the clicker though.  For top lining, it's the cat's meow, allows you tod do other things while trolling and waiting for the click-click-click Jaws-lick clicking on the reel telling you someone is come a knockin'. 
Instead of a line counter,  I used colored braid.  PowerPro Depth-Hunter Multi-Colored Braided Fishing Line in 20 lb test with a 6 lb fluorocarbon topper.   
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 02:19:43 AM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I've done tons of Koke trolling with my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels. 

Looks tempting too. Decisions, decisions, ....

• View Profile
I've done tons of Koke trolling with my Abu Garcia Ambassadeur reels. 

Looks tempting too. Decisions, decisions, ....

If you lived closer, I'd loan you one of mine.  Something to consider: there are lots of these out there on the second-hand market.  Check out eBay and Facebook Marketplace as well as Craigslist.  I bought one a couple weeks ago for $20 of eBay, a 5500 C3.  This one didn't have a clicker, but I plan to use it for bait casting lures for bass mostly. 
BTW, the difference between the C3 and C4 is the number of bearings with the C4 with 4 bearings, C3 with only 3. 
https://www.ebay.com/bfl/viewbids/266555151163?item=266555151163&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m145235.l2565
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 08:09:55 AM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Something to consider: there are lots of these out there on the second-hand market.  Check out eBay and Facebook Marketplace as well as Craigslist. 

Thanks for the suggestion. The local Craigslist has an older "Ultra Mag XL-1" that looks very tempting...

Btw, how are you doing, Ski Pro? I recall that you had a bad run-in with Covid and were out of the fishing game for a while...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Any thoughts on this model (assuming it's restricted to un-salty water)?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/abu-garcia-revo5-x-baitcast-reel

I was in Bass Pro, and of the moderately-priced reels, this one spoke to me...
They used to make a Revo Inshore model that held up really well in the salt for me.  Don't seem to see it anymore, but it was similar in size/specs. I bet you would be plenty happy with that purchase.  Still I urge you to look at the neat features of the DLC, no other reel has as many neat features in it.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Lots of good recs here.  I have the Abu Ambassadeur SX 6601 (lefty model - for same reason and Jerry).  I think it is a step down from the C3 or C4, but it works really well for inshore duty. I bought for about $100 a few years ago, can be had online for less (brand new) now.

I also have several Piscifun reels, and feel they are all really well made, especially for the price point. The Alijoz 300 is a beast of a low profile, the Torrent is great low profile for freshwater, and the Chaos XS is a really nice alternate to the Abu Ambassadeur. 

For sabiki work, this last season I used an 8ft medium light Ugly Stick bigwater spinning rod with a Piscifun bait caster reel. Worked very well for that, plus served as a backup/second rod if needed. Really flexy tip picked up smelts and anchovy hits perfectly, but also has plenty of backbone for halibuts and rockfish use too.

If you noticed, there is a theme with my gear - for kayak use, I go inexpensive. I'm clumsy, haha. I've lost setups over the side before, and at least with an Ugly Stick and Piscifun combo, I'm out less than $200 and don't have too much heartbreak about it.
- Kevin

• View Profile
Something to consider: there are lots of these out there on the second-hand market.  Check out eBay and Facebook Marketplace as well as Craigslist. 

Thanks for the suggestion. The local Craigslist has an older "Ultra Mag XL-1" that looks very tempting...

Btw, how are you doing, Ski Pro? I recall that you had a bad run-in with Covid and were out of the fishing game for a while...

Thanks for asking.  I'm 2 years "clean" after chemo and fully recovered from COVID pneumonia.  I stay busy all day, every day, outside by 10am and I don't come back in until dinner time or dark if it comes sooner.  I've built a big outdoor raised garden area recently after successfully growing heirloom tomatoes this year.  Gifted almost all my kayak and salt fishing stuff and bought a 30 year old used boat I've restored. Been working on refinishing the log exterior to the house and even put in a back yard in March.  See?  I'm never at rest.  That hospital stay, and oncologist's assurance that my type of cancer will return has me living every day to the fullest I can.  Now we got some snow last night, so headed out tomorrow to ski. 
Oh, and I've decided to teach myself how to weld.  Bought a oxy/acetylene as well as a MIG welder.  Ha! Here's a link to some photos of these projects:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3P53NZn7pENFvqx79

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
OMG!  These are BIG projects... Thanks for the pictures Jerry.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Ha! Here's a link to some photos of these projects:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3P53NZn7pENFvqx79

Holy home improvement projects! I gotta make sure that my wife doesn't see these pictures!

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Amazing photos! Well done Jerry!

NWM - didn’t you fix the roof after a tree fell on the house and broke into the kitchen? What should fall on the house for proper recognition? An elephant?
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
NWM - didn’t you fix the roof after a tree fell on the house and broke into the kitchen?

Yes, but that took me 10 months. Compared to Ski Pro, I'm a slacker...