Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:52:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:45:34 PM]

[Today at 05:53:58 PM]

[Today at 04:11:06 PM]

[Today at 03:16:26 PM]

[Today at 02:51:06 PM]

[Today at 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bullards Bar fish and Chill 5/12-5/14  (Read 7735 times)

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Bullards Bar Fish'n'Chill Friday 5/12-Sunday 5/14, 2023

Hey all, planning a Fish n chill at Bullards Bar, Dark Day Camp/Launch the weekend of May 12-14th, 2023

We're going to catch some of those *Monster* Kokanee Salmon that lurk the depths of Bullards Bar.  These Kokes are the stuff of legend (said nobody)….if you eat one, you'll be so satisfied and stuffed…you might just eat 5 more.  There are also some bass and trouts to be had, but the Koke bite at BB is really a fun one.

We'll base out of the Dark Day Campground and Dark Day boat launch.  Friday night should be some campfires and barley pops to be had.  Saturday morning fishing, Saturday night we'll have a pot luck.  It has also been suggested we have some sort of fish competition, with a buy-in pot.  Sounds fun, still need to work out the details…after all, a sub-legal bass would still be bigger than a nice spring Koke from Bullards.  If we have a comp, I would plan on it being photo based - if you want to keep and eat the fish - do it, but I wouldn't want anyone to feel compelled to keep a fish, just to have it measured.

For those not familiar with Bullards, it’s a super nice place to go fishing.  If you go on a weekday, you'll have the lake to yourself…and be listening for any unwanted banjos.  Come on a weekend, especially in the summer, and you'll need to share the lake with a few folks.  Spring can be gorgeous up there, you get the early morning crisp air of the mountains, the unmistakable smell of pine in the air, and generally a lot of -----quiet---- which is nice.  The Kokes tend to be easy to find, but can hide on some days, they are small, with a limit of ten.  They cook very nicely whole, or just slice them in half, and pull the bones out after cooking.  Personally, I prefer the small BB Kokes to the larger kokes in Fallen Leaf Lake - I cannot yet compare them to the larger cokes over at Whiskeytown.

Camping spaces are limited so get one now if you want to join, and ideally plan to share it with another NCKA camper.

Agenda
   - Friday 5/12 pre-fish and/or arrive
      ○ Friday evening, walk campfire to campfire, chatting
   - Saturday 5/13
      ○ AM Fish
      ○ Afternoon: Biggest Fish comp picture turn in
      ○ PM Pot luck

04/25/23: for the fun competition, I' thinking all fish must be caught between 7am and noon, either text the pic to me, or we'll setup a WhatsApp group so all can see (would be more fun as long as all have WhatsApp).  In the case of a tie, we'll look at the second fish.  Everyone throw some $$ into the pot for the prize ($20? or $10 each?), we'll do a 50%/30%/20% split for 1, 2 and 3 (assuming we have 10 or more fishing).  Never done this before so any who are going - feel free to provide feedback.

For the potluck, I'm thinking start at 5. more on the food later.

the list I have so far
1. Brian (bbt95762) and Elena Tucker (non Yaker): Site 4T
2. Kevin (PlugNJug): tent in 4T
3. Ken (?): tent in 4T
4. Al's Hobie: 7
5. John (3$J): 8
6. FishGr: 5
7. FishCmpGuy (is this Ken?): tent in 4T
8. Corey: 3T
9. Joe: tent in 4T

Canadian Jerkey day trippin' Saturday
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 01:07:19 PM by bbt95762 »

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Sounds fun. I may use it as an opportunity to hit some of the trails up there.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I got site 8 reserved. Going to be fun!!
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I'm In 4T with Brian.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:58:06 AM by Plug-n-Jug »
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Sounds like real fun. I wish I could join. Can’t wait to see the pics
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Reserved site 5 for the weekend. Figured Id finally join for an event and meet some of you folks afflicted by the kayak fishing disease! Looking forward to it.
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Just checked the Dark Day campsite reservations. Looks like they are all booked for that weekend. If anyone else wants a spot you will have to double up with one of us or possibly use one of the other nearby campsites.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Schoolhouse campground is the next closest spot. It's wide open right now.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Brian, adding a friend, Adrian (Wolf74) to the list. he's a cool dude but way uglier than I am. I we cant get him in the spot with us, hopefully he can buddy up with one of the others from our group.              I have fished it the last two weeks in a row. easy limits every time. They are averaging 11-13" now.     Someone wanted to know my setup so here goes:                                                                              Eagle Claw Featherlight Rods paired with Abu Garcia Max DLC reels. 10lb. main with a weight slider to a Chain swivel. I use 3oz torpeedo weights on the slider. 1 or 2oz will work too but i like the 3oz because I can see it on my sonar and can get my rig to the right depth. 3' leader to a 4" dodger and 8 to 12" to the lure of choice.                                                                                                              My go to dodgers are chrome with Moonglow and Pink&Green splatters.                                                        Got to lures are Paulina Peak Hot Pink Micro Hoochies, then Pink or Orange Flutter Bugs and Tahoe Spinners. I've also caught them on Wiggle hoochies, Wedding Rings, Glow Bugs, HumDingers and Crip Lures. Almost anything in Hot Pink or Orange will get them.                                                        Anise sented corn is #1, Garlic is #2 and Sardine or Tuna is #3.                                                          Hope this helps.                                                                                                                              Kevin

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2021
I'm planning on day-tripping out Saturday the 13th.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Bullards Bar Fish'n'Chill Friday 5/12-Sunday 5/14, 2023

Hey all, planning a Fish n chill at Bullards Bar, Dark Day Camp/Launch the weekend of May 12-14th, 2023

We're going to catch some of those *Monster* Kokanee Salmon that lurk the depths of Bullards Bar.  These Kokes are the stuff of legend (said nobody)….if you eat one, you'll be so satisfied and stuffed…you might just eat 5 more.  There are also some bass and trouts to be had, but the Koke bite at BB is really a fun one.

We'll base out of the Dark Day Campground and Dark Day boat launch.  Friday night should be some campfires and barley pops to be had.  Saturday morning fishing, Saturday night we'll have a pot luck.  It has also been suggested we have some sort of fish competition, with a buy-in pot.  Sounds fun, still need to work out the details…after all, a sub-legal bass would still be bigger than a nice spring Koke from Bullards.  If we have a comp, I would plan on it being photo based - if you want to keep and eat the fish - do it, but I wouldn't want anyone to feel compelled to keep a fish, just to have it measured.

For those not familiar with Bullards, it’s a super nice place to go fishing.  If you go on a weekday, you'll have the lake to yourself…and be listening for any unwanted banjos.  Come on a weekend, especially in the summer, and you'll need to share the lake with a few folks.  Spring can be gorgeous up there, you get the early morning crisp air of the mountains, the unmistakable smell of pine in the air, and generally a lot of -----quiet---- which is nice.  The Kokes tend to be easy to find, but can hide on some days, they are small, with a limit of ten.  They cook very nicely whole, or just slice them in half, and pull the bones out after cooking.  Personally, I prefer the small BB Kokes to the larger kokes in Fallen Leaf Lake - I cannot yet compare them to the larger cokes over at Whiskeytown.

Camping spaces are limited so get one now if you want to join, and ideally plan to share it with another NCKA camper.

Agenda
   - Friday 5/12 pre-fish and/or arrive
      ○ Friday evening, walk campfire to campfire, chatting
   - Saturday 5/13
      ○ AM Fish
      ○ Afternoon: Biggest Fish comp picture turn in
      ○ PM Pot luck

Thats great posting up a chill, Brian.

The derby setup for fish pic competition is the way to go. I think all derbies should be set up as CPR and keep what you plan on taking/eating.  Especially for the saltwater. With so many different clubs descending on a area repeatedly for competitions. It really should be the way of the future. My 2 cents.

Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Anyone want to share your site?  might just day trip it :smt006
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Sure thing Ron!  :smt006

anything