Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 12:03:45 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Reel Question for the group  (Read 6567 times)

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Ok, it may be time for me to upgrade reels for kayaking, at least.  In the past for rockfishing I've used the classic Penn Squidder 146, (narrow spool), and 500's, as well as some classic Mitchell spinners.  I don't think I need that much line and weight for kayak fishing, though.

Actually the Squidder would be ok, size-wise, but I'm afraid the bearings would get fouled when dunked in the wash.

So my question is, is there a modern conventional reel that uses bushings rather than bearings, (like the old 500's), and is tuff and  easy to maintain, like the old Penns?

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Abu's! Inexpensive to medium expensive,bushing or bearing. Simple light weight construction and easy to service and hotrod. Different sizes to accommodate spectra in various combinations.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Pack the bearings with grease and go with it.

I just opened up my TLD15 that I blew out recently.  The side plate bearing had seized up and I didn't know it.  Over time the pinion gear, which sits up against this bearing, wore down.  After a while ... kaboom ... one dead reel.  Now I wish I had taken the time to pry up the bearing shields and pack them with grease.

-Allen

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
for stuff around here its hard to beat an ABU...I have many and have more on the way.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Another vote for the Abus. I've often felt that the Abu's are cheap enough that you don't worry about the wear and tear, but they are high enough quality that you can depend upon them when you have a good fish on.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Abu it is!

Can anyone recommend a specific model, with no bearings, no levelwind, squider-sized or smaller? 

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I love ABU's as well, great little reels, but if you want a little beefer go get a AVET SX.

tallpaul

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
Another great option is a narrow spool jigmaster...the 501. It is lighter, fits in the hand better, and casts better than the 500. It has bushings rather than bearings, and is easy to break down for service if it gets soaked. They don't make them anymore, so you'll have to keep your eyes open (ebay) or convert a standard jigmaster with narrow posts and spool. If you have a 500 sitting around, the conversion kits are maybe 35.00.

Easier to get an ABU, which I love as well, but the Penn is a reel suited for heavier use.

Either way, you can't go wrong.
Always willing to join others in the Monterey/Santa Cruz/Half Moon Bay area for a bit of fishing...feel free to contact me.

FishinJay

• Sunrise Prowler 15
  • Sea Lion
  • Indecision may, or may not, be my problem...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Abu it is!

Can anyone recommend a specific model, with no bearings, no levelwind, squider-sized or smaller? 

I'm not aware of a non-level wind bearing-less Abu, but the Ambassadeur 6500 C3 would probably meet your needs pretty well. I've used mine in the surf quite a bit and done nothing more than rinsed it off with the garden hose after each trip. It's held up well with minimal/non-existent maintenance.
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party. -Jimmy Buffett

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Those reels all look great, (especially that AVET SX- what a beauty!), but I'm just not sure bearings are a good thing on a reel that will have sand rinsed into it on a regular basis.  Think AK-47 of reels...  loose tolerances so the sand falls thru instead of jamming it, (like the Penn Jigmasters).

The Penn 501 looks like a good option, but still kinda large and heavy. 

alantani

• Salmon
  • View Profile
my choice would be a narrow spool jigmaster 501 with straight 30# mono and a jigmaster #24-56 power handle.  the 501 is the narrowed version of the 500 and has bushings, not bearings.  the 506 is narrowed version of the 505 which has the 5:1 gears and bearings. 

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The 501 is gonna be roughly the same size as the narrow spool squidder. I used mine on a heavier stick when fishing 8 oz's or more but that was rare.  I've had a love hate relationship with my Avet SX, its a small powerful reel capable of handling most any fish you'll encounter here.  I'm not convinced that the lever drag is that great, on my sx there's not much drag difference between full and strike to make a difference in switching. For a while I didn't like it cause I make drag adjustments while fighting fish all the time, yes I brake all the cardinal rules  :smt004, and thats something you simply can't do very easily with a lever drag. I think it would suit the needs of 95% of the fishermen.  Another reel thats gotten no mention here is the newell 220, its gonna be the same size class as the sx and larger abu's.  My 229(slightly larger than the 220) has served me well despite me constantly beating it up. As have my Ambassaduers and diawa. The trend toward smaller gear has generated a ton of capable reels.  As far as being bomb proof, no reel is, but I've had all the above mentioned reels in the yak sometimes submersed or splashed/sanded and haven't lost anything to corrosion....this is after only a quick freshwater spray down.  You might wanna figure out your budget, intended use and whether or not you won't mind losing premium gear should you take a swim then make the decision.     
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
Two other reels that have been a great value and have held up very well for me over the years...

Shimano TR100G... inexpensive and has bushings.  Very low maintenance and high performance if you upgrade the drags ala Alan Tani.  Nice and light in the hand.

Daiwa Sealine Linecounters (SG17LC and SG27LC).  I've done drag upgrades on these as well and they've been performing very well for me.  I use the 17 for rockfishing on my lighter rod that I use with up to 4 oz jigs.
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I don't mind paying good money for a reel that will last and not sieze up out on the water.  One good dunk in sandy water will make most reels useless immediately.  I fish with one rig, so it's gotta be a reliable.  I won't lose it...  one rig means I can keep it leashed at all times.

Thabks for all the suggestions.  That AVET looks sweet, the TR100G looks tuff, and the 501 is probably my top choice of what's been mentioned here.  Still I'd like a miniature version, though.

Looking over some old Penn specs, the 180 Baymaster looks like it could be just the ticket:  12.5 oz. compared to the 20 oz. 501, 250yards of 20lb, bushings...  this could be exactly what I'm looking for.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
IMO: an AVET pimped out by Alan Tani.....that's how I roll  :smt045 I LOVE the light weight of this reel and it's ability to handle some decent fish.

anything