General > Fish Talk

2024 Comerical Crab season closes April 4th (Northern Managment Area)

(1/4) > >>

AlsHobieOutback:
https://wildlife.ca.gov/News/Archive/cdfw-closes-commercial-dungeness-crab-fishery-and-restricts-recreational-crab-traps-in-the-central-management-area-limits-commercial-fishing-to-inside-30-f#gsc.tab=0

--- Quote ---CDFW Closes Commercial Dungeness Crab Fishery and Restricts Recreational Crab Traps in the Central Management Area, Limits Commercial Fishing to inside 30-Fathoms in Northern Management Area to Protect Whales from Entanglement
--- End quote ---

The Gopher:
So the “problem” isn’t a shortage of whales but rather an abundance of whales. Doesn’t seem to matter whether “conservation” efforts are successful or not, the “remedy” is always reduced opportunity. It just doesn’t seem like we are dealing with traditional efforts to preserve fisheries and protect endangered populations anymore. It’s becoming something closer to not wanting to hurt Mother Nature’s feelings, 

Bulldog---Alex:
I am sure not a popular response but enjoying 5 months of crab is more than enough for me(sport). Just my opinion. I guess my opinion would change with season not opening in November as scheduled.

I think it is more of a hit for commercial guys.

SpeedyStein:

--- Quote from: Bulldog---Alex on April 01, 2024, 02:30:13 PM ---I am sure not a popular response but enjoying 5 months of crab is more than enough for me(sport). Just my opinion.

I think it is more of a hit for commercial guys.

--- End quote ---

Definitely a hit for the commercial guys. Especially after a relatively rough season already. Short season, low prices. Tough times to fish commercially.

Bulldog---Alex:
As long as they don't come up with that ridiculous proposal of ropeless remote traps. Then its all over. :smt013

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version