Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:09:54 AM]

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "Sea-run" brown trout in the Trinity River...do they really exist?  (Read 9507 times)

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
We all know there are brown trout in the Trinity.  Some of them are pretty damn big too.  But I see a lot of talk on the Internet and fishing reports claiming that these larger browns are actually anadromous.  However, I've never heard of anyone catching a brown in the Klamath.  Nor have I ever heard of any browns being counted at the Willow Creek weir.  You'd think if they were anadromous, then they'd be at least somewhat common in the lower Klamath.

My thoughts on it: I think those big bruiser browns in the upper Trinity gorge themselves on the millions of naive hatchery salmon and steelhead smolts that are released from Lewiston, and that's how they get so big.  What do you guys think?  Does anyone have proof of sea-going brown trout in the Trinity River?
aMayesing Bros.

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I will have to dig deep into the memory bank, but thought I remember reading about a brown trout caught in Europe that had something from the ocean in its stomach.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:49:18 PM by Diroblo »
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Sea-run browns do exist, but the only place I've ever heard of them being mentioned on the west coast of the U.S. is the Trinity River.  Many people claim that river supports an anadromous population, but I was wondering if it's actually true or just a long-lasting rumor.
aMayesing Bros.

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
It's true. We have done a ton of work on the Trinity, I'll dig through some of our data and talk with our biologist who headed up our last telemetry studies. I lost a brown that was easily 15lbs after an hour fight at Steiners last year....that fish will haunt my dreams forever.
-beenfishin

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
It's true. We have done a ton of work on the Trinity, I'll dig through some of our data and talk with our biologist who headed up our last telemetry studies. I lost a brown that was easily 15lbs after an hour fight at Steiners last year....that fish will haunt my dreams forever.
-beenfishin
Ben, that'd be awesome if you could send me some of that data!  These mysterious sea-run browns have intrigued me for some years now, wondering if they're anadromous or resident.
aMayesing Bros.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Just go catch one and test it! Easy enough, right?  :smt003 Problem is you'd probably have to keep it if you want to test.
Btw how rad would it be to catch one in the ocean?
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I like the focus of your investigation.  It may be hard to prove based on information available, but I'll bet you will achieve an answer within a few years just by focusing on it and observing.  Good stuff.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

SeaWeed

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Well one way to tell is get one and put it in salt water tank. It will dehydrate if it isn't sea going. If I remember my Bio class about ocean vs fresh water fish. I have never heard of one caught in salt water. They might survive in brackish water but that I don't know.
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

matanaska

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Lost Coast Kayak Fishing Adventures
What about sea run cutthroat trout.  Aren't there sea run cutthroat too?  Little river by Moonstone is supposed to have some big cutthroat trout.
https://www.facebook.com/lostcoastkayakfishing

1st Place 2015 Trinidad Rockfish Wars V
1st Place 2014 CCKA AOTY
1st Place 2011 Trinidad Rockfish Wars I
2nd place 2012 Trinidad Rockfish Wars II
3rd Place Albion Open 2013
4th Place AOTY 2013
7th Place 2012 GS6
2013 Hobie Worlds USA Team member

2015 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #420 of 500

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
A quick Internet search found a sea-run brown trout stocking program in New Jersey.  From the information given, it sounds like sea-run browns are really tough to catch!

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/crunbrn.htm

Just go catch one and test it! Easy enough, right?  :smt003 Problem is you'd probably have to keep it if you want to test.
It would be MOST RAD to catch a brown in the ocean.  So rad that I'd probably pee my pants in excitement  :smt005.  Seriously, it'd be awesome!  And I think the limit would be three, right?  Like for sea-run cutts from the ocean?

What about sea run cutthroat trout.  Aren't there sea run cutthroat too?  Little river by Moonstone is supposed to have some big cutthroat trout.
I've heard about the sea-run cutts in the Little River.  Never tried for them though.  I would imagine there are also sea-run cutthroat in Big and Stone lagoons as well, and I've heard of a good run in the Smith River too.  In the Smith, they're supposed to reach 5-6 pounds and are a blast on a fly rod.
aMayesing Bros.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
A quick Internet search found a sea-run brown trout stocking program in New Jersey.  From the information given, it sounds like sea-run browns are really tough to catch!

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/crunbrn.htm

It would be MOST RAD to catch a brown in the ocean.  So rad that I'd probably pee my pants in excitement  :smt005.  Seriously, it'd be awesome!  And I think the limit would be three, right?  Like for sea-run cutts from the ocean?

I've heard about the sea-run cutts in the Little River.  Never tried for them though.  I would imagine there are also sea-run cutthroat in Big and Stone lagoons as well, and I've heard of a good run in the Smith River too.  In the Smith, they're supposed to reach 5-6 pounds and are a blast on a fly rod.

If I remember correctly, sea run Brown Trout = No take, No Possession in CA (if caught in the ocean). 
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
I found this in the ocean regulations for 2012-13.  It'd be a long-shot to even catch ONE sea-run brown, but if it happened, looks like you'd be in the clear to keep it!

27.70. TROUT IN THE OCEAN.
(a) Methods of take: The trout must voluntarily take the bait or lure in its mouth.
(b) Limit: Three, except the take of steelhead rainbow trout in the ocean is prohibited
aMayesing Bros.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
I found this in the ocean regulations for 2012-13.  It'd be a long-shot to even catch ONE sea-run brown, but if it happened, looks like you'd be in the clear to keep it!

27.70. TROUT IN THE OCEAN.
(a) Methods of take: The trout must voluntarily take the bait or lure in its mouth.
(b) Limit: Three, except the take of steelhead rainbow trout in the ocean is prohibited

I stand corrected.  Thanks Clayman! :smt006

sigelvictory

• Sea Lion
  • ahem, did you not get the memo?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Has anyone actually ever caught a trout in the ocean?  I have always heard that it is next to impossible.  Never heard why exactly, just far-fetched sounding stuff that makes steelhead in the ocean sound more like the boogie man.  On any account... given the nature of rainbows, and their migratory habits, it really wouldn't surprise me to find out that most trout are at the very least "capable" of going to sea. 
Never trust a man that doesnt like to fish...

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
Has anyone actually ever caught a trout in the ocean?  I have always heard that it is next to impossible.  Never heard why exactly, just far-fetched sounding stuff that makes steelhead in the ocean sound more like the boogie man.  On any account... given the nature of rainbows, and their migratory habits, it really wouldn't surprise me to find out that most trout are at the very least "capable" of going to sea.

The ability to go out to sea is probably a very adventitious evolutionary mechanism.  I imagine that during the last ice age, trout and other potentially anadromous fish in the northern hemisphere were able to survive by migrating south through the ocean ocean when their native streams froze solid.