Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:55:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:59:52 PM]

[Today at 12:51:17 PM]

[Today at 10:34:13 AM]

[Today at 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: SLO life. Let the bugging begin! Hoop nets  (Read 1453 times)

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Well I have been settling into life in the Central Coast.  It is much busier down here, but the weather and scenery can not be beat.  Living 5 min from the ocean is the best part!  It is hard living, 77 degrees today, the sun shining and waves lapping the shore.....

I did purchase a shark shield.  With all the sightings and incidents lately I figured it was worth it for the piece of mind.  I got the Freedom 7, it seems well made and the battery reportedly lasts 6 hours.  It will be nice for my diving too.

I went out and bought a couple of Promar Ambush hoop nets.  I got them rigged "lobster style" with reflective tape and glow sticks.  I also have a flat hoop net I will take for a third trap.  The traps are well made and at 32" fit perfect on the kayak.  I took a look at the Promar Eclipse, but it was too large to handle on the kayak.  These fit the bill perfectly.  I notice all the kayakers down here recommend them, as the size and weight are a good fit.

I will try locally here for a few trips.  I know there have to be some lobster around Port San Luis, we are not that far north of Point Conception.  I think most are just tight lipped about it.  At worst I will be rewarded with rock crabs and spider crabs.  I do want to take some trips south to the better spots.  Santa Barbara is only an hour and half from me now.  I may take the family camping at Refugio beach and give it a try for a couple of nights.  I will take my scuba gear in case the hooping does not pay off.

Once fishing season hits I hope to have some good fishing reports to post up.  I know it really isn't NorCal any more, but saltwater is saltwater!  Hope everyone is making it through the off season well.  I am headed down at minus tide for some fishing and poke poling at Shell Beach.  I caught a few octopus there last week.  I let them go as they were tiny, my daughter named them and released them to grow larger.

Hope all my NorCal Slayer buddies are doing well!  I really enjoy reading the reports from Shasta and Whiskey Town.

bloodbath

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Thanks for the update! Looks like you are ready to rock.
Get it dialed so we can come and visit you :smt002
2011 Albion Open 1st place
2014 Lowrance Rockfish Classic 1st place
Kayaks are cool!

Joesmoe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Glad your liking that part of the coast, I hope you post in the hook up section so some of us valley people can come fish with you, I've always liked the central coast, and don't need much if an excuse to go a fish there.
2011 Hobie outback
2012 Ride 135

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
good stuff Matt! Whenever we head to Ventura is see those oil platforms south of pismo and I dream of a trip out to them. They have to hold fish right?
-Eric Berg

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I know what you are talking about!  I see the Texas boys catch monster fish off their oil platforms, why can't we!  Monster yellow tail and sea bass just waiting for the adventurous angler...

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I know what you are talking about!  I see the Texas boys catch monster fish off their oil platforms, why can't we!  Monster yellow tail and sea bass just waiting for the adventurous angler...

easy AI sail with the right wind! Happy to tow!
-Eric Berg

beenfishin

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
Glad to hear you're settled in and doing well Matt.  By all means keep the reports coming in, someday I'd like to retire to Morro Bay so it's nice to keep tabs on the area.  :smt001

monterey jack

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
What do you use for lobster bait?
Thanks

liverbass

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
When I was in socal we would use predominantly mackerel.  Sometimes when the sea lions got bad we would switch to chicken but in my experience mackerel out performed everything else.

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
I'm happy to hear the new diggs is working well for you. Can't wait for the "southern" reports to start rolling in  :smt003
T.L. Tim
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

anything