Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 24, 2024, 08:29:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:08:28 PM]

[Today at 07:21:30 PM]

[Today at 07:11:31 PM]

[Today at 06:01:45 PM]

[Today at 04:01:27 PM]

[Today at 04:00:28 PM]

[Today at 02:52:40 PM]

[Today at 02:38:42 PM]

[Today at 02:11:49 PM]

[Today at 09:55:40 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:30:29 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 05:11:55 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 03:46:30 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 02:42:27 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 12:00:28 PM]

by ark
[May 23, 2024, 11:23:04 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:43:21 PM]

[May 22, 2024, 08:14:55 PM]

[May 22, 2024, 09:18:53 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 09:39:30 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 08:33:11 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 07:11:06 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:34:07 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:33:37 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:59:41 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 08:50:40 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: took a chance and installed a motor on my Hobie Outback.  (Read 2491 times)

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
I don't mind pedaling at all.  I can go 3mph for a very long time. 

let me back up:  I fish 100% fresh water and pretty much only for Largemouth Bass.  I have gone 4 years with leg-power.  I'm fine with it.  but there are some more distant waters I want to get to this year.  well, I can get there eventually, but the push home can get exhausting. 

I figured I will try a motor.  I went for the Newport Vessel NK180, coupled with a Dakota Lithium 24v 60aH battery.  the battery fits inside my blackpak easily.  the back of a Hobie Outback is very rigid.  the mount doesn't move at all.   I think I will only use the motor on lakes like Clearlake and Berryessa.  last year my friend almost wiped me out on a Berryessa marathon where I had to keep up with him and his motored kayak..with my legs.  I did 4mph for way too long.   he was eating jerky and sipping coffee...I was mouth breathing.  :D

small lakes and the Delta, I will stay human powered.  I tend to hunt the skinny waters in the Delta anyways. 

pics later.

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
That's a nice strong brushless motor for kayaks.

I don't have one but I get a tow every now and then after our long fishing trips. It's faster than I can pedal for extensive time. I know what you mean about mouth breathing  :smt044 :smt044

It's normally on sale during black friday so hopefully you didn't pay full price.
-Jason

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I've been eyeing over a very similar package - curious to see your review once you've used it a few times. 

Same situation - I have no problem pedaling or paddling for most of the day, but really want to get out a little further and be able to station keep a little easier. 

I recently purchased a 13ft tinny, which came with a 40lb Minn Kota.  It's older, but works well.  Kinda thinking about rigging it up and trying it out, and then upgrading to a little lighter setup if it works well with my kayak. 
- Kevin

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
That's a nice strong brushless motor for kayaks.

I don't have one but I get a tow every now and then after our long fishing trips. It's faster than I can pedal for extensive time. I know what you mean about mouth breathing  :smt044 :smt044

It's normally on sale during black friday so hopefully you didn't pay full price.

Yea. I got the deal.  On the battery as well.  All the accoutrements needed?  Not so much. :)

spaghetti

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2019
+1....Been towed as well by one after a long day pedaling against the current. Has me thinking as well. Love to hear your review

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Read the article and got curious. Checked out the motor and battery set up. Was thinking may be time. THEN looked at price. NO go for me. Thinking if I have to go that far then will give my buddy gas money and go in his boat and be comfy.
Nice rig but in my mind totally negates the true purpose of a kayak.

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
I fish a lot with two members, Wolf 94 and FishCampGuy. They both have Outbacks. I have had a motor on my FeelFree Moken for several years and eventually convinced them to come to the dark side and get trolling motors. They both went with the Newport Vessel NK180 system and could not be happier. Having a trolling motor only enhances the fishing experience. It allows us to just kick back and enjoy the fishing and take in the surroundings. It's the best of both worlds. If you want paddle or peddle you can but now you have a third option to enjoy. I know it's not cheap but it's totally worth it to me due to my age, fitness and bad knees. The only draw back is the registration and honestly, it's not that big of a deal if you do your homework before going to the DMV.
Kevin
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
So what is the homework besides Make, model and serial

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile

I have yet to step foot in the DMV with "hat in hand".  but I think I am off to a good start.

I have the OG receipt.  check.
Billy at Windtoys filled out a form (manufacturers statement of origin)
and I still need to fill out the Vessel Registration form.
check book.  Billy said to make sure they don't recharge me TAX.  point it out on the receipt that I already paid tax!!  I heard it is around $100.

the pain will be at some launches, they have a different launch fee for motorized things.  I pay $17 at Lake Comanche.  I bet it doubles when they see my reg-numbers.  :(

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Depends on weather you bought your kayak new or used.
 If new, you should have received paperwork with the Hull # on it. You'll need that and your receipt to prove that you already paid state taxes. Otherwise they will try and charge you for that.
If bought used, you'll need the bill of sale showing the amount you paid. You'll have to pay taxes on that amount. I know some people just make one up showing a low amount like $150.
There's lots of info on this site and others. Just search "how to register my kayak". The DMV has instruction on registering a vessel on their website too.
It also depends on what DMV you go to and the teller you get. Some of them just don't get it and want to charge you back fees for the motor from the time you bought it. If they try that, tell them no, you are registering it now so you CAN put a motor on it.
It can be frustrating. Just keep your cool and ask for a Supervisor or Manager if you have any problems.
Kevin

VincentChen

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2022
You only need a bill of sale signed by the 'seller' (make sure you mentioned you paid the tax already, otherwise, write $100 for the price) and the BOAT 101 form. That is it.
2009 Hobie Revolution 13
2017 Hobie Outback
2019 Hobie AI

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
If they try that, tell them no, you are registering it now so you CAN put a motor on it.
It can be frustrating. Just keep your cool and ask for a Supervisor or Manager if you have any problems.
Kevin

i like this advice.  i have the form-101 filled out except the part about the motor.   i took out all the accessories from my sale reciept and just included the kayak cost + tax.  thus far.  i need to find my motor reciept, just in case

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Instead of a motor maybe you could say your adding a sail as alternative.  :smt004

I actually got a trolling motor a few years ago, and if I got a battery and pwm thing it would be nice to try it out for trolling for trout for hours on end.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
well.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

the DMV lady was clueless, but she was kind and delightful.  very apologetic for not knowing how to do a kayak.  she said I was her first.  I replied, "you know you always remember your first".  she laughed, and all was better after that.

I went with full disclosure.  I didnt want bad juju, with my kayak by trying to skirt extra fees from the cost of the motor.  I handed her my form101, Manufacturer Statement of Origin, my kayak sales receipt, my motor receipt.  she tapped away, went back to ask questions, etc.

she came back and said, "that will be $104".

Boom!!!  honesty paid off!.  I finished that, and her and I worked out her first MUSSEL sticker sale. 
when I left, wished her a day of only car registrations.  she laughed. 

I am GOOD TO GO!

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Glad it worked out for you so easy. There are a ton of horror stories about people having to go back multiple times and end up paying hundreds of $$$.

anything