Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2024, 01:42:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:28:36 PM]

[Today at 01:14:51 PM]

[Today at 01:07:31 PM]

by B0B
[Today at 12:42:12 PM]

[Today at 11:21:22 AM]

[May 26, 2024, 07:01:42 PM]

[May 26, 2024, 05:59:49 PM]

[May 26, 2024, 03:23:00 PM]

[May 26, 2024, 11:52:16 AM]

[May 26, 2024, 07:53:37 AM]

[May 25, 2024, 03:46:14 PM]

[May 25, 2024, 08:34:22 AM]

by capo
[May 24, 2024, 10:38:50 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 08:08:28 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 07:11:31 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:01:45 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 02:38:42 PM]

[May 24, 2024, 09:55:40 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:30:29 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 05:11:55 PM]

[May 23, 2024, 03:46:30 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Why I want to upgrade to 2020+ Outback from 2017  (Read 2375 times)

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I currently use 2017 Hobie Outback (Camo) as my solo kayak.  It is a great kayak but I am considering upgrading to 2020+ model Outback for several reasons.

1.  Kick-up fins - I think it will be easier with surf launching and landing with kick-up fins.  Most days, I will remove my mirage drive and use the paddle for launching and landing.  With the kick-up fin future, I might use peddle drive for faster launching and landing.

2.  Rear handle - Able to use the handle to hold on to the kayak during surf landing in the worst-case conditions.  Basically you jump in the water and hold on to the rear and use your body as an anchor during the landing.  It will make it easier to lift the kayak to place and remove a cart. 

3.  Kick-up rudder -  Not necessary to pull up the rudder and be able to use it during a landing.

Paul

Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Thanks for explaining those differences, I didn't know kick up rudder was a feature on the new OB's.  That could be really nice in the kelp! After seeing the new OB's recently I'm thinking it's time to finally upgrade.  :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
Paul,

If the surf is up I often launch my Revo with my GT drive installed w/ the fins held flat to the bottom of the boat with the provided bungie -- you can start jamming almost right away to make it out. You don't need kick-up fins for this. Just make sure to lift the front of the boat high enough not to drag the fins/bottom of the drive when you launch.

I wouldn't recommend landing with the drive still installed -- either a kick-up or any other mirage drive. I packed the bearings with sand once at Bo when the surf was up and I had to land on the Stinson side of the channel and then wheel it inside to get back across to my car on wharf road. I was being lazy and didn't pull the drive and paid the price.

Launching with the drive installed probably increases sand intrusion in the bearings as the water by the shore is full of sand from the wave action, but I haven't noticed it being too bad -- only when I was an idiot that time at Bo/Stinson.

If I were you I would do the upgrade for the hull and all the mounting options, but keep my GT drive -- they seem far more reliable than the newer ones.

Cheers,
Brad

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Hi Paul, I haven't used my 2017 Outback for over a year now, but I still love it. I actually bought a 2020 Outback early last year, but I didn't even used once and sold it to my friend. Frankly, I think the older Outback hull is well tested and practically issue-less.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

The three biggest reasons as to why you should upgrade to 2019+ Outbacks are below.  Keep in mind this is my opinion, your mileage may vary.
1.  New hull redesign - 2019+ are faster
2. Side rail configurations - these enables no drill attachments.
3. Rear handle - This is one of the most helpful addition.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:44:38 AM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
+1 for not landing with the drive installed. I have kick up fins that I accidentally landed with this weekend. Like Chopper said, they got a lot of sand in the bearings and it doesn't wash out with a hose.
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)
LIVE Watersports L4 Expedition w/ 2.5 HP outboard (green hull, white deck)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I have old drives that can't take abuse, so I prefer the pull out method every time  :smt005  But I did hit a rock coming in at Albion dead on that bent my shaft   :smt044 It would have been nice to have them kick free that time. 

What year did they start the retractable bungees on the OB?  those are super cool as well!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Thank you for all your great comments.

I only used Kick-up fin once at La Jolla when I went yellowtail guided trip using my guide's gear.  At that time, my guide was working for Hobie before kick-up fin was released.  As we were preparing PA-14 to land, he told me to keep peddling until it stopped.  It was a very easy landing. 

I don't plan to use kick-up fins for every launch and landing, but if the surf is high and I have a high probability of having a yard sale, I would use kick-up fins.  I think cleaning mirage drive is easier than having a yard sale.  Currently, I own five mirage drives including three generations for our three kayaks.  I think kick-up fins would give me one more option for landing.

I would purchase a 2020+ Outback first and make sure I am happy before I sell my 2017 Outback to be safe.

Thank you again for your help.

Paul 
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
I have a 2020 outback and this hull design IMHO is better than the older one.  Some people complain the newer hull is wetter as tends to cut through a wave/swell rather than rise over it.  I figure if one wants to be dry then get a boat.  This newer hull design goes more efficiently into weather with less effort.  The handle in the back is very useful, as is the bow handle...remember whichever end is closer to the oncoming surf is the end you want to be holding prior to getting in the kayak or after getting out.  In salt water the kickup fins are really not useful, I've had kelp catch with the kick up the fins without kicking up the fins, but no big deal-just raise up the drive and free it.  I would not land or launch with the drive in place in any situation where sand is in the water (surf), especially launching.  If you get sand (and you will) you are now operating the drive for hours with sand in nooks and crannies..not good.  If you get sand in it while landing, at least you wash it out soon.  Always rinse it very well with fresh water, and after a few days when its dry lube it up (hobie has a good youtube video on this).  Even if you take good care of the drive it likely won't last the three years to the end of warranty.  Before the 3 years is up take it in for service, I can almost guarantee it will require something (probably a $380 spline).  the older GT drives (no pickup and no reverse) are much more reliable and have far less moving parts.  The side rails are great (I have a downrigger and FF attached to one side with plenty of leg room leftover.
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Thank you for all your great comments.

I only used Kick-up fin once at La Jolla when I went yellowtail guided trip using my guide's gear.  At that time, my guide was working for Hobie before kick-up fin was released.  As we were preparing PA-14 to land, he told me to keep peddling until it stopped.  It was a very easy landing. 

interesting, I have the kick up, but always pull the drive before landing - didn't even think about just jamming in to the landing. hmmm may need to try that.

cam3087

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
Hey 123engineering, just sent a pm.
2nd Place 2014 Trinidad Rockfish Wars IV

anything