Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:44:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 04:11:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Use of waders  (Read 2479 times)

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I'll sell you a used 3mil farmer john wetsuit for 20 bucks. I have 4 wetsuits and 3 pairs of waders...but now I have a drysuit, so I won't be using my wetsuit as often. But I'll still be wearing my waders when fishing lakes. Or just straight boardshorts if its hot.
If you go with waders, just make sure to buckle the wading belt tight and wear a paddling jacket over the top. And a PFD, of course.

Until I got the drysuit, my foolproof attire was a wetsuit w/paddling pants and a paddling jacket over it. It kept me warm and dry.

What do you wear under your dry suit?

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morgan...Good socks for sure ( I use the ones from BPS, lifetime guarantee). This I use two base layers on the bottom. One that is wicking and one that is a bit fluffy. Basic snow/ski long underwear. I think one is Hot Chili's and one is REI. If its insane cold I have a pair of fleece sweats. Some combo of the three works. For the top I run a simple long sleeve top (like the ski bottoms) and a poly sweatshirt from REI. I tru and get stuff that doesn't have a collar and that fits a bit on the snug side. Tighter then I wear normally that way there is less bunching under the suit. Honestly the issue with the drysuit is getting TOO hot not cold. You can't really vent heat w/o compromising the safety of the suit. Oh I also toss a small cup in the boat to poor water over my legs and torso if it get hot. That really does help
-Eric Berg

pindo124

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2007
I agree with a lot of what Eric said. I used to use waders exclusively but after a close encounter with a humpback a few years ago - very curious pair - I finally took everyone's advice & upgraded. I had & have tried wetsuits, but for some reason never thought to wear the waders over the wetsuit. Good idea, and a great way to 'upgrade' cheap if you already have the waders.

But I finally bought a drysuit and love it. Just like waders but with a lot more peace of mind & safety. I researched, and found that the more expensive suits were in fact worth it. I figured, with my life potentially on the line, I'm going for the best I can find. So I saved up & bought one.

I wear clothes under the suit similar to Eric - a layer or 2 of poly something, at least one of them fleece. If you are in the water for awhile, that layer is going to keep you warm.

No matter what you choose, you should practice in that. Every year I practice in my drysuit, including swimming around in it for a bit, and every year I'm reminded of how tough it can be, no matter how well prepared you are.
Bill

CappyMoMo.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2010
I have been wearing street clothes (gasp) even though I have all the good stuff.  It has worked great do far but I imagine any immersion more than 1 min will leave chilly.  I have worn the street clothes because I just strip off the suit and head to work.  I imagine I should come correct.  Maybe the Mysterioso undergarments with another layer above. 

Eric Morgan
Trident Ultra 4.7
Not the guy selling the Outback
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.plantfertility.com
Trident Ultra 4.7
Morgan Consulting LLC Agronomy Pro Staff
Hating the Seahawks and the Raiders cause they suck.

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I wear shorts and a warm upper layer.even out in Santa Cruz.but I don't go out far ive only been out to the mile marker buoy once only.the last time I was out there my feet was getting cold from a little spray.very little but my feet got wet and was getting cold the sun wasn't out.if I get more ambitious and go out farther I think I'm gonna start wearing my wetsuit.
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
I recommend that waders should never be worn when kayak fishing in the ocean! Pat and I recently encountered a situation where our buddy wearing waders flipped the borrowed yak. He even stated that it was very difficult for him to get back on the yak when with water filled in his waders.

With that said, it's better to be safe than to look cool ;)

I started off with the Farmer John w/ relief zipper and it worked well. Only problem with that was the comfort level, which was why I moved onto a semi-dry suit combo (Kokatat Tempest Pant and Jacket). This year, I got myself a drysuit, and I love it!

With any drysuit, or semi-dtrysuit, underlaying is always necessary when ocean fishing here in Nor Cal waters. I will usually layer myself with Mysterioso pant/long sleeve combo and seal socks. It keeps me warm throughout my outing. If it's warmer than normal, I'll forgo the Mysterioso long sleeve and opt for a rashguard.

I recently got myself the NRS Boundary Shoe, and they work magic in keeping the feet/toes warm!! 

There are times where I do wear street/sleeping clothes underneath my drysuit, but only when I'm fishing lakes/rivers and never on the ocean. Never take the ocean for granted, and never underestimate its power!

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Found out that I had some extra money at REI being an unlimited member, I had no idea. Because of this I ordered my first Farmer Jane Wetsuit, now all i need is my paddle jacket, pfd and kayak shoes and ill be on ocean status lol
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Pisco Sicko

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
I use waders, but not alone, unless I'm on pretty warm water. On the saltwater I always use a drytop (latex gaskets). I jumped in my local lake years ago and floated around for about 5 minutes. Some water did trickle in (about cup), but I was pretty happy with the results. If I get too warm, and the conditions are mellow, I'll open the bottom of the top and vent some heat for a few minutes. I can also pee, if necessary. I used to be flyfishing guide back in WA, so had lots of waders laying around.

I wear all synthetics underneath the waders and drytop, including my scivies. I sweat a bunch and soggy cotton will get cold when I stop paddling or it gets windy. I also have a variety of layers that I use, depending on conditions.  In the summer I'll typically wearsynth longjohns or light fleece with shorts over them. The shorts give me pockets to use.

I'll probably pickup some FJs just to try them.
The Other Bill