Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 09:06:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:00:43 AM]

[Today at 09:00:32 AM]

[Today at 08:34:59 AM]

[Today at 07:28:21 AM]

by KPD
[Today at 07:11:13 AM]

[Today at 06:14:48 AM]

[October 25, 2024, 10:24:12 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 04:19:38 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 02:27:55 PM]

[October 25, 2024, 09:25:06 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 04:35:17 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 02:51:48 PM]

[October 24, 2024, 11:11:30 AM]

[October 24, 2024, 08:21:55 AM]

by Rick
[October 24, 2024, 08:16:44 AM]

by &
[October 24, 2024, 12:15:29 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 11:13:12 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 10:55:08 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 09:54:58 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 02:15:14 PM]

[October 23, 2024, 08:55:27 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:39:37 AM]

[October 23, 2024, 07:32:02 AM]

[October 22, 2024, 08:47:46 AM]

[October 21, 2024, 04:45:36 PM]

[October 21, 2024, 11:10:19 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS  (Read 73584 times)

PACIFICP1

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2024
Hi I AM HARRY SCHAEDLER FROM EL DORADO HILLS LOOK FORWARD TO  MEETING YOU ALL.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hi I AM HARRY SCHAEDLER FROM EL DORADO HILLS LOOK FORWARD TO  MEETING YOU ALL.
Hey HARRY!

Please read page one https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=76750.0 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Hello,
 I’ve semi retired and split my time between Kern and Lassen Counties. Fish and paddle around Buena Vista lake and Lake Almanor in a Pescador 12 or my float tube mostly. Recently picked up a Tarpon 120 to expand the fleet. While researching the Tarpon I found this forum and it seems to have a lot of good information on it, so I joined up.
Mike

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Welcome Mike!  You live in a very good place for trout, I hope to hear about your outings!  :smt004
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Thanks. Yes Lassen and Plumas county areas are amazing for trout. I’m down in Kern county right now taking care of family stuff and climbing the walls wanting to get back on Lake Almanor. That’s actually how I found this forum because I was looking for fish reports, researching the new to me tarpon, and daydreaming about getting back up there next month.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 03:20:33 PM by Mike1967 »

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Hello,
 I’ve semi retired and split my time between Kern and Lassen Counties. Fish and paddle around Buena Vista lake and Lake Almanor in a Pescador 12 or my float tube mostly. Recently picked up a Tarpon 120 to expand the fleet. While researching the Tarpon I found this forum and it seems to have a lot of good information on it, so I joined up.
Mike

Welcome , Mike

Almanor is a finicky lake that requires time on the lake . There was once a guy who somewhat tamed it .With stories of multiple species days.  :smt001 There were even folks trying to imitate his looks.  :smt005

Buena Vista is next on the list.

You can do a search for Almanor in the upper right corner, or any other topic.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 07:29:11 PM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback 12
12 ft aluminum recon
15.5 westcoaster alum
1802 bayliner trophy 115 honda

Im Broke

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Bulldog—-Alex,
  Thanks. Yes I’ve been reading a bunch of Clayman’s reports on Almanor over the last several hours.  Priceless information there. In the summer and fall I’ve fished it quite a bit, but mostly fish the tributaries, so my knowledge of the lake is pretty limited. Clayman on the other hand seems to know every inch of it and how every change in season and weather effects it.  Really good stuff.

Buena Vista isn’t even comparable to Almanor. It’s shallow, small, and murky. But it’s big enough to paddle around and chase fish now and then. Sure beats working. Lol

Boardlftr

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2024
New member here. Haven't been fishing in a couple years. Have no pics to upload as of late, only the love of fishing. Looking at kayaks, and thinking about where I'll be fishing at now 65 yrs.
I remember the first  party boat trip I took, at 15 yrs old, took A/C transit bus from East O to Berkeley marina for an 1/2 day trip on a boat called the "highliner", the skipper was a big dude named Lauren. I gave him the $15 bucks fare, showed him my fishing license, and off we went. The boat had a cap of 15 passengers, that there were 4. I thought we'd be heading to the beaches near Pacifica for striped bass and was disappointed when he said " tides aren't right for the stripes right now, but don't worry son, I,m going to put us on some fish". We went under the gate, the breakers crashing over the south tower as motored past, making the turn south to start a drift about 100 yards off seal rocks. I took my pole to the live bait well and the skipper hooked a live anchovy up through the nose and said "fish here" pointing to a spot on the rail where he could keep an eye on me. He said "it's a sandy bottom, if you feel anything, pull 8" from your reel, point your tip down, when your line goes tight, Haul back on 'em and set it hard". Not a minute later my heart stopped , my line had tightened, I gave it some slack, and set the hook. My pole bent way down, I thought I was snagged on the bottom, but the skipper yelled down " there's only sand down there, you have a halibut! I did everything I cou!d to lift the rod tip, but it held fast until the the shipper yelled down from the flying bridge " if you don't get that f===king fish up, I'm cutting it loose!==damned if I'm crashing my boat on the rocks over your fish. You gotta get that fish up now!".
I tightened the drag lifted hard and the fish came up, finally. It was 42lbs, just 4lbs short of state record at the time. I caught another that was 28lbs. The skipper asked if I wanted to come out on future trips and get paid $20 to clean the fish, and wash the boat after fishing.I went out every summer day that I could  until I turned 17.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Ah, the good ol days. Thanks for the write up and welcome.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback 12
12 ft aluminum recon
15.5 westcoaster alum
1802 bayliner trophy 115 honda

Im Broke

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
New member here. Haven't been fishing in a couple years. Have no pics to upload as of late, only the love of fishing. Looking at kayaks, and thinking about where I'll be fishing at now 65 yrs.
I remember the first  party boat trip I took, at 15 yrs old, took A/C transit bus from East O to Berkeley marina for an 1/2 day trip on a boat called the "highliner", the skipper was a big dude named Lauren. I gave him the $15 bucks fare, showed him my fishing license, and off we went. The boat had a cap of 15 passengers, that there were 4. I thought we'd be heading to the beaches near Pacifica for striped bass and was disappointed when he said " tides aren't right for the stripes right now, but don't worry son, I,m going to put us on some fish". We went under the gate, the breakers crashing over the south tower as motored past, making the turn south to start a drift about 100 yards off seal rocks. I took my pole to the live bait well and the skipper hooked a live anchovy up through the nose and said "fish here" pointing to a spot on the rail where he could keep an eye on me. He said "it's a sandy bottom, if you feel anything, pull 8" from your reel, point your tip down, when your line goes tight, Haul back on 'em and set it hard". Not a minute later my heart stopped , my line had tightened, I gave it some slack, and set the hook. My pole bent way down, I thought I was snagged on the bottom, but the skipper yelled down " there's only sand down there, you have a halibut! I did everything I cou!d to lift the rod tip, but it held fast until the the shipper yelled down from the flying bridge " if you don't get that f===king fish up, I'm cutting it loose!==damned if I'm crashing my boat on the rocks over your fish. You gotta get that fish up now!".
I tightened the drag lifted hard and the fish came up, finally. It was 42lbs, just 4lbs short of state record at the time. I caught another that was 28lbs. The skipper asked if I wanted to come out on future trips and get paid $20 to clean the fish, and wash the boat after fishing.I went out every summer day that I could  until I turned 17.

Nice intro. I grew up in Oakland, and fished the boats out of Emeryville, and Berkeley mostly for salmon with my dad. Fished a lot at Lafayette, and San Pablo Reservoirs for trout, bluegill, and crappie. I’m a couple of years older, and most of the peddle drive kayaks are too heavy for me to move around on my own. I think the Hobie Revo 13 is about the lightest that you can fish pretty much anywhere. I ended up with an Eddyline Caribbean 14. It only weighs 50lbs so I can get it around pretty easily. I have been having a great time fishing from the kayak.

I took classes at CCK before pulling the trigger to make sure I was up for it. Decided to go for it, and now have the knowledge leaned in the classes. Hope to see you on the water.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler
2024 Stealth Elite 530

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

Cool story, thanks for sharing! Welcome aboard!
- Kevin

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Cool story, thanks for sharing! Welcome aboard!

Yes, very cool story!
But oh, that magic feeling,
Nowhere to go,
Nowhere to go!

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: Boardlftr

Great intro.  Welcome.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Welcome aboard Boardlftr  :smt006. Thanks for the nice introduction story.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."