Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 29, 2024, 09:47:48 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:56:50 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Garmin FF fails... again!  (Read 4832 times)

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I would like one for the hook7 if you're selling them Ernest  :smt003
Don't want to sell due to possible 1099k impact next year, but you can have one if you're willing to pick up from Union City.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
With this clip, the plugs have solid connections and do not pop out.
If I have a unit in my hands to take measurements with, I can probably make something similar for the Garmin.

The plugs on my Garmin are very tight, and I've never had any trouble with them disconnecting. I used to think they looked really cheap and would never hold up, but in my experience, they're remarkably durable.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
My least favorite part of my Garmin is that the cables pull out of the back of the device...

A while back I was helping someone fix the power issue on his Lowrance Hook7. I was surprised to see that the plugs do not latch on or screw down. Why would Lowrance do something like that? My older Ti-7 has screw-on plugs that lock and seal. I couldn't believe how companies would go backward on their design.
I was so mad about those plugs not able to stay connected, I designed a retainer clip to fix their design flaws. Not only does this solve a flaky connection issue, the guy was never able to use di-electrical grease on the plugs before because the grease make it impossible for the connectors to stay plugged in. With this clip, the plugs have solid connections and do not pop out.

If I have a unit in my hands to take measurements with, I can probably make something similar for the Garmin.

Interesting fix. I don't have an issue with the cord coming loose during use, but would rather have it permanently connected to prevent corrosion and problems associated with frequent plugging/unplugging.  To be fair though, I haven't had any issues, so maybe I am looking for a solution to a non-issue.  I do dab a little dielectric grease in there every so often.
- Kevin

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Sorry I misunderstood the plug issue, thinking its the same issue as the one in those Hook units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Sorry I misunderstood the plug issue, thinking its the same issue as the one in those Hook units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worries - your bracket looks great for holding the cable in place.
- Kevin

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
My Striker 4 is still going after maybe 5 years of moderate use in the salt. Last year, I started getting a little interference on the screen. Checked things out, and there was oxidations on the contacts from the transducer to the monitor. Scraped it out with a paperclip, and it's been good to go this year.
Fish & let fish

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Got the replacement unit from Garmin. I might have to test it out tomorrow...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
You're so happy!  I'm happy for you.  It's me...Dave... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Fuzzywuzzy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022

Interesting thread, even if I'm about three months late. My year-old Garmin Striker 4 head unit won't power up, so I came to this board looking for possible answers. I think I have ruled out as problems my battery (nocqua 10Ah), the fuse (visually inspected), and the power cable (garmin thought this might be the problem and sent me a new one).  I don't see any appreciable corrosion.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? I just emailed Garmin tech support to let them know the power cable doesn't appear to be the problem; not sure what they'll say. Maybe I should ask them for a new head unit like NowhereMan. But I'm about a month past the end of warranty.

It's good to know I can use the same transducer and wiring if I upgrade to a fancier Garmin. I wouldn't want to have to redo all of that, which is now a disincentive to changing FF brands.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#

Interesting thread, even if I'm about three months late. My year-old Garmin Striker 4 head unit won't power up, so I came to this board looking for possible answers. I think I have ruled out as problems my battery (nocqua 10Ah), the fuse (visually inspected), and the power cable (garmin thought this might be the problem and sent me a new one).  I don't see any appreciable corrosion.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? I just emailed Garmin tech support to let them know the power cable doesn't appear to be the problem; not sure what they'll say. Maybe I should ask them for a new head unit like NowhereMan. But I'm about a month past the end of warranty.

It's good to know I can use the same transducer and wiring if I upgrade to a fancier Garmin. I wouldn't want to have to redo all of that, which is now a disincentive to changing FF brands.

I'd definitely suspect the head unit. On my older Garmin, the plastic seemed to be a lot more durable, and even the smallest amount of flex is going to let water inside.

anything