Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:31:45 PM]

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking at a Tarpon 140 or Eddyline 14, going back to paddle over pedal?  (Read 4955 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I piloted a Hobie Adventure/Revo 16 for a couple years before getting an AI. I also had a Caribbean 14 for a while, and my brother has one now. I didn't use the Eddyline too much, but it is very capable, and if I was to go back to paddling, that's what I'd get.

Having said that, have you tried loading your Hobie from the side, like this guy does?

I use the side-loading/unloading approach whenever I cartop my Hobie, and it makes a huge difference.
This.  The Hullavator is a back breaker.  Why not just use the truck bed?

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I do use the bed sometimes with a hitch extender,  but it doesn’t work when I am hauling my travel trailer.  Or when I need to secure camp gear in the camper.

That link still isn’t working for me for the side load trick.  I will try a few different browsers and see if it shows up.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:10:51 PM by Fish N' Chips »

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I got the link to work on Chrome.  Thanks. That’s a good trick, I will give it a try.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Darius, is it the 14?   I may take a look at the kayaks at Headwaters tomorrow and see if I like it and will let you know. I will send you a PM.

Al, I tried shifting the hullavator and rack this morning but do not like it.  I have to push it so far out to clear the side, the kayak center weight is balanced off the rack post.   It was more manageable to lift, but dont think it’s  going to work with this truck.  The bed flare throws it off, it works; I just am not sure i would trust it going down the road. Its putting a lot of strain on the mounts and camper shell. Even our 30 mph winds today are making the bars flex a lot where it sits.

The picture makes it look farther inboard, but its hanging over the side of the camper quite a bit.   

That actually looks pretty good to me, as long as it doesn't ding at all when lowering it.  But I load mine face down, with the rear aka cross bar right up to the left hullavator.  When I lift it I only lift it flat off my wheels, and rest the left side in the cradles, not trying to lift it sideways.  Then I just rotate upwards and it sinks into the cradles and run a strap through the top of both cradles.  I also always do a front and rear tie-down, because the older hullavator has way to much bounce and give.  But with front and rear, it's solid.  I go 80 mph with my 4Runner no problems hahah
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Miss our old Shelter Cove Tourneys Al!  Glad to see you still at it. Have not heard from BanjoTad and Fisheducator in years.  I still make lures and got into some very cool swim baits when I was living in SLO.

The pictures dont do it justice, some would run this but I have seen the results of bad loading and don’t trust it.  It may be ok, but the bars have more flex that I am comfortable with, and the balance is off on the towers for such a heavy kayak.  I always use front and rear tie outs, but over do everything  :smt001. It probably would work but my job makes me too much of a safety sally at time, lol

I played around with side and rear loading and it works using some of the tricks and tips.  Granted I am a bit older now and lost a lot of  strength in my shoulder from the surgery, but feel it’s manageable.  For local trips its going in the bed, but least I know I can do it on the racks for long drives and trailer trips. I am happy as I love my 16’ adventure.

Its always been a hate on land and a love on the water.  This kayak is fast and I have always loved it. It amazing in bad conditions, to the point I kissed the beach upon landing! The first time at GMS I watched ArielSea walk away from me on his 16’ wilderness (I had a OK Prowler 13 at the time)  I saw the advantage of a long kayak in the ocean, especially when trying to out run tailing seas.

I plan to head to Headwaters this week for some testing of a smaller kayak.  I really like the eddyline and wilderness, but am leaning toward the Wilderness 140.  A lot cheaper (more money to outfit it), and make a good spare or trip specific kayak.  I wont know till I try them and lift both onto the truck. 

I am excited about some summer trips.  I have been out of the game too long and the excitement of being released to have fun again is fantastic!

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Miss our old Shelter Cove Tourneys Al!  Glad to see you still at it. Have not heard from BanjoTad and Fisheducator in years.  I still make lures and got into some very cool swim baits when I was living in SLO.

Some of my fondest memories of NCKA history  :smt003  I was just telling someone recently about your sharing the Whiskey Flip with us that year.  :beer2 And yeah, Ariel and his T160 I remember fondly as well, as he towed my sunken T13 to shore when I got rescued.  :smt005  I'm loving my AI, the old outback just gathers dust.  I'm also looking for another yak for surf launching that is light and easy to carry and load.  I have a T160 lined up actually and need to get it and start getting used to it.  But that Caribbean 14 looks like such a fun paddle craft too.  I still want to try it out when I can someday.  The Viking ProFisha if I could find one would be another good candidate. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Rock Hopper

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Global Moderator
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005

Some of my fondest memories of NCKA history  :smt003  I was just telling someone recently about your sharing the Whiskey Flip with us that year.  :beer2 And yeah, Ariel and his T160 I remember fondly as well, as he towed my sunken T13 to shore when I got rescued.  :smt005  I'm loving my AI, the old outback just gathers dust.  I'm also looking for another yak for surf launching that is light and easy to carry and load.  I have a T160 lined up actually and need to get it and start getting used to it.  But that Caribbean 14 looks like such a fun paddle craft too.  I still want to try it out when I can someday.  The Viking ProFisha if I could find one would be another good candidate.

I have an extra C14 that you can borrow any time, my dude.

In Loving Memory of Mooch, Eelmaster, Shicken, and Cabeza De Martillo

I started kayak fishing to get away from most of you...

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Mmmm, the flip will definitely flip you!  Was sorry to see GMS canceled this year.  Lots of personal fear still about COVID.  I am lucky where I live as nothing ever changed for me, worked every day and no masks.

Got my tackle ready and new line on my rods (especially with river salmon coming up!).  I need to make some more swimbaits for lings.  I made some glow in the dark keitech style swimbaits and hammered the lings a few years back.  Only 40 fr of water but must have looked like a squid.

I went through my kayak today.  Ordered some new rudder line due to some slight fraying (to have as backup as not needing replacement quite yet), rudder pins and new gloves.   Lubed hatches, hinges, pedals, and the rudder.  Cleaned it all up and its looking good. 

I belong to a group of Coleman/Lantern collectors and there is talk of a trip to the coast this summer.  I want to be ready for some fishing!

I would have headed out today but these high winds are keeping me off the water.  I did need the time to organize and prep my gear though.  Amazing how stuff can get scattered after a few years of non-use!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 05:26:06 PM by Fish N' Chips »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I still regret selling my Eddyline Caribbean. It was a great kayak. Not just because the weight—but it just paddles better, silky smooth and zero hull-flex.
Another brand to consider is Crescent. They are very light but sturdy (and made in the USA!). My uncle has a couple of the Ultralites that he bought from Headwaters and I really enjoy paddling them.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Looks like a pretty old thread but to put in something about tarpons

Mine is first design t160 and 63lbs empty. I was coming from 45lb glass so it seemed heavy to me but of all the yaks i test drove seemed best. As far as plastic goes it’s probably still one of the best especially in a rough ocean

I put it to the test many times and it passed w colors. Good handling and easy enough to flip over in some pretty nasty situations and got me home

It will never be a stealth but they’re just different beasts

Anyway the tarpons seem underrated, not many around. I was going to sell mine a few years ago and now glad nobody bit re I may do some local fishing on it when the opportunity arrives

We are contemplating pedals as in TI for a variety of reasons mostly to get out w my son

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I still regret selling my Eddyline Caribbean. ...

Me too.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

anything