Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:56:50 PM]

[Today at 03:38:07 PM]

[Today at 03:22:32 PM]

[Today at 01:56:07 PM]

[Today at 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Car camping near SF?  (Read 2811 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I’ve got a rare opportunity to multitask this Friday, with some shore fishing in the AM then touristy stuff with the family in SF for the rest of the day. So I’m looking for some place to car camp (literally, “camping” in my car) Thursday night. Ideally, it would be sort of somewhere between San Jose (or Santa Cruz) and SF, safe, quiet, and a slight downhill slope would be the icing on the cake.

Let me know if you have any suggestions—PM me if it is a secret…
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
I can ask my parents in Milpitas if you want to park in their driveway.  It’s safe and my mom will likely try to bring out some food to you at some point of the night.   :smt044

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
I don't have the answer...but am interested.  Coming from the valley...this is something I've considered a number of times either in SF or Sonoma Cty.  I've ID'd one spot on the way to Monterey..but that's it.

there is an app called iOverlander that may help - it's mainly for the van crowd, but what the hey.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I mean, there are whole cities, in the city, of people living in vans.  I wouldn't get too worked up trying to find somewhere legit, since sooo many people are already doing this.  If shoot for somewhere around Fort Funston myself. Out of the hustle and bustle of the city, but not quite in Pacifica, where they probably would frown on sleeping in the car.
- Kevin

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I'm not necessarily looking for some place that's truly legit, just some place that's highly likely to work, in the sense of not having to wake up and move during the night.

Free food always sounds great, but Milpitas is not quite far enough to make it worthwhile.

On Reddit there is some discussion but still haven't found anything that seems like a good fit...

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
The ferry terminal parking lot right outside OP marina are well lit and have plenty of parking. I never had issues waiting there for the marina to open up before going in from there.
Oyster Point plaza also has a HUGE parking overlooking the bay is also a good spot and security doesn't seem to bother me there when fishing from shore late at night. I see people sleeping in their car there all the time.
-Jason

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Are you talking with your trailer and kayak, or just your vehicle?

I've stayed at HMB SB campground years ago, not sure if that's too legit: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30736

Heck sleeping the the HMB harbor parking lot might be doable if not trailering.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Are you talking with your trailer and kayak, or just your vehicle?

I've stayed at HMB SB campground years ago, not sure if that's too legit: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30736

Heck sleeping the the HMB harbor parking lot might be doable if not trailering.

No trailer, just the car. A campground would be great, but the only one I could find on the whole area was Mount Diablo.

HMB harbor parking sounds like abgreat option. Anybody know if it’s patrolled?

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
A campground would be great, but the only one I could find on the whole area was Mount Diablo.

Diablo would not be a good option bc certain routes/entrances are gated to reduce traffic noise only unlock during bankers hours.

Seems you could overnight where Van Ness terminates at aquatic park.  Its IN sf, on a slope.  I've gotten there super early many mornings for swims, no problems.

Most of GGNP is accessible 24 hrs, the operational parking hours seem tied to that access.  Same w Crissy Field

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Half Moon bay harbor has had a no overnight rule since last salmon season.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Yakkin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
There is a small parking lot next to Taco Bell in Linda Mar.  This is directly opposite from the church across the street.  Lots of van folks stay overnight there. Gets fill up fast in the evenings, have to pay parking until 8pm, then free. Found it from iOverlander.

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
There's a rest area off 280N at Crystal Reservoir -- overnight parking/sleeping is allowed for up to 8 hours. It's just north of the 92 turnoff to HMB.

https://www.boondockersbible.com/knowledgebase/california-rest-area-rules/#:~:text=Is%20Overnight%20Parking%20Permitted%20at%20California%20Rest%20Areas%3F,at%20all%20California%20Rest%20Areas.

Cheers,
Brad

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Lake merced and great highway always has overnight car campers, you'd fit right in

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Haven’t been in awhiles, but can’t imagine much has dramatically changed fwiw some areas:

Marina - yacht club. Used to see a van guy fishing days east lot from club building to 1/2 way out along the wall for fishing(may need consider line weight/netting/landing options, min. 15lb.?) Farther towards the end mostly love birds like in the evening. Check out the wave organ if you’re bored. This area is(or was) heavily patrolled, but if you’re discreet and not being too blatant, I would think it could be doable for jaunts?

Sport’s Basement Crissy areas?(no idea)

Sharp Park Beach area: Santa Rosa Ave and south to Mori’s point. Plenty of public parking areas along beach road - starting at the council chambers parking?

Rockaway/Linda Mar.

Mussel Rock Park. Bit of walk up and down to water. Neat to watch para gliding. Manor Plaza area nearby.

Can be sketch weekend/evenings.

Ear plugs/eye-mask can be helpful depending on how one sleeps.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Use to see rv's in a lot of the Walmart parking lots. Not so much anymore. They seem to be patrolled by private security now.
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

anything