Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 09:42:36 AM]

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 06:11:15 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: How can I add a visibility stripe to a kayak?  (Read 3039 times)

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
In my experience, a flag on a pole is way more visible from any kind of distance than the color of a kayak. Kayaks sit low on the water and a bit of swell can really hide them. Getting an orange flag up a few feet makes a big difference.
  100% agree. this is a 72" driveway marker.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Tim in Albion

• Salmon
  • Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
I remember seeing a guy in the big blue at Pacific City that had a flag that also had a tinsel pompom on it….. you could see that thing glimmer  from shore when he was out at Haystack rock.
Now that is just genius. I gotta find me a tinsel pompom and clip it to a spare rod.
Swell Scupper 14 in Great White (!)

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Here's a picture of my visibility stripe on shore at a launch spot.  When I get pictures of the stripe on the water at a distance, I'll post them.

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Having your reflector at the waterline is borderline useless. Even in my 20 foot cc which is pretty close to a kayaks height it is hard to see the yak itself. The flags and anglers are far more visible. Wear bright colors, get a flag

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I think it should help make the kayak more visible than it was in the same way using headlights during the day help others recognize your vehicle as on.  Seeing the stripe will make it not be mistaken for a floating log or whatever.  Although in high seas a flag has a better chance of being seen by boaters I'm sure. Still an improvement and cheap insurance.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I still have my rod flag that Bloodbath made for me long time back, just slips over one of your rods.  Some letters came off of it, but it's still very functional several years later.  Will be using it this season for sure, as well as my VisiPole flag. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
... Getting an orange flag up a few feet (or six) makes a big difference.

I thought so too, life preservers are orange, but fwiw, I have been told the Coast Guard sez that florescent chartreuse-yellowish-greenish whatever color is the easiest to see on the water, not the orange. Don’t ask me why, I don’t know nothing about it except that weird color has the highest visibility.

He’s a write up about a study done by Mustang Survival that came to the same conclusion regarding flotation devices and immersion suits -  florescent chartreuse-yellowish-greenish whatever color was the easiest to see, especially in low light situations.

https://www.newwaveswimbuoy.com/blogs/news/brightest-on-water

Hobie makes kayaks in that hi-vis weird color, what Hobie calls 'seagrass green'.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
He’s a write up about a study done by Mustang Survival that came to the same conclusion regarding flotation devices and immersion suits -  florescent chartreuse-yellowish-greenish whatever color was the easiest to see, especially in low light situations.

https://www.newwaveswimbuoy.com/blogs/news/brightest-on-water

Hobie makes kayaks in that hi-vis weird color, what Hobie calls 'seagrass green'.
I have a friend who has totally bought into that "green is highly visible" theory.  But to go back to the complaint in my initial post, why doesn't Hobie sell Pro Angler 360 kayaks in highly visible colors like yellow, orange, and seagrass green, rather than just camo blue and camo green?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 06:08:38 PM by pmmpete »

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
A nice seller on eBay makes these to order with options to customize. Safety is priority 1
Fish & let fish

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
.... But to go back to the complaint in my initial post, why doesn't Hobie sell Pro Angler 360 kayaks in highly visible colors like yellow, orange, and seagrass green, rather than just camo blue and camo green?

I bet they did their research and figured that landlocked bass fishermen are the only group likely to buy that tank of a boat, so they tried to match the color schemes frequently encountered in landlocked areas.. Camo, camo, and more camo.

anything