Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:52:45 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:00:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:23 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 02:41:39 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:16:20 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:10:22 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Want to buy a kayak trailer  (Read 392 times)

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I'm interested in purchasing a trailer for my Hobie outback kayak.  The models I'm currently looking at new are the Malone EcoLight, Trailex Aluminum Trailer, or maybe a Yakima model.  Let me know if anyone has any good quality trailers they are looking to sell.  Thanks!

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I don't have one to sell, but I'm a fan of my Trailex. But, I think the ultimate would be the (very expensive) Yakima Rack and Roll. Speaking of which, this one on Craigslist looks too good to be true--and it probably is, as I've tried contacting the poster several times, and have not gotten any response.:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tro/d/menlo-park-yakima-multi-sport-trailer/7718707579.html

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

divenfish

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I have a Harborfreight trailer modified with SS hardware and other improvements as a kayak carrier.
I bought from a NCKA member several years ago and never used.
I am away from home, I can upload pictures by mid next week, if any interest.

Buzzcut1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I have the ecolight I bought it off Craigslist bay area a few months ago. so far I like it
check craigslist and ebay
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:13:52 PM by Buzzcut1 »
never met a Dry Fly I didn't like

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I have a Harborfreight trailer modified with SS hardware and other improvements as a kayak carrier.
I bought from a NCKA member several years ago and never used.
I am away from home, I can upload pictures by mid next week, if any interest.

Thanks for the offer!  I'll have to pass on this one

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I don't have one to sell, but I'm a fan of my Trailex. But, I think the ultimate would be the (very expensive) Yakima Rack and Roll. Speaking of which, this one on Craigslist looks too good to be true--and it probably is, as I've tried contacting the poster several times, and have not gotten any response.:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/tro/d/menlo-park-yakima-multi-sport-trailer/7718707579.html

Thanks for the link!  I also reached out, you never know I guess haha :)

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Not looking on selling mine, but I am happy with my "Right On" trailer.  its the Ruff-sport model which is galvanized.  Bought it used on Offer up last year.  It holds my outback and a truck bed tool box perfectly.
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I don't have one to sell, but I'm a fan of my Trailex.

Actually I had one question, do you think it would work to store my Outback long term on the Trailerx SUT-220-S trailer in my garage? I'm worried about deforming my hull

Also looks like the trailerx is 125 pounds and the Malone ecolight is 145 pounds as well which is less of a difference than I expected, I wonder if there would actually be a noticeable difference towing

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I don't have one to sell, but I'm a fan of my Trailex.

Actually I had one question, do you think it would work to store my Outback long term on the Trailerx SUT-220-S trailer in my garage? I'm worried about deforming my hull

Also looks like the trailerx is 125 pounds and the Malone ecolight is 145 pounds as well which is less of a difference than I expected, I wonder if there would actually be a noticeable difference towing

I store my AI on my trailer with DIY bunks made from 2" PVC electrical conduit. You could also use the official Hobie bunks, if you are worried about warranty issues, but I think the PVC probably provides better support.

I pull my trailer with a Subaru Crosstrek, and it's almost like it's not there, and I'm sure 20 lbs more for the Malone won't make any difference in that respect. I can also use the trailer like a dolly, as I can easily move it around by hand.

Buzzcut1

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
I pull the Ecolight with two Hobbie Revolution Kayaks and  center cargo box fill with all both boats gear with a 24 year old Mercedes C280  and I don't even know its back there.

never met a Dry Fly I didn't like

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I pull the Ecolight with two Hobbie Revolution Kayaks and  center cargo box fill with all both boats gear with a 24 year old Mercedes C280  and I don't even know its back there.
Wow that's great, I love that setup!  I think I probably am going to end up buying new unless I happen to find a good used one soon.  The thing I'm trying to decide on though is it looks like the aluminum Trailerx model has a free upgrade in March to 12in tires which I'm trying to figure out if those are worthwhile.  My main concern is efficiency since I'm planning to tow with an EV and stopping to charge with a trailer seems a bit cumbersome.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
... Trailerx model has a free upgrade in March to 12in tires which I'm trying to figure out if those are worthwhile.  My main concern is efficiency since I'm planning to tow with an EV and stopping to charge with a trailer seems a bit cumbersome.

My Trailex had the regular 8 inchers when I bought it, and last year I upgraded it myself to 12 inch. If you want the bigger wheels, it's probably best to buy it that way, as doing it myself was more of a hassle than I expected. Having said that, I'm not sure it's a big deal either way. Trailex used to insist that bigger wheels were of no value, and threatened to void the warranty if larger tires were used. I think they gave in simply due to customer demand, rather than because they were convinced that it is a good idea.

In any case, I've attached a picture with the 12" installed, and one of the original 8" next to it.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
P.S. I hadn't thought about charging an EV with a trailer, but that would be a hassle (my wife drives a Tesla Model Y). I have my doubts that tire size is going to have a significant impact on mileage, though.

Brad.

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
P.S. I hadn't thought about charging an EV with a trailer, but that would be a hassle (my wife drives a Tesla Model Y). I have my doubts that tire size is going to have a significant impact on mileage, though.

Thank you so much for the photos and information here, it's very much appreciated!  I suppose I don't need to worry so much about 8in vs 12in, I'm planning to call Trailerx on Monday to ask if they'll ship to me if not probably going to get the Malone.  Yeah I also just got a Model Y, I heard that with the Cybertruck being advertised as a good choice for towing that they will be adding more pull through super charger locations (there already are a few around that allow charging with a trailer) but who knows if that will actually happen.  My main fishing locations are the delta, local lakes, and HMB (if they open salmon season this year ;)) which are at max 110 miles round trip, so I'd only need to worry about charging during trips to alpine lakes around the Sierras or the rare trip to Clearlake to hunt for a new pb :smt003

anything