Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:10:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 10, 2024, 10:34:49 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:53:28 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 09:50:31 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 08:04:41 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 07:53:03 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 06:11:15 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 04:13:44 PM]

[May 10, 2024, 03:35:39 PM]

by capo
[May 10, 2024, 12:49:47 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 01:04:03 PM]

[May 09, 2024, 10:15:40 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:12:28 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 07:35:53 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 06:46:52 AM]

[May 08, 2024, 04:58:49 PM]

[May 08, 2024, 12:29:15 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Launching in surf with crab rings  (Read 1555 times)

jhorwitz24

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
 I've been crab fishing at Baker Beach in SF a bit of late. Some days are good, some days bad. But pretty much every time I go out I get rolled at least once launching into the surf. I'm trying to figure out how much of me getting rolled is just that I need to improve my launching skills and how much is that I'm being overambitious.

Would love to get people's general read on what surf conditions are prohibitive for launching generally, then maybe some of the following questions:

1. Is there a place to launch for crab in SF when the waves are a little higher, or is that HMB/Bodega Bay time?
2. Would a paddleboard allow for a launch into slightly higher surf?

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Pedal or paddle kayak?  Do you just go or do you observe the sets and say "oh". that's a lull in the sets...I coulda made that...

Do you paddle like the dickens with no looking back?

Do you back paddle at the moment you know you're lined up for a lip hit flip freak show?  I usually begins with an uh oh...this doesn't look good...then...don't hesitate but back paddle and hopefully the breaking foam doesn't get ya' sideways but the second it hits ya' paddle through with all you balance and might and do not quit because there's usually another after...

Ask me how I know...sometimes you picked the wrong day or the wrong set on the wrong day or the wrong set on the right day...but when you pick the right set on the wrong day it's oh so good...

It's always a fun practice for us armchair surf launchers if you have your camera rolling...

Baker is not a surf launch 101 type beach.  It's quite advanced so if you master this beach, you've got em' all.

:smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

jhorwitz24

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
My methodology is, uh, irregular. I tend to lead the yak out pretty far because I'm six foot five and then watch for awhile. Then I hop on and paddle as hard as I can toward whatever's building up when it feels plausible. In a couple of instances I pretty much swam it out to deep water and then climbed in.

Do you consider adjacent China to be any better? Or Kirby Cove, which I've never launched from? I'd love to make it out on Friday AM, so if anybody wants to come with drop me a line. 

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My methodology is, uh, irregular. I tend to lead the yak out pretty far because I'm six foot five and then watch for awhile. Then I hop on and paddle as hard as I can toward whatever's building up when it feels plausible. In a couple of instances I pretty much swam it out to deep water and then climbed in.

Do you consider adjacent China to be any better? Or Kirby Cove, which I've never launched from? I'd love to make it out on Friday AM, so if anybody wants to come with drop me a line.
China is technically better but not sure your wave prediction sites.  Anything 4ft a 8 seconds from the nw is gonna hit those hard.  Muir is a fun one to try and master though a sw swell will hit ya' there but patience is always the answer for surf launches.  I'm surprised you're not mentioning the chaos of the landing which is by far the sketchier leg of the journey.

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

jhorwitz24

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
That's super helpful. I'll go with Muir if Friday's looking rough at Baker!

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Waves look doable.   Wind is up at 1 for sure and tide is steep outgoing.   Hope you're a safety gear junkie...don't die and be ready to work... :smt006

Actually looks mighty doable at Baker.  Kinda glassy surf wise.  Wait for that window and go go go...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 07:54:59 PM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Re reading your irregular style I caught something.  Yes, leading out your kayak out to waves is right but jumping aboard at knee height seems more in control then leaping on at waist height.  From the knee height one gets a little more momentum for shoving towards while positioning and paddling vs. leaping on and floating then paddling.  I could be wrong though cuz we each have our own ways... :smt006
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 08:11:48 PM by Eddie »

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Good question.
I have a skinny Revo 16 that I take in no more than knee high. I take it in only after observing the sets. I hold the bow handle and swing it forward, making the kayak glide until I’m aligned with the seat. Then I sit and paddle hard until I’m behind the surf. It would be harder to do with a heavier kayak like the Outback.
I’ve tipped over with crab pots. They make balancing the kayak difficult.
My advice is : choose calmer days, accept the limitations of launching with crab pots on board, keep practicing, and stay safe
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Launching at Baker with a kayak full of crab traps with a solid swell is tough.   The only times I've flipped in the surf have been doing exactly that.

I watch the sets closely and wait for a lull.  Then walk my kayak in to about waist deep until I'm sure there is a break in the swell keeping myself between the waves and the kayak, lifting the bow over each wave.  Then paddle like crazy.

There are times when a new set will roll through when I'm waist deep and I'll head back in to reset and wait a for a new lull.  The key is to have patience.  There will be a break in the swell, you just got to wait for it.

I launch from the West side of the beach as it's smaller there.

jhorwitz24

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
This was super helpful. Ran into a guy named Josiah there last week who taught me a few pretty great tricks in terms of prepping gear for launch. Have now secured a bowline for the front of the kayak so that the thing isn't dead even with me when I'm launching. Thanks, dude.

For now I think I'll be sticking to Tomales or Muir Beach given conditions...

Jeff

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
...don't die and be ready to work...

Words to live (or, at least not die) by...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Goals for 2024...no dying...

You met the gent Josiah...he's the right guy to meet fo' dat beach and many other salty scenarios.  Very helpful and mega knowledgeable of many things fishy... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Josiah is one fishy pirate
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Josiah is one fishy pirate

Very cool picture! All that's missing is a pirate flag...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

pasha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
I’ve launched from China beach a couple times and I definitely prefer it to Baker.
As was said, with a strong NW swell, forget it.

As for Kirby, I’ve snared there but the thought of dragging my Outback up that [one mile] path is a NO from me lol.
2020 Hobie Outback "Kai-eL"
2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 "Kai"

IG: pash_spice

anything