Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:13:55 PM]

[Today at 03:08:35 PM]

[Today at 03:08:16 PM]

[Today at 03:07:58 PM]

[Today at 02:48:07 PM]

[Today at 01:36:15 PM]

[Today at 10:08:10 AM]

[Today at 09:34:21 AM]

[Today at 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Amazon Hobie Idler Cable  (Read 1806 times)

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
My order came in, package says shipped from Pennsylvania . Installation is easy.  I opted for this after market cable because an original Hobie idler cable is nowhere to be found.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Look nice in red  :smt002
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Tpowell707

• Salmon
  • View Profile Deadliest Kast Fishing
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Same cables as my Shearwater 125. I have noticed that you need to make sure to have these dry with the peddles facing up to prevent water from collecting in the chain to cable piece and rusting. it's like a cup, hold water and is the weak spot. I have had a couple break while out on the water. I carry two sets of cable and tooling for on the water replacements, which is alot of fun :smt013
Deadliest Kast Fishing Deckhand

Vibe Shearwater 125- Team Blue

2nd Place-2022 Albion Open

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Same cables as my Shearwater 125. I have noticed that you need to make sure to have these dry with the peddles facing up to prevent water from collecting in the chain to cable piece and rusting. it's like a cup, hold water and is the weak spot. I have had a couple break while out on the water. I carry two sets of cable and tooling for on the water replacements, which is alot of fun :smt013

Thanks for sharing, I see your Mirage Drive Chain Assembly broke.  How's the idler cable holding up?

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
My order came in, package says shipped from Pennsylvania . Installation is easy.  I opted for this after market cable because an original Hobie idler cable is nowhere to be found.
I'm curious did your original break? My 180 problem has been the either the spine assembly or the fin mast snapping.
-Jason

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I'm curious did your original break? My 180 problem has been the either the spine assembly or the fin mast snapping.

Hey Jason - The original one snapped while I was OTW. I replaced it with an original idler cable, the rubber coating split and there's rust on the cable. Instead of waiting for it to break, I replaced it with this Amazon cable. I've also undergone a spine replacement on the same drive.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 02:48:49 PM by FishingAddict »

Tpowell707

• Salmon

Thanks for sharing, I see your Mirage Drive Chain Assembly broke.  How's the idler cable holding up?

Funny you ask.... the last trip out I inspected the cables for wear and tear and the idler cable was fraid and had a couple of broken wires. Replaced it from my stock pile and hit the water. 1st idler I've replaced. vs 2 to 3 drive cables. Went through a couple before finding the trick of letting them dry with fins up  :smt010

"One doesn’t discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." André Gide.

Tpowell707

• Salmon

Also NOT a Hobie Mirage Drive but a Vibe X-drive. Pretty much the same thing just 1/2 the $ and could use either. Same dimensions. Plug and play.  My buddy runs Hobie cables on his vibe x-drive

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018

Hey Jason - The original one snapped while I was OTW. I replaced it with an original idler cable, the rubber coating split and there's rust on the cable. Instead of waiting for it to break, I replaced it with this Amazon cable. I've also undergone a spine replacement on the same drive.
Thanks Mel. It's a bummer they no longer sell the previous GT drive.
-Jason

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Thanks for the tip, I didnt notice I thought the red sheath went all the way into the crimp.

Hobie cables have that exposed area that always breaks but ive been adding marine goop to them to try and protect that area.

Once my idler comes in I'll have all amazon cables on my primary 180 drive.

FYI Hoodoo idler cables DO NOT FIT the hobie 180, half inch too short! :|
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Bungee cord works just as well as an idler cable and it’s practically free. I’ve been using bungee cord exclusively for several years, and never had a problem…
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...