Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:06:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 29, 2024, 09:47:48 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:56:50 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Get this Spyderco knife!  (Read 8038 times)

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
I was looking for a good rescue knife, and was very disappointed with the NRS options (like the Pilot knife). The issue with their knives is that you need 2 hands to pull the knife, which is unacceptable. Imagine your kayak flipped, and you’re holding on to it with one hand, and trying to cut the down rigger line that got tangled in your leg with the other hand.

Now, the second problem is the sheath. There was no good way to put it on my PFD. And the third problem is that these knives cannot double as a regular knife in case you need to cut fish or whatever. I’m not saying you should use your safety knife for regular duties, as it may get dull, but it’s nice to have a safety knife that can be dual purpose.

I didn’t even bother getting the NRS knives, and tried the Gerber River Shorty instead. It’s a very nice rescue knife, but not for the ocean. It was getting rusty after just one trip. Also, it was too short, not sharp enough, and the cutting surface was small, which means many back and forth before you cut anything. So I sent it back.

At last I was ready to shell some $100 for a Spyderco knife. I got the Atlantic Salt. And let me tell you, this thing is amazing. Firstly - it’s extremely sharp. I bet I could cut a Cabezon head off with this knife, through the bone, no problem. Secondly, it’s super light and made of non rusting proprietary H1 steel. Divers swear by it. Thirdly, there’s no sheath, it just folds like a pocket knife, and can be flip opened with your thumb. The clip on the handle is perfect for any placement on your PFD. And to prevent it from falling into the water during operation, I added a Boom fishing lanyard (T04 version) with a barrel swivel for extra maneuverability.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

SRJ

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I second Spyderco knives!! Have used them and have them
for many years both as a fisherman and as a professional rescuer! Don’t skimp on a good knife...may just save your life some day!

BsHawk

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Spyderco knives are great.  I've carried one for work for years.  Very durable and extremely sharp. 
2020 Hobie Outback Camo

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I forgot to mention - Spyderco has an amazing customer service. One diver said he would regularly send the knife for sharpening (free service; you pay for shipping). But after many years of doing that and the abuse on the handle, they just sent him back a new knife. Wow
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Looks like a great knife, its a new one to me. An observation is your lanyard could get in the way.  You may want to use a retractor instead or use none at all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:56:51 AM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Love my endura yet constantly scrubbing rust spots off.  I wish that knife came with a half straight blade but maybe that defeats the purpose? Would be good to saw through the tail of a bigger fish to administer "da wire." :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I've got that one, but never used it much. I prefer this one, as I can whip it out a lot faster.

Ever since I was traumatized by the "whale incident", I've got to have a knife that I can access in a fraction of a second...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
FishingAddict - thanks for the tip. I have my fishing pliers set up like that with a lanyard and never had an issue. The lanyard is extremely flexible; there’s no way it would get stuck. But thanks for the feedback!
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Eddie, that’s exactly what I’m thinking. I finally got the wire. Let’s see how it works.. I’ve also been regularly immobilizing fish with ikejime spike. It works very well
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
That looks like a good knife, for sure. I have been reluctant to use a folding knife for a couple reasons.

As far as the NRS Pilot, I find it is easily removable from the sheath with one hand. The mechanism does need care and attention or it will freeze up from corrosion in the salt.

I’d be interested in hearing your experience and usage with the folders, Shannon.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Use an nrs I’ll post up pictures tomorrow but I zip tie the sheath with multiple ties to keep it in place on my pfd shoulder strap, it has slight rust that I scrub on occasion and I sharpen it if it needs it first trip out every year. No lanyard but I’m thinking I’ll as one just in case it slips when I’m using it.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... I find it is easily removable from the sheath with one hand.

This is critical. And you should be able to get the knife out instantly, with it ready for use, without having to check whether it might fold up on your fingers. That's why I don't use the folder, nice as it is...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
That looks like a good knife, for sure. I have been reluctant to use a folding knife for a couple reasons.

As far as the NRS Pilot, I find it is easily removable from the sheath with one hand. The mechanism does need care and attention or it will freeze up from corrosion in the salt.

I’d be interested in hearing your experience and usage with the folders, Shannon.
I agree. After using several other rescue knives, I settled with NRS CoPilot knife and planning to upgrade to the bigger Pilot knife. Ive used it several times this year in some "oh shit moments".
Here's a good reason why:
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've got that one, but never used it much. I prefer this one, as I can whip it out a lot faster.

Ever since I was traumatized by the "whale incident", I've got to have a knife that I can access in a fraction of a second...

I've had the same one on my pfd now for 10-11 years. Still good as new!
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Here’s how easy the Spyderco is to flip open with one hand:

Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16