Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:19:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:35:51 AM]

[Today at 09:30:17 AM]

[Today at 08:50:40 AM]

[Today at 07:58:50 AM]

[Today at 07:40:24 AM]

[Today at 07:36:25 AM]

[May 20, 2024, 10:59:06 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:14:25 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 05:46:39 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 04:11:20 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 09:05:07 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:38:11 PM]

[May 19, 2024, 10:21:04 AM]

by Clb
[May 19, 2024, 09:23:49 AM]

[May 19, 2024, 07:12:15 AM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:33:15 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 07:29:46 PM]

[May 18, 2024, 04:56:39 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Which line/test for rock fishing?  (Read 3211 times)

Califbill

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2008
I use 50# braid, as I can see it to tie.   Normally 20# mono leader/Topshot.   I run 10-15’ of mono.   Better abrasion resistance than braid.  And if I have to break off, I can do so safely.   Even when on the boat and not the yak.  How big are rockfish and lings?   I have landed 30# yellowfin tuna on 20# flouro, so rockfish should be easy.   The YF were flylined and not in rocks, and that is what they would bite.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
If i'm tying a good knot that goes through the guides well, I'll do 8-10ft of top shot.  But if i'm in a rush I'll do fairly short, like 5 feet to avoid having it hang up in the guides. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I do something like 10-15 feet to my swivel and then another 3 to my lure. It gets shorter and shorter as I trim it down. FG knot works for me now that I finally figured out how to tie a good one!
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

123engineering

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
I do something like 10-15 feet to my swivel and then another 3 to my lure. It gets shorter and shorter as I trim it down. FG knot works for me now that I finally figured out how to tie a good one!
I have been using FG Knot tool, and it makes a much easier and better FG knot.
I purchased from AliExpress for $10: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802058611533.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.5.13601802vw9pou&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Paul
Paul C.

YouTube: Kayak Fishing Couple
2018 Hobie Oasis Papaya & Grey
2022 Hobie Outback Papaya
2017 Hobie Outback Camo Sold
2014 Hobie Revolution 13 Red - Sold
CVN-72 Abraham Lincoln
2013 & 2019 Subaru Outback White

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
I've been using the hand loop technique for fg knots and I purchased some cheap knot tightening rods on amazon and they work great, makes the knot turn color all the way through and has built my trust in them. No more cutting into my fingers with braid lol
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
But if i'm in a rush I'll do fairly short, like 5 feet to avoid having it hang up in the guides. 

Reason I state this is sometimes I end up re-tying on the water, and when I do it usually will be a Uni-Uni, because I can do with without my glasses and doesn't' take me long.  I'm still not very good at tying the FG knot, or SC knot, but if I do i'll need good lighting and those darn glasses to do it.

• View Profile transitionsfromwar.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I’m a double uni guy myself.

Also, because I’m newer to this I put about 100’ of 30# mono top shot. No reason other than it helps when I have to break off and start losing line I guess. Am I defeating the purpose of having braid by doing this? Sounds like 10-15’, swivel, then 3-5’ of more mono is the move if I’m reading your guys posts correctly
‘22 Hobie Mirage Compass- Papaya
Marine Corps Veteran

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Braid will cut through the water better, give better sensitivity to bites and the bottom.  I just use a top shot to add some abrasion resistance against rocks, which braid sucks at, and to have a bit of clear line before my lure, as well as something that will break off easier than the braid.  Otherwise your pretty much fishing braid as a backing to your mono.  Nothing wrong with that if that's that you prefer!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 08:49:38 PM by AlsHobieOutback »

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
I’m a double uni guy myself.

Also, because I’m newer to this I put about 100’ of 30# mono top shot. No reason other than it helps when I have to break off and start losing line I guess. Am I defeating the purpose of having braid by doing this? Sounds like 10-15’, swivel, then 3-5’ of more mono is the move if I’m reading your guys posts correctly
If you're fishing in less than 100', yeah, you're just fishing mono. Might as well just spool with mono. Pros and cons to both. Fishing mid column, mono has some stretch, that's a good thing, especially with hot fish. Braid - zero stretch, flouro - a little less stretch than mono, but way less visibility. Can load a reel with way more 50lb. braid than 50lb. mono. Top shot is to have benefits of different lines. Important to be able to break off in a kayak without going in the drink.

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Funny how everyone has a different method. No wrong way as long as it works, right?

I use 40lb braid mainline. I get tangled everytime I try a topshot, so I don't anymore. I lost a heavy fish with 20lb mono leader, so now I use 40lb mono leader for rigs I tie. 
- Kevin

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Also check your mono for real nicks after a good fish or working a snag off. I'd always rather keep fishing, but I talk myself into the one minute to cut off the nicked part for good line again.

dan916

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I run 60# braided to the swivel and 40# leader. They are not line shy so it’s not worth the risk of loosing a big fish. I have lost fish to 25# and 30# but haven’t lost anything to 40# yet.
Integrity first, Service before self and excellence in all we do.

All gave some, some gave all. You will never be forgotten!

albiec22

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Have you tried to break off braid? There are instances where you will get hung up and need to break off. 50lbs braid is strong stuff and you need gloves to break it off. I once had to break off 40lbs braid rockfishing at the Farallones and I decided that 30lbs braid is good enough for me. I will also NEVER use a leader stronger than 20lbs, only because I want the leader to break before the mainline.

To each their own, this is just what I go by.

Code3

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
I go light.  30lb braid to 6’ of 25lb fluorocarbon.  🤙
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
My aversion to the less than pleasant whistling of braid in the wind, is to have just enough mono top-shot to wrap once or twice on my reels
If I'm fishing Long Range my top-shot lengths are longer :smt006
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy