Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Official GWS Thread  (Read 196166 times)

DeltaYakR

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
https://www.sfgate.com/whales-sharks/article/fisherman-catches-great-white-shark-in-sf-bay-14094757.php

Saw the FB live post in morning the day of then later in the evening the news posted it. Buddy of mine sent it to me and said wait for the end! Looks like the GW was hooked in the South Bay and was trying to get out the gate. The original video is like 12mins. GW was in the mood for salmon. Salmon is the way to go for shark fishing in the bay. They use midshipmen for the cow sevengills around angel island.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
7 meter - Deep Blue - oh my!!!!

Deep Blue Hunts Elephant Seals

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 12:41:29 PM by Fisherman X »
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

eksblenny

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
 I don't know if you guys have seen this old video before, but it focuses on shark research near Ano Nuevo just north of Santa Cruz.

The "elephant seal cutout" they use to attract the great white sharks to the surface sure looks pretty similar to the outline of a yellow kayak!

Fast forward to 5:40 to see the cutout!

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Might as well add to this thread.
We've had three GWS encounters in the last two summers.

The first was last summer off of Rockaway Beach. A great white swirled behind us - we think it charged and turned away - and then followed us for about 15 seconds. It was probably 8 or 9 feet in length.

The second was in June 2019 off Point Reyes and it made physical contact. It charged us from the bottom - I could see it on the FF - and then gave us a light whack. I think it turned at the last second and its fin hit us. Then it splashed behind the boat and was gone. Never actually saw it but I have no doubts about what it was.

Then last Sunday we saw a small great white do a full breach about 20 yards from us.

All encounters were incredible and exhilarating. So far I prefer encounters with inquisitive young great whites to oblivious cruising humpbacks.
The Hobie TI gives us a good sense of security and so far sharks don't seem too interested in messing with something 10 feet wide.

May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010

The second was in June 2019 off Point Reyes and it made physical contact. It charged us from the bottom - I could see it on the FF - and then gave us a light whack. I think it turned at the last second and its fin hit us. Then it splashed behind the boat and was gone. Never actually saw it but I have no doubts about what it was.

This happen to me in Capitola a couple years ago...What a rush. Hope not to have that rush again
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
So far I prefer encounters with inquisitive young great whites to oblivious cruising humpbacks.
The Hobie TI gives us a good sense of security and so far sharks don't seem too interested in messing with something 10 feet wide.

Never had any issue with sharks but did have a close encounter with a humpback. It was pretty intense to see something the size of a bus just 3 or 4 feet below my small plastic boat.

Your TI might be less likely to get bit than a regular kayak, but sharks have been known to bite skiffs, so you might not be that much more secure...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.santacruzsentinel.com/2016/07/12/large-great-white-shark-cruising-capitola-waters-bites-boat/amp/
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

mdoka_matt

• Sea Lion
  • Its happening like Soledad
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
So far I prefer encounters with inquisitive young great whites to oblivious cruising humpbacks.

Never had any issue with sharks but did have a close encounter with a humpback. It was pretty intense to see something the size of a bus just 3 or 4 feet below my small plastic boat.

Your TI might be less likely to get bit than a regular kayak, but sharks have been known to bite skiffs, so you might not be that much more secure...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.santacruzsentinel.com/2016/07/12/large-great-white-shark-cruising-capitola-waters-bites-boat/amp/

I would love to own an AI; dont get me wrong, but I worry about correcting capsized AI in the event of a full blown attack.  A speedy self rescue is critical in this instance.
2010 T-13   Sand                    
2011 T-13   Yellow
2012 Hobie Adventure Dune

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Then last Sunday we saw a small great white do a full breach about 20 yards from us.

Where if you dont mind me asking?

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I would love to own an AI; dont get me wrong, but I worry about correcting capsized AI in the event of a full blown attack.  A speedy self rescue is critical in this instance.

If my AI capsized due to a shark attack, I'd be out of the water on top of the upside-down AI way faster than I could possibly right a kayak and get back on board. Yes, righting an upside down AI takes some effort, but that could wait until the immediate danger passed.

At least that's my theory, and I hope that I never get a chance to test it...
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
The breach was at Rockaway. I think it would be quite difficult for a GWS to capsize an AI. It’s such a wide platform. I don’t think that’s a reason not to buy one. The protection and stability it offers far outweighs the risks IMO.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:19:28 AM by Malibu_Two »
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

If you listen quietly you can here the sound of butt holes puckering.  :smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

If you listen quietly you can here the sound of butt holes puckering.  :smt044

...and the sound of shark shields arming :smt002
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
For what it's worth I think that shark attacks mainly come from below to top and are triggered by seal/sea lion/elephant seal profiles. Short fat kayaks most resemble their prey from below. Longer yaks in the 16 foot range much less so. Adding outriggers probably destroys any seal family resemblance. GWS may come up for a curiosity look but not a food hunt for AI's.
Charles

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
The problem with shark shields is the battery doesn't last long enough for a day of fishing at The Cove w/ Eric!   :smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
For what it's worth I think that shark attacks mainly come from below to top and are triggered by seal/sea lion/elephant seal profiles. Short fat kayaks most resemble their prey from below. Longer yaks in the 16 foot range much less so. Adding outriggers probably destroys any seal family resemblance. GWS may come up for a curiosity look but not a food hunt for AI's.

It would look like 2 or 3 pinnipeds from below instead of one.
Mother and calf(s)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:35:32 PM by Cabeza de Martillo »
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter