Kayak Fishing Zone > General Fishing Tips

Descender Weight

(1/8) > >>

SpeedyStein:
Considering what to use for a descender weight.

I do have a 4lb downrigger ball, but it is fin shaped, not round.

I also have several 1lb cannonball weights. Was considering melting a few of those together. Not sure the best way to go about that though. I think 3lbs would be plenty, but could do a 4 or 5 lb.

Or, I could just string them together, and not bother melting anything. 

What is everyone else doing for this?

Sailfish:
I was able to safely released this nice Verm with a 2 lbs weight recently.

Sea-bree:
Having not descended many fish personally, I’m surprised that so much weight is necessary. Will the buoyancy of the fish make descending with, for example, a 12 oz weight too slow, ineffective…

SpeedyStein:

--- Quote from: Sailfish on April 30, 2024, 04:49:01 PM ---I was able to safely released this nice Verm with a 2 lbs weight recently.

--- End quote ---

Nice, thanks for a reference. How deep did you go?

--- Quote from: Sea-bree on April 30, 2024, 04:52:06 PM ---Having not descended many fish personally, I’m surprised that so much weight is necessary. Will the buoyancy of the fish make descending with, for example, a 12 oz weight too slow, ineffective…

--- End quote ---

I've never used a descending device, so don't really have a good reference for how much is needed to safely get them down.  I would say about 95% of my fishing is in less than 70ft, so sending a rockfish down that deep probably isn't quite the challenge as say 200ft or more.

Also, are people using a rod and reel for this, or some other sort of device?

Sailfish:
Hi Kevin,

I caught and released this Verm in 130 fow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version