Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:02:38 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 06:36:16 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 03:32:29 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 02:15:19 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 10:36:12 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:08:11 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: I kinda think putting a motor on a kayak removed too much “kayak-ness”  (Read 4149 times)

Mike1967

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2024
Spiffy,
  That’s just wrong on so many levels, but incredibly awesome all at the same time. Lol.  I kind of want one now.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
OMG!!!  hahahhaha..

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Dont over think it.

It's a boat without a motor  :smt003 :smt044
So then, a kayak with a motor is not a boat, it’s a kayak with a motor. I agree.  :smt006
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
FFS you people are tedious.

:smt003

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Once it’s registered, you have to continue paying for registration. Good luck selling a kayak with CF numbers. And good luck convincing the next person to transfer title and continue paying registration. Hopefully the registration paperwork doesn’t show up in your mailbox next year. Because that would suck.
But I did install a Minnkota trolling motor in my Hobie plug. And it did work pretty good. My problem is that I still feel compelled to bring the mirage drive as backup (I always have multiple paddles too). With the motor & battery & accessories & mirage drive it gets pretty heavy…which makes me uncomfortable.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Once it’s registered, you have to continue paying for registration. Good luck selling a kayak with CF numbers. And good luck convincing the next person to transfer title and continue paying registration. Hopefully the registration paperwork doesn’t show up in your mailbox next year. Because that would suck.
But I did install a Minnkota trolling motor in my Hobie plug. And it did work pretty good. My problem is that I still feel compelled to bring the mirage drive as backup (I always have multiple paddles too). With the motor & battery & accessories & mirage drive it gets pretty heavy…which makes me uncomfortable.

I get what ya mean about it being harder to sell... but just to be clear:  Once you submit the Release of Liability portion of the title (either by mail or online), you truly are released from liability.  I've run into this a few times selling motos over the years where the buyer didn't transfer the title and got it impounded or similar situations. 
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020

This is the big reason why I haven't installed a motor, and probably won't.  The motor and battery combo is a lot of weight. At about 215, I'm not exactly a small dude. All in, with a motor, battery, fishing gear, fish finder, etc I am probably pushing 400 lbs. I'm not sure my fishing kayak is even rated for that, haha. 

- Kevin

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Quote from: Mark L
if I could start my kayak adventure over, I would skip the motor

I definitely thought of you when I wrote my reply, Mark.  Never felt you needed it at all, and that's the only type of person I'd want to have a motor.  Another multi-trip client on that list is Schwegg.  There are others.

I'm not slamming anyone who chooses a motor for the yak.  I am definitely wanting to get my advisory out there though, that using a motor if it will get you past your capabilities to return without it = bad news.

Hey Eric, on the times we have been out together I only used the motor once. The reason I used it was because you kept telling me what a powerful kayaker Davethesynthguy is. After a limit of rock fish you suggested we try for some halibut, and I caught three of those. I was beat even with the motor, and like you said Dave was still going strong. I think we were on the water from 7-4. Looking forward to the next time.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I get what ya mean about it being harder to sell... but just to be clear:  Once you submit the Release of Liability portion of the title (either by mail or online), you truly are released from liability.  I've run into this a few times selling motos over the years where the buyer didn't transfer the title and got it impounded or similar situations.
You may be absolved from liability but the registration fee may still show up in your mailbox. That happened to us when we sold a car. Even though we submitted the Release, then other person never submitted the title transfer. They were racking up parking tix too. Fortunately, we were not liable for the parking tix, but the DMV would not send the registration to the new owner until they did their part. Had to order a new copy of the title and track down the new owner and physically force him to sign the title transfer, then mail it to the DMV myself. Although, kayaks are different than cars, so who knows.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
You may be absolved from liability but the registration fee may still show up in your mailbox. That happened to us when we sold a car. Even though we submitted the Release, then other person never submitted the title transfer. They were racking up parking tix too. Fortunately, we were not liable for the parking tix, but the DMV would not send the registration to the new owner until they did their part. Had to order a new copy of the title and track down the new owner and physically force him to sign the title transfer, then mail it to the DMV myself. Although, kayaks are different than cars, so who knows.

Heh, I have always round filed those registration notices from new owners.  Kind of a "not my problem" mentality.  It never hindered any other business at the DMV for me.  You're a better man than I going after the guy to get him to get his own shit in order.
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13