General > CA Regulations

Emotional Support Ferret

(1/2) > >>

Hojoman:
June 17, 2021

Question: I know ferrets are usually illegal to own as pets, but can I get a permit to have one as an emotional support animal?

Answer: No. Ferrets (Family Mustelidae) are classified as a restricted species in the state of California, pursuant to California Code of Regulations (CCR), title 14, section 671. For this reason, it is unlawful to import, transport or possess ferrets (or any other restricted species) in California, except under a permit issued by CDFW.

Permit conditions and requirements are established in California restricted species regulation (CCR, title 14, section 671.1). There are no provisions in this section that would authorize CDFW to issue a permit for the purpose of importing, transporting or possessing a ferret or other restricted species animals for emotional support purposes. Therefore, ferrets cannot be possessed as emotional support animals in California. For more information about restricted species laws and regulations in California, please visit wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Restricted-Species.

Bchen:
This sounds like the basis of an SNL skit.

Bitey McBitemall the emotional support ferret.

&:
Bruh's roomm8 at UCLA had one, in the 90's.  It bit me on the foot

NowhereMan:

--- Quote from: - on June 29, 2021, 05:46:49 PM ---Bruh's roomm8 at UCLA had one, in the 90's.  It bit me on the foot

--- End quote ---

It seems like they used to be fairly common pets. I wonder when it became illegal to keep them...

tedski:

--- Quote from: NowhereMan on June 29, 2021, 05:52:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: - on June 29, 2021, 05:46:49 PM ---Bruh's roomm8 at UCLA had one, in the 90's.  It bit me on the foot

--- End quote ---

It seems like they used to be fairly common pets. I wonder when it became illegal to keep them...

--- End quote ---

Some form of a ban existed as early as the 1930s... https://www.legalizeferrets.org/how-the-ban-began/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version