Dive Zone > Kayak Diving and Spearfishing

Wetsuit opinions

(1/4) > >>

bluekayak:
I知 spending a lot of hours in the saltwater and need something warmer and flexier than what I知 using now

My current suit is 4/3 O誰eil back zip, warm enough when I知 surfing but mostly I知 swimming the surf lineup w camera in hand and it gets chilly after a few hours. Typical day is 3-4 hours some days as much as 10

The custom double skin suits we used to get at Stan痴 dive shop in San Jose were almost too warm, after long day diving in winter there was steam when you peeled your suit. The other good thing about straight neoprene was stretch and fit, doesn稚 compromise your flexibility.

That suit was good for both work and play and was warm even in the iciest waters. Not sure what the thickness was but probably at least 5mm. I知 sure materials must be better nowadays

I知 on the hunt for something close to that old custom suit, the surf suits I致e had over the last few years are not even close

Fitness is improving after some major speed bumps and I知 getting the freedive itch again, so thinking FJ and pullover jacket, maybe camo Not worried about price, we are in the water a lot

Anyway looking for opinions about whats good these days

Fisherman X:
Sounds to me like you need two suits.

Mako open cell Yamamoto suits are pretty darn good - and warm for freediving. Not sure about it for swimming in the surf with a camera. Good materials, nice price.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Wetsuits-s/94.htm

I壇 talk to the folks at seventhwave, they do really nice custom work and have many options which may suit your different purposes.

https://www.seventhwave.co.nz/

Also, the Freedive shop in Sac has a good selection of dive suits and are super helpful, IME.

https://www.freediveshop.com/product-category/neoprene/

fishemotion:
Not suit op., but titanium/silver? lined Yazbec(from back in the day) gloves/socks found to be really warm in comparison to non-lined omer and others I tried. I liked the dexterity and fit of the gloves(1.5-2mm?), though some were sorta fragile and developed holes in the fingertips from rocks/reef/ab/etc. Liked em so much, compared to anything else I tried, that I kept patching them and getting additional new pairs even though I thought they were kinda pricey. Free dive shop used to have some really good yearly seasonal sale hook-ups and the husband/wife team were  awesome.

The Yazbec lined socks(4-6mm?) were quite warm as well, sometimes even too warm for my usage and I usually get cold in the extremities quickly. Ended up using the socks situationally as the lining/lube combo made for unsteadiness/slip while hiking and clamoring rocks and such. But most times before donning, I would look at them and think... oooh sliding into toastiness.

Have a similar lined thin Omer vest and like it very much so that I get excited any time I can find an excuse to use it . Hope I can still squeeze into it  :smt005

fishemotion:
Heard the cut on triathlete suits are made for good mobility and moving through the water but fragile..

bluekayak:
Thanks I値l look at those

Currently have 4/3 O誰eill psychotech suits which aren稚 bad but designed for surfing, not the kind of exposure you get being in cold water for hours. They are fine for days on the longboard

All my time is swimming while my son is on his short board, not much surfing for me. Mostly kicking w fins against currents and through the break zone, so need good elasticity for sprint swimming

I think the triathlete suits will be too thin for what I知 doing

Seems like there are a lot more options these days but not many places to look at and lay your hands on dive stuff. Surf shops are all over the place, dive shops seem to be struggling

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version