Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

Sunday Stripers - San Joaquin 4/18/2021

(1/2) > >>

Trouter925:
Fished out on the San Joaquin on Sunday.  Caught 7 stripers in about 4 hours in the morning.  All were undersized with exception of maybe one.  They were particularly feisty and I thought all were larger fish until I saw them.  A couple of larger followers when fish were on.  One close encounter with a sea lion while fish was on.  Swooped fish into kayak and let if flop about until I thought coast was clear.  All fish caught on the riprap where drop off to deep water was quick.  I didn't catch any fish in the shallows.  The fish didn't care for a steady retrieve.  All came on pause between strips on erratic retrieve. 

Out going tide and the current wasn't very strong current.  Water temp was about 63F.  Nice morning out.  A little breeze but not enough to mess with casting, just enough to cool off.

DancesWithHooks:
I can't think of a fish that is more fun to catch on a flyrod ...

The first one I caught was almost as big as the fly, probably about 9" long, and I thought it was at least three times that...

Anything bigger than 5 lbs and you get a free tow ... strong fish, and a hoot to catch. Awesome!

SpeedyStein:
Nice! Where did you launch from there?

pindo124:
I don't recognize the spot in the photo but I hit the SJ either from Pirate's Lair or Eddo's.
Bill

DavidMel:
Me too.  I want to spot burn.  Tell me where you launched, the time, temperature and how you fished and where you caught them.  :smt044

Just pulling chains here on a Friday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version