Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

Fished Indian Valley Reservoir yesterday

(1/3) > >>

DancesWithHooks:
The 12 miles of dirt road tend to screen the casual, so I wound up being largely alone. Caught 5 smallmouth on a Gray Wooly Bugger (size 4) - and was surprised to find my biggest fish was a Catfish ... which made my day. First Catfish on a fly  (about 2lb) and while I had heard they ate fairly aggressively, was surprised to see it on my line.

As it always does, the wind came up at 11AM and blew me all over Hell's Half Acre, so I stashed the fly rod and fished a variety of conventional tackle. Indian Valley always blows heavily at 11AM, then the wind starts to taper later in the afternoon, so bring some conventional gear to fish during the worst of the blow.

Caught 10 largemouth, one more Catfish (about same size) and two additional Smallmouth using a Senko worm during the windy period. Beached the kayak numerous times to hold position in the wind - then fished the Senko on the points. Brain Damage good fun, and well worth the trip.

Mark L:
Thanks for sharing, I fly fished when I was in my teens but haven’t since. I should give it a try again sometime.

DancesWithHooks:
You have to love pain to truly enjoy fly fishing. I just pinch all my barbs so that it makes it easier to extract all that metal from my arse cheek ... wind is not your friend. Learn at the local club without a hook - it emboldens you to try it for real with a wind blowing ...

For the others, proof of Catfish ... that way I cannot be blamed for no picture .

tedski:
Not fishing related, but more curiosity for my dual sport motorcycle planning...  Do you come in from the north (Lodoga Leesville Rd) or from 20 (Walker Ridge Road)?  Either way, what were the road conditions?  Lots of washboard or fairly well graded?  Any washouts to navigate?

DancesWithHooks:
The North end of the lake is Leesville Lodoga Road, it's a one lane track through the woods that would be difficult to get a trailer through ... and there is a lot of %$#@&^% camping at the North end with a lot of firepower (lots of bullets flying at times). Because this is a drought year the North End is dry ... It's a dry lakebed up to the creek channel and a bit beyond.

I come in through the Southern end at the dam, which is the Ridge route off of HWY 20. The road is pitted in places but is a bit wider than the Leesville route - so you can travel a bit faster due to the road conditions. There is a lot of offroad types on this side - and numerous encampments of California Militia, which use the area with frequency.

The Ridge road has a few potholes but is very navigable with a two wheel drive vehicle. There is plenty of washboard action - but no washouts or other obstacles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version