Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:51:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Clarification on Photo Rules  (Read 2372 times)

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
So, I took this terrible photo of my PB lingcod that I don't plan to submit to AOTY due to how terrible the photo is.  However, I wanted to use this as a learning opportunity.  A few questions:

The rules say no pinching of the lips, but I'm obviously pinching the mouth closed here.  Would that be a violation of that rule?

The rules don't mention anything about photo editing.  The hashmark is barely visible, but is visible at 29".   Would it be within the rules to use photo editing software to lower highlights and increase contrast in that area in order to increase readability of the hash marks?

And yes, I'll be blackening my measurement marks this evening.  When I first got the trough, I thought, "just color in the legality marks for what you target, only the tourney guys need all measurements marked."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 04:50:12 PM by tedski »
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Midwest

• AOTY Commitee 2018
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Congrats on your PB ling It’s always fun trying to get a good picture of a fish your releasing. As far as using editing to your photo to enhance markings I don’t see an issue with that.. it is better as stated to just color your hash marks on your board. The mouth of your Lingcod does not seem to be fully closed even with your hand holding it to the board. That would be the main reason I see to reject or ask for another picture.   I try to press on the gil plate area to close a lings mouth and push to the board not sure that helps  :smt003
Licensed Fishing Guide since 2015 
Hobie Fishing Team 
Pacific Outfitters Fishing Team
Follow Me @Kayakfishsonoma

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Great info!  The other reason to reject this photo is that the tail kept lifting from the board.  This one realistically measured in at 28.5" but the photo suggests 29".  Between the excitement of a PB ling and the desire to have the fish out of the water for the shortest time and preserve as much slime as possible really had me moving a little too quickly for good photos.  Either way, it would have been difficult to hold the tail down, hold the mouth closed and get a photo.   :smt044

Any tips on positioning big lings so their tail doesn't curl up and their mouth stays closed?
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

cookiemonster

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
I feel you tedski.

I had a ling the same size as yours but couldn't get the mouth to close all the way after the rigor mortis set in (also the head is just a little tricky to position flush on the board), so I figured I would just have to prepare for a better picture next time. Now this just means you need to catch a BIGGER one to make up for it

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Great info!  The other reason to reject this photo is that the tail kept lifting from the board.  This one realistically measured in at 28.5" but the photo suggests 29".  Between the excitement of a PB ling and the desire to have the fish out of the water for the shortest time and preserve as much slime as possible really had me moving a little too quickly for good photos.  Either way, it would have been difficult to hold the tail down, hold the mouth closed and get a photo.   :smt044

Any tips on positioning big lings so their tail doesn't curl up and their mouth stays closed?

Sometime fish (all fish in my experience) when they tense up like that won’t easily photograph until they relax. If you stick them back in the water either in a net or on a gripper they will start to move again and relax. Also a big rubber band or multiple small rubber bands will help lay the tail flat.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

tedski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Sometime fish (all fish in my experience) when they tense up like that won’t easily photograph until they relax. If you stick them back in the water either in a net or on a gripper they will start to move again and relax. Also a big rubber band or multiple small rubber bands will help lay the tail flat.

Awesome tips!  Thanks so much!
Hobie Passport 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Yep, the rubber band trick helps keep the tail down.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything