Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

6wt Setup Advice

(1/2) > >>

FLYAKER65:
Hello All- Hoping for some input re: matching up a 7’10” 6wt rod with
a reel and line to target freshwater water bass, trout and maybe even some light surf sessions but primarily a sweetwater rig. 

I only have some experience with a 9’ 8wt fast sinking setup off the kayak and surf which I really like but for this new setup Im thinking to spool up the 6wt rod with 7wt line in both a suspending and
floating version.

If doing something similar I’d really appreciate your input
on whats been working for you. Much Thanks

ScottV:
When I fish for bass, here is my setups.

5 weight rod with an intermediate line.  I use this one the most

5 weight rod with a type 3 line.  I use this 2nd most.

Those are also my go to for trout, bluegills and crappie.  Carp when I can find them.

Then to get deeper and throw bigger flies:

6 weight rod with a type 8 line.

Of course I also have a 5 weight with a floating line for top water.

And a 5 weight with a floating line that has an integrated intermediate tip.  My go to at places like Davis Lake when the trout are working the surface.

For surf I mostly use a 7 weight with a length of t14 for distance and throwing bigger flies, plus you never know what you might hook into.

FLYAKER65:
Thanks Scotty- Thats a great rundown of tools. Im for sure a good ways off from that kind of coverage. I feel like going from 8wt to 6wt will be a good transition into lighter setups over time. Only being my second fly rod I’m kinda stuck on crossover type setups. Eventually if I improve enough I’ll start treating myself to a larger variety. I’ll keep your notes in mind as I build up broader understanding on how to dial in a setup.
Whatever I do will teach me what works and what doesn't ultimately I guess. Im still a bit intimidated by cost and not wanting to completely miss the mark for what I want. The key is knowing more about what I need vs what I think I need so thanks again.

ScottV:
My go to rod is a 5 weight, I have 5 of them I think.  I have a plethora of other fly rods.

If you have any questions or want to meet up some time drop me a message.  I'm headed to Seco Sunday for trout, bass, bluegills and crappie.  I love getting the grand slam on the same fly and line out there.

The main trick with fly fishing is matching the line to the rod.  If the line isn't right for the rod, even I have a hard time casting it.

My preferred manufacturer is TFO, the rods are fair priced, great warranty, and cast great.  I'll take my $150 rod and put it up against any $700 Simms or other rod.  As for reels, you don't need anything special, all it does is hold the line.  The only time I spend descent money on reels is for my bigger rods where I need a god drag system.  But for bass, I have yet to have one take me to the reel and I have caught them in the 25" range.

Trouter925:
I guess begin with the end in mind.  What do you want to do with 6wt?  Throw tiny dries and wets or smaller streamers? - your plain weight forward line will be good enough.  Throw streamers / big bugs?  Maybe SA Titan or Rio Outbound short for the big stuff.  Minimal casting, easy distance.  Not subtle landing...  Both those lines are like 2 sizes over.  Look at the grain weights when you buy - don't overline if you're buying one of those lines. 

I would encourage you to use what you have and not buy too much immediately. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version