Kayak Zone > Kayaks

Outback vs Compass

(1/1)

poulton:
Any info on hull differences between Outback and Compass

Outback is heavier and leaning toward the compass

Corey:
I've had both. I think it's pretty straight forward

Outback is bigger, better equipped for downriggers and more gear and better storage, especially as delivered.

Compass is lighter (valuable feature) and it costs some additional money to get the storage in a better position (install square hatch and move round up front). Even then, you won't have the h-rail system that is a winner on the Outback.

All in all, i like the outback. But the weight of the Compass is definitely something i miss.

NowhereMan:
I have no experience with either but this discussion on the Hobie forum might be useful:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=64022

Poopsmith:
I was worried about the weight difference between the two, and I just felt that the compass would be easier to manage, but the truth is its like 13 lbs difference and almost identical length, the outback just has sharper edges that make it less manageble. I was worried because my last kayak was so difficult to car top it would prevent me from going out as much but with the new outbacks kickstand car topping is SUPER EASY and i dont feel constrained by it at all.

I mean i cant lift it over my head or anything especially with all the gear and storage items i have in the hull + the water that seems to always splash in, but that little kickstand is a back saver and a rudder saver. the compass has something similar but I think you need to strap it in, the outback version snaps in super secure with the awesome hbar handle in the back.

Love my outback once I figured out how to load it easily, but I think i would also be happy w a compass.

Nicky Boombatz:
I went with the Compass and I like it. 
    One thing to keep in mind is that the stock Outback comes more accessories and storage (2 hull storage areas ($100), net pockets ($20 each), rails, turbo fins upgrades ($200) etc.) if you are looking to add things like this to your Compass, might be worth it to cost out what you want and compare it to what the outback comes with and price difference. Also the Compass loader ($40) is a must buy unless you have a clever way to load it, otherwise the rudder can get damaged as mentioned before, and it is easy to install and feels solid.
     I am a slim tall guy and I can pick up the kayak and put it on my shoulder no problem, challenge is balancing a 12 foot 80-ish pound thing from one point.
  things I dont like and cannot be purchased for the compass:
    The handles by the seat suck, more of a rock climbing finger hold than a handle. If you're a lefty you might not like that there is only one rudder control handle as opposed to 2 on the outback
    Both seem to be a good choice with the Outback being the more popular.

Cant speak to which one is faster, but I'm up for a drag race to find out though! pinky promise I won't have one of these:  https://shop.texaspowerpaddle.com/

after looking at the Hobie site, hope someone gets one of these https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-fiesta/   looks like fun! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version