Kayak Zone > Kayaks

Vibe Shearwater 125

(1/1)

bobnotthebuilder:
What are peoples thoughts on the Vibe Shearwater + Hobie Drive combo? I don't see the Shearwater mentioned much here and as someone looking to purchase their first kayak soon I was wondering if there was a reason.

Raacerx:
I recently got a Vibe Shearwater 125 as an upgrade from my Yellowfin 100.  I love it, and the price and features can't be beat IMO.  It's also the cheapest yak that can be converted to pedals, plus I like the option to run the Hobie pedals via the yakgadget plate, and I have hopes the Vibe Xdrive will eventually improve and be a budget option.   

There are some things you'll want to immediately change, like some modifications to the rudder and the seat and such, but they're all dirt cheap DIY stuff you can do at home.  For me it's absolutely perfect because I do a lot of spearfishing and scuba diving, and it rides a couple inches lower in the water than most of the Hobies with less of a lip to get over.  It's also 34" wide and insanely stable, so it's really easy and comfortable for me to get out of the water.  It's very easy to stand up and fish from in a lake, although I wouldn't do it in the ocean.  Keep in mind I'm only a 160-170 pounds and I run about 20-30 pounds of gear, so I'm wayyyyyy below the capacity rating, but I've seen plenty of videos of big dudes doing offshore stuff. 

Biggest complaints I have is that it's fairly heavy (it's over 80 pounds without pedals and without most of my gear, although pretty par for the course at 12.5 feet), and the mods and support available, but it's not like I'm missing anything.  My other complaint is that the factory accessory rails on the front edges aren't very solid; my GoPro boom easily flexes it quite a bit, and I question trolling from it with a rod holder or anchored in moving water. 

All that aside, I tried a ton of kayaks and did a crazy amount of research; if you're on a budget like me, looking for something that can handle the Pacific but isn't too large for small lakes, and don't care about having a Hobie or as much aftermarket support, it's perfect.  If money is no object, I'd probably just get the appropriate Hobie, but I also like to be different.  I am curious if it will last a good 10 years of abuse, the material seems a little more flexible than most of the Hobies I've tried (that could be good or bad, depending on the situation).

Sin Coast:
Dude, excellent description! Thank you. I’m tempted to get one and have another kayak that works with my Mirage Drive. But they’re still relatively new so it’s hard to find reviews.

bobnotthebuilder:
Awesome, thanks for the insight. Are you running a Vibe drive or a Hobie drive?

*edit just saw your picture and it looks like you aren't running a drive yet. You have any plans on getting a Vibe or Hobie drive?

Raacerx:

--- Quote from: bobnotthebuilder on January 12, 2021, 08:12:37 PM ---Awesome, thanks for the insight. Are you running a Vibe drive or a Hobie drive?

*edit just saw your picture and it looks like you aren't running a drive yet. You have any plans on getting a Vibe or Hobie drive?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, no drive yet.  I could have stretched the budget for the Vibe X-drive, but the reviews sounded like it was a crapshoot on whether you got a good set or a bad set.  My local Vibe dealer is more of a guide outfit, so I didn't want to have to deal with warranty/service since they're not really set up for that.  It definitely seems like the QC is getting better and better though. 

I'm buying the Mirage pedalset with the yakgadget adapter in April when rockfish season starts back up.  I don't find it a life changer in lakes and budget is low right now, hence holding off. 

--- Quote from: Sin Coast on January 12, 2021, 01:51:54 PM ---Dude, excellent description! Thank you. I’m tempted to get one and have another kayak that works with my Mirage Drive. But they’re still relatively new so it’s hard to find reviews.

--- End quote ---

That was the other reason I went this route; later this year we will upgrade her Yellowfin to a Hobie Outback as we'll have a lot more disposable income (I just went back to work after 3 years off). I wanted the option to swap drives between the two kayaks in case there was ever an issue, and knew we'd eventually get a Hobie.

Most of the reviews I found are in the panhandle region as I feel the Vibe presence is bigger down there, but there's a guy on Youtube up in Humboldt (I imagine he might be on this forum) that does a lot of offshore stuff and likes it  They also have an Outback or Compass and he does some side to side comparisons that were really helpful. 

If anyone would ever like to take it out, don't hesitate to ask.  I'm based out of Emeryville and Sebastopol, and I work in Napa.  I've usually got it on my roof 1-2 days a week so I can launch somewhere at lunch.  I got it from Napa Valley Paddle; they may still have some in stock, they can be sort of difficult to find, especially since Dicks doesn't carry them and they're the main Vibe national retailer. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version