General > Fish Talk

"Sea-run" brown trout in the Trinity River...do they really exist?

(1/4) > >>

Clayman:
We all know there are brown trout in the Trinity.  Some of them are pretty damn big too.  But I see a lot of talk on the Internet and fishing reports claiming that these larger browns are actually anadromous.  However, I've never heard of anyone catching a brown in the Klamath.  Nor have I ever heard of any browns being counted at the Willow Creek weir.  You'd think if they were anadromous, then they'd be at least somewhat common in the lower Klamath.

My thoughts on it: I think those big bruiser browns in the upper Trinity gorge themselves on the millions of naive hatchery salmon and steelhead smolts that are released from Lewiston, and that's how they get so big.  What do you guys think?  Does anyone have proof of sea-going brown trout in the Trinity River?

Yosemite Rob:
I will have to dig deep into the memory bank, but thought I remember reading about a brown trout caught in Europe that had something from the ocean in its stomach.

Clayman:
Sea-run browns do exist, but the only place I've ever heard of them being mentioned on the west coast of the U.S. is the Trinity River.  Many people claim that river supports an anadromous population, but I was wondering if it's actually true or just a long-lasting rumor.

beenfishin:
It's true. We have done a ton of work on the Trinity, I'll dig through some of our data and talk with our biologist who headed up our last telemetry studies. I lost a brown that was easily 15lbs after an hour fight at Steiners last year....that fish will haunt my dreams forever.
-beenfishin

Clayman:

--- Quote from: beenfishin on January 25, 2013, 08:32:19 PM ---It's true. We have done a ton of work on the Trinity, I'll dig through some of our data and talk with our biologist who headed up our last telemetry studies. I lost a brown that was easily 15lbs after an hour fight at Steiners last year....that fish will haunt my dreams forever.
-beenfishin

--- End quote ---
Ben, that'd be awesome if you could send me some of that data!  These mysterious sea-run browns have intrigued me for some years now, wondering if they're anadromous or resident.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version