Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shelter Cove - 9/19/21  (Read 1736 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
9/19/21 at the Cove with Matt.

Originally set for Saturday, we avoided the big rain storm and got on it early Sunday morning.  The ocean had a hangover from all the south wind, and a big NW ground swell was ruling the day - smashing the point with breakers that were forming way further out than usual.

Matt's been on the ocean a bunch and has seen some nasty water aboard scuba excursion boats out of So Cal, but this would be his first time out on his PA14.  The Pro Angler 14 footer is a big kayak - some call it a "bass boat".  It's a totally seaworthy craft, but if your drive fails or you somehow capsize, the weight and size of this beast may have you scrambling for solutions.  I've actually had a client on a PA experience drive failure while we were offshore, but luckily he had a 2nd one with him!  In Matt's case, he has his yak outfitted with a Bixby electric motor on the stern, so I was pleased to have that as insurance against a drive problem.

After cruising the heavy bait near the harbor hoping for a salmon bite, we decided to head around the corner to see what was biting on the reef.  Things started out a bit slow, but soon we had some keeper rockfish aboard.  We were staying well clear of the point due to the big swell, and a minor morning shower with associated light winds calmed down to produce glass on the big rollers that were coming in at 8' every 11 seconds - felt more like 10 feet at times!  The glass enticed us out toward the whistle buoy where the swell wasn't as prominent as it was inshore, and we enjoyed a great bite from a large grade of blacks, a couple of blues and a yellow tail.  Not a ton of variety and no lingcod biting, but building stringers with quality rockies had us content for sure.

As we trolled our way in the swell had really showed up and was getting all the way in to the launch.  We did a few passes hoping for a salmon to show up late in the game, and then we were headed in to time the sets and get back on the beach for fillet time.

Matt and I had hoped for a salmon, but all in all he did great with the techniques that I showed him and confirmed his own absolute seaworthiness in a big swell.  There's certainly nothing wrong with breaking in your first offshore kayak session with a stack of rockfish. 

Salmon is open until Halloween, but they can be scarce this late in the season.  Rockfish and lingcod are open until the end of the year, and the fall often produces some of the nicest fishing weather of the season. 

Maybe you are ready to book a date and learn about my fresh fish guarantee at the Cove...
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

adamhelm67

• General Manager/Instructor/Fishing Guide Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Salmon
  • View Profile Monterey Bay Kayaks
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
looks like great conditions. I have to get up there and fish with the master
Get out there and Fish!

IG:adam.helm
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKthF1LaYo43WZur6EI_6mg
Monterey Bay Kayaks
Topwater PDL 106/120
Prowler 13
Trident 13

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.