Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: SOT's for the bigger guys  (Read 5684 times)

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Wow, that is definitely one that I will want to check out for sure!  Impressive set of features and a well thought out design.  Thanks ST!  :smt006

Is that what Mark (eelkram) has which he won at SF3?
Idk, but I know dan @ headwaters was a dealer at one point. Great kayaks it’s too bad there’s not a big following. 
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Al-

You might like the regular OT Predator 13.  The camp chair style seat sits right on the deck in the 'low' position.  super super stable awhile remaining a pretty darn good paddler.  I have a couple of the 11's.  You're welcome to try out anytime. You are looking for paddle not pedal. right?

ps I have a 4.7 you can borrow as well, just like Ablone Johnny's.

Bushy

Thanks Bushy!  I just might take you up on that!  :smt003 Correct, looking for a good paddle yak, have plenty with pedals already  :smt044 I like a standard kayak for most rockfishing and surf launching.  The X-Factor has been great for that, but no longer for sale.

I've been hesitant on the camp chairs after I purchased a 2015 Hobie Outback with the new style chair, and was totally uncomfortable and it felt way less stable than my original Outback.  Sold it, and kept my old one but basically only use it for freshwater now.  A standard seat lets me feel more connected to the kayak and feels more stable.  But I've not tried a lot of them, so I should still check it out and see what it's like.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
You can borrow my 2010 Trident 4.7 anytime to see if that's the kind of boat you want!

Gonna keep it tho :smt044
Thanks Johnny!  I've actually always wanted to try one out!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
It's not as flashy as the other recommendations, but since I happily paddled one for several years I have to give a shout out to the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem XL Angler.  It's very easy to add additional gear tracks, although the stock features are quite a bit less than the other models you are considering.  At ~71 lbs without the seat its much easier to handle than my Hobie Outback.  It also has "useable weight capacity" of 427 lbs whatever that means.

The main downside for me was it sits a little high out of the water and can catch the wind.  The main upside was flexibility to take out the kids as a tandem or set up in the middle seat for a very stable solo ride.  I once took out another fairly large adult outside of Gerstle Cove and it was surprisingly stable with ~350lbs of dude on it.

https://oceankayak.johnsonoutdoors.com/kayaking/tandem/malibu-two-xl-angler

all the recent cove action inspired me to dig out this pic
Thanks for the suggestion!  It would be fun to play around with one and take kids out on otw but not exactly what i'm looking for at the moment.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Many years ago, I forget if it was Loleta Eric or Sincoast?... had a Cobra marauder tandem? alongside on the beach. I had thought my 16' Hobie adventure was big at first...When I looked over and spotted it, I remember saying "that kayak is HUGE" it was a massive ship. Or maybe it was a malibu2 or xfactor tandem. Was flabbergasted anyhow
I think Craig/Trianglelaguna still rocks some Cobra's. Not sure if they are still in production though.

piscellaneous

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
+1. I'm 6'4 220 and I have really bonded with one of these. I use a 265 cm paddle for paddling in the center-back position. I'm able to average 2.5-3 mph easily and have launched and landed in the surf and have only capsized a couple of times on landings. Once past the break it's nearly impossible to tip. It can be a very long paddle in though when the wind kicks up which has affected my planning and how far out I'm willing to go on outings on particular days. There is also the occasional hull slap. With a small kid you can stay in the middle-back position and with another adult you slide all the way back and you can really move along. It's light enough to carry over my head for short walks to launch sites.
[/quote]
It's not as flashy as the other recommendations, but since I happily paddled one for several years I have to give a shout out to the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two Tandem XL Angler.  It's very easy to add additional gear tracks, although the stock features are quite a bit less than the other models you are considering.  At ~71 lbs without the seat its much easier to handle than my Hobie Outback.  It also has "useable weight capacity" of 427 lbs whatever that means.

The main downside for me was it sits a little high out of the water and can catch the wind.  The main upside was flexibility to take out the kids as a tandem or set up in the middle seat for a very stable solo ride.  I once took out another fairly large adult outside of Gerstle Cove and it was surprisingly stable with ~350lbs of dude on it.

https://oceankayak.johnsonoutdoors.com/kayaking/tandem/malibu-two-xl-angler

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Wow, that is definitely one that I will want to check out for sure!  Impressive set of features and a well thought out design.  Thanks ST!  :smt006

Is that what Mark (eelkram) has which he won at SF3?

Yup.  I love it and I'll never part with it.  :smt003  I don't have the rudder for it, but it tracks straight and paddles nicely.  It's a well thought out fishing kayak. 

Al, if you wanna take it for a spin, let me know.     
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have a thresheryou can use to try out. Was made for us big guys and the ocean. one of the best in my opinion.... https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/thresher
The blue one in this vidio is my boat with Racinrob on it
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I have a thresheryou can use to try out. Was made for us big guys and the ocean. one of the best in my opinion.... https://www.wildernesssystems.com/us/thresher
The blue one in this vidio is my boat with Racinrob on it
That video was great!  Thanks for another good suggestion Ron, i'll check it out!

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Dude just come over and pick up this Kraken. You can borrow it for however long you want it. Its rated for 350lbs but I bet it can do 400 easy. And the Jackson chair is the sturdiest/comfyest.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Aight, let me try out that Kraken :smt003  Can you bring it Saturday, or let me drop by and pick it up?

anything