Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:36:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trying to understand Moss Landing gnarly entrace  (Read 2675 times)

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

For those of you who are a lot more familiar with Moss Landing than me, what's the secret to avoid the gnarly entrance to the harbor?   I understand that the sea floor rise up in a hurry.  Anything else other than wild tide swings that I can watch to see if I can avoid the gnarly situation to go into the harbor?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:28:50 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Other than tide swings and the wind, I'm not sure what else would be an issue. There's a lot of water in the slough, and it can be moving like a river thru the jaws (as in faster than you can paddle/pedal). You definitely want to check the tides before venturing out there on a kayak...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Having gone there too many times to count in an AI, then motorized version of same AI, it's not a kayak-friendly place. The fishing grounds are usually miles away and you're traveling in isolation for the most part. As for the entrance, you have to also watch out for the wind conditions and vessels going full throttle until they're deep inside (or heading outside).

Even in my boat now, I'm always ready to start the kicker in case the main sputters -- gives you an idea of the potential dangers of that entrance.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:33:19 PM by nudling »
hobie24 hobie08 rip

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Other than tide swings and the wind, I'm not sure what else would be an issue. There's a lot of water in the slough, and it can be moving like a river thru the jaws (as in faster than you can paddle/pedal). You definitely want to check the tides before venturing out there on a kayak...
I have sail & motor, so power wise, I think i should be able to do it (or I can wait out the tide, not preferable by far).  But the waves, now that's something else. 
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
Having gone there too many times to count in an AI, then motorized version of same AI, it's not a kayak-friendly place. The fishing grounds are usually miles away and you're traveling in isolation for the most part. As for the entrance, you have to also watch out for the wind conditions and vessels going full throttle until they're deep inside (or heading outside).

Even in my boat now, I'm always ready to start the kicker in case the main sputters -- gives you an idea of the potential dangers of that entrance.

Thanks!  Yes, I am often wondering if I am going to be outrun by a speeding boat who is also trying to make it in safely. 

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
If your motor is the electric kind, I would be very hesitant to try it or at least have someone with you. The entrance like nudding mention can be very dicey!! Just be weary that boaters and bigger boats goes full speed. Afternoon when wind and waves goes through it’s a fun ride lol

Given everything just make sure you have all your safety stuff which I’m sure you do.

I’ll pm you some location if you are going for salmon. It’s very doable. Within 3-4 miles. Last week was a killer bite!! Not sure if they moved on or not. It’s windy this week but swell are great.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Quote from: nudling

Heads up - Right here you are receiving some of the best advice available on this page regarding this subject. 

I grew up going in and out of the Humboldt jetties on my dad's powerboats.  Exiting and re-entering a harbor entrance/jetties is potentially sketchy at any given time - especially outgoing tide against a significant incoming swell.  If you don't know and completely understand the idea that outgoing tide against the incoming swell = way worse conditions, then you need to park it until you have it down pat.  That said, you have to somehow work with the tide, so it's about picking the flattest days and then double-checking that even that low swell isn't building up against the outgoing. 

Planning to go out against the incoming isn't the best idea.  Planning to come in against the outgoing is absolutely the worst idea.  Read that again - Planning to come in against the outgoing is absolutely the worst idea.

When you exit the 'jaws' AT slack low tide you give yourself the best chance of avoiding harshly steep swells from that outgoing tide vs incoming swell effect.  AND, when you exit right at low tide, you have about 6 hours to just turn around and go in with the tide.  The incoming tide, with the incoming swell, usually just means a whole lot of easy, but it sounds like Moss Landing is a lot narrower than the Humboldt Bay entrance.  It sounds like powerboaters jamming through around you might cause wakes bad enough to combine with the swell to create a hazard that's way more than trivial. 

So, if you exit AT low on a nice flat day, you have about 6 hours to transit to and from and do your fishing - THAT, becomes the main limiting factor for kayak salmon success out of ML, IMO.

Know all the factors at work and don't underestimate it.  That's my read.   :smt001
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Thats exactly why I ask for advice.  Moss is do-able and it has its good days (just like other places), but we always prep for the worst and I'll be damned if I dont do my homework :)

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
   I used to go out of Moss maybe 5 times a season for about 5 years, and never had any problems.  I think it was just dumb luck, but I did pick my days carefully - no big tide (and therefore current) swings, very light winds, small swells.  Often, I'd head northwest, as that is the direction of the prevailing wind, and I'd get to the possible salmon grounds within a couple of miles.    And when the wind started to pick up at all, I headed in.   From that direction, you do have to be careful not to cut the corner (of the north jetty) because it's shoal there and the surf builds up.
    I think the reason I went fewer, and then none times is that (besides getting old) I heard of other kayakers having big problems at the jaws and realized that if it looks too nasty to try going in there aren't any good alternative landing spots -beach break city- and trying to wait out the ebb is going to get you into even higher winds and wind chop.  If there was no, or very light wind threatened, waiting on the jaws slack current would be an option.
      But it is fun to see your ff go nuts trying to figure out how deep the canyon is!  Good luck, and be careful!   

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Apart from the wind/swell conditions for the trek back, Moss is good for pajaro or straight out via kayak. There was a bite right out front, but that hasn't happened in years. If you're targeting mulligans/soldiers or the tip of soquel hole, monterey and SC might be the better launches.

Going from jaws to the usual fishing spots 4-6 miles away is eerie AF. 

hobie24 hobie08 rip

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Yes!  I have that same feeling about Moss!
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Yes!  I have that same feeling about Moss!

That place gives me bad vibes ever since my whale encounter...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
On outgoing tide the amount of water going through there and pushing against a big swell can make the whole zone approaching the jaws a pretty wild ride. One afternoon coming in it tumbled my tarpon 160 twice maybe 15 minutes apart, not a fun place to swim and right a yak

I think last time I came in there I made it in but had my doubts and considered beach landing above there. That was on a 575 which is fast and light, probably took 45 minutes to go half mile

When it’s bad it’s the whole zone outside stretching out through the buoys maybe a mile or more

Another thing that can happen there is wind switches direction. One time while I was getting ready to launch the wind picked up and flipped 180 degrees before I even got in the water. I had a change of heart about going out in offshore wind and had trouble getting the t160 back on the car the wind was so strong

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Lots of good advice. Moss Landing entrance  is the one ocean spot where I have been most afraid. Tide, Wind, Swell, Wind Waves and don't forget other boat traffic.  One of the BIG bait boat guys asked me to tell all my kayak friends to hang a radar reflector.  From where he sits in his wheelhouse he can't see us whatsoever.

My wife paddles inside the slough,she used to guide tours. Always tried to time the tours for Incoming/Outgoing.  I think the current there can get up to six knots or so?  Piscean or Adam Helm probly know) Anyway the current just by itself can be too much for us mere mortals to paddle against.  Throw in the swell and siedways sind wanves, and the rebound bounce for the Jetties.  All the sweeter when you take in all the info, add a dash of inshore salmon bite, time it perfectly, and come in with a limit! 

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
One of the BIG bait boat guys asked me to tell all my kayak friends to hang a radar reflector.  From where he sits in his wheelhouse he can't see us whatsoever.

Oh how I so know about this one.  The swell could be a roller coaster ride .... no you see it, now you dont ..... and yeah, damn salmon .....

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

anything