Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:08:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Old Town Sportsman Autopilot experiences?  (Read 4370 times)

jmox

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
My better half and I have recently bought a travel Trailer and am wanting to get away from taking two rigs for the trailer and boat. I saw the sportsman autopilot and instantly fell in love coming from a bass boat with spotlock. Call me a gear hoe but I enjoy all the bells and whistles. I don’t kayak for the serenity I kayak because it makes life easier sometimes rather than beating my big boat up. Any input is much appreciated!

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Any input is much appreciated!

“Sportsman Autopilot” - mutually exclusive, IMO. Like: Jumbo Shrimp.

Sure, it’d be nice to not have to pedal or paddle, rudder and tack to hold a spot cause o wind, waves or current. Doesn’t that kind of remove the challenge, the skill and perhaps the feeling of accomplishment should you get it right?
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

jmox

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
We can agree to disagree. I’ve got no problem working smarter and not harder when I’m on vacation. I’m on the water to fish and not to paddle. If I wanted to paddle I’d buy a canoe. Same thing goes for peddle. I would buy a bike if that’s was the case.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Seems like a solid kayak! Another option would be adding a trolling motor to a different model kayak (gogle bassyaks trolling motor). Most can be retrofitted—or buy a pedal kayak then get one of those Bixby style motors that drop-in to the pedal slot.
The Jonny boats setup with trolling motor seems like a good, affordable option for your style too.
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

SandyToes

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
If you want to see it in action, check out Die Hard Fishing's channel on youtube.  Most of his recent kayak vids are on one, including one where he has to do some fairly simple repairs to the electrical system if you want to see one of the potential failure points.  He's also one of my favorite fishing youtubers as a bonus, but I don't watch a ton of fishing youtube so my sample size is small.

I personally kinda feel like why not get a real boat you can put your friends or family in if you are going the motorized route, but I can also see a certain narrow niche it fills, and of course to each their own.  Good luck with the research!

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I like the idea of human powered craft so I'll stick with pedals and paddles.  But I was at OP one afternoon and one of the YouTuber's with his comp Old Town Sportsman had just finished the day and was at the ramp when I showed up.  He struggled to get it on his cart and up the ramp. Too big and heavy especially when loaded up with gear.  I jumped off my kayak and helped lift the beast onto the cart and up the ramp. 

It's my one data point but it told me all I needed to know! 

Sand
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

Poopsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
a bunch of the bay area youtubers got autopilots last winter so you should check them out, nick and diehard forsure have them. diehards last clickbait title said his motor died, i havent watched it yet tho.
"I'm not a human I'm Amphibian" - Larry the Fisherman

IG/FB: Poupsmith

AOTY 2023 1st Place* (no salmon, cali limit reduced, stunted rockfish season, etc.)
AOTY 2022 2nd Place
AOTY 2021 5th Place
2019 Outback, 2023 Replacement Hull

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
We can agree to disagree. I’ve got no problem working smarter and not harder when I’m on vacation. I’m on the water to fish and not to paddle. If I wanted to paddle I’d buy a canoe. Same thing goes for peddle. I would buy a bike if that’s was the case.

Hmm, ok. It was a question - I totally support you doing it how best suits or pleases you.

I don’t find the smarter, not harder to apply really. I enjoy (most often except when conditions suddenly get real snotty) the paddling component as a bit different physical activity than the construction work I do, it’s actually therapeutic for me. On top of that, I get to FISH!  :smt003

Looking forward to your posts and experiences.
Joel ><>

Tinker

Try contacting uplandsandpiper on NWKA.  He owns one and enjoys talking about it.  He has a couple of videos that almost convinced me I needed one. 

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
my only beef ...it`s pedal not peddle LOL

I dunno, are you sure?  :smt003 There might just be a thread . . .
Joel ><>

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I knew someone that was interested in them a while back. I watched a video review that was not favorable but I can't find the link. I would watch a lot of review videos before I spent the money.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Tinker

Here's a video by that guy on NWKA where he's using the autopilot as an "anchor".

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 04:10:59 AM by Tinker »

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
The weight,....you’ll have to get real good at weight management for load-in/out. The spot lock is very attractive, as is simply chillin & steering with feet,...perfect trolling rig. Split Milt guy on youtube (sturgeon video above), he’s got a buncha vids using it.

But the part none of the popular video editing youtubers show is the setup/launch & the tear down/landing. I have an Outback, no motor, not much extra stuff on it, and it is a improvisational struggle at every ramp/launch because of the low water situation.
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

curt95658

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
I've had my 120 for 6 months(around 50 trips); don't hesitate it's fantastic.  I enjoy fishing tournaments and a year ago probably 10% were electric, now it's at least 50% and changing fast.  It's heavy but there all heavy.  I switched from an Outback which I loved but will never go back to.  Spot lock is a huge advantage from peddles.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Just throwing out another option. I built this from an old trolling motor yesterday. It only took about 2 hours. It’s an Oldschool Minnkota though…no spotlock haha. The battery is the heaviest part (fortunately I scored a 12v 100ah lithium for free…otherwise I’d be using a 60+ lb group 24 deep cycle 12v battery from my aluminum boat’s trolling motor ha!)
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything