Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 08:46:36 AM]

[Today at 08:45:08 AM]

[Today at 08:01:43 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Prowler 13T questions  (Read 2442 times)

clockwise

• Salmon
  • Lloyd
  • View Profile Youtube channel
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Just picked up a used prowler 13T and have some questions since I'm brand new to kayaks.

-I'd like to mount a rod holder in front of me and the best place seems to be on top of the gunnel on a gear track. Is it okay to use a gear track mounted rod holder for trolling? Also the flat spot on the gunnel is only about 1" wide so it looks like I would need skinny gear tracks such as the yakattack geartracs. Anyone done this before?

-Any recommendations for kayak carts? Scupper hole vs cradle type? For the cradle type would I be better off going with one with a deep V to cradle the front/rear keel?

-Any tips for loading the kayak on top of my suv? When trying to slide it up upside-down, the eyelets and screws get in protrude from the hell and act like speed bumps. If loading the kayak right side up, the bottom of the hull isn't very flat so it would sit tilted against my roof rack. Is it okay to strap the kayak down like this?

Thanks!
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13T (Sold to NCKA member)
Hobie Revolution 13

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6lX2sIkRcM5-qdjlM4aiA

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
if you post some pix of the boat, it'll help.  Top plan + perspective views, with seat installed.

Don't get a scupper cart, espec on a used/older boat. 

for loading ease, get either J cradles (i.e., thule hullaport) or get used to shimmying the eyelets over rack edge.  You'll have to get used to the load rooftop shimmy technique espec if you deck out ur boat.  dont even think about racking it right side up.  The hull surface will easily get an "oil can" dent and you'll be  :smt010

Dom

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I also have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13

For a cart I use a Malone cradle type cart with the big beach wheels that I bought at California Canoe and Kayak in Oakland. It takes a minute or two longer to set up than my friends with the scupper type carts, but I didn't need to worry about finding one that fits exactly into the scuppers and I can use it on multiple kayaks. Works great

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Rack it right side up then flip it.
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
+1 on a beach wheels/non scupper  cart. I use wheelez w/ 30cm? wheels. Highly recommend as they are versatile, fairly light, and quite durable.

For rod holders: I like to keep it minimal/simple as possible, and usually use one rod that I just stick under my leg. If I'm taking a leak, I'll place the rod in one of the built in flush mounts for a few w/clicker.

clockwise

• Salmon
  • Lloyd
Thanks everyone for your replies.

@-, Pretty sure my kayak came pre-oil canned (indentation in the bottom of the middle of the hull, apparently common on these kayaks). I'll definitely have to work on my shimmying technique.

@Dom, thanks I'll go with the cradle type. I'd go to Calkayak today but they're closed!

@mickfish, I may have to try this but at this point I imagine that my kayak would fall off if I did.

@fishemotion, that sounds like something I would do and I probably will at some point. I have no problem with the flush mounts but I just don't want to miss any bites.
Hobie Revolution 13

Tinker

This!  I own two of them and it's the only way to get them up on a rack with minimal cussing.

You don't need a deep "V" cart because you'll want the cart strap(s) somewhere near the seat to keep the cart from sliding off the stern. There's minimal keel in that area.

There are lots of videos on YouTube about "repairing" an oil-canned hull.  I was hunting for an old one posted by Hobie about fixing a deep dent that was slick and quick if it works anywhere nearly as good on an Ocean Kayak, but alas, I couldn't find it again.

Congratulations on finding your kayak.

I FOUND IT:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 07:57:29 AM by Tinker »

clockwise

• Salmon
  • Lloyd

How do you actually do this? I would imagine I would have to make a leash to attach to the far side handle and then pull the kayak towards me to flip it over. BTW my roof rack isn't very wide. It's the factory roof rack on a Mazda cx-5. I've already put some scratches on my roof from loading it upside down  :smt011

There are lots of videos on YouTube about "repairing" an oil-canned hull.

Here's a picture of the dent I was referring to (not my kayak)

And this is what Ocean Kayak says about it (taken from a stripersonline post):

"By looking at the photos that are attached it looks like it is well within our standards. The boat should track fine with this small amount of curve and perform correctly."

I'm not too worried about it to be honest.
Hobie Revolution 13