Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:19:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:24:28 PM]

[Today at 07:49:41 PM]

[Today at 06:24:32 PM]

[Today at 05:15:45 PM]

[Today at 01:44:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Outback or PA  (Read 9312 times)

hitt025

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2021
I can't decide on whether to get the Outback or the PA.  The cost doesn't really matter much and the weight difference isn't an issue.  But which is better for the Bay Area and Ocean for fishing?  Any PA or Outback fishermen, please share your thoughts.  Thanks

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Myself I would say Outback!  The 19 I have has met every fishing need I have thrown at it !
Plus way easier  to transport!
Good Luck  on ur decision!

Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
outback is more than enough boat for everything around here.
2014 Revolution 13 - sold
2015 Pro Angler 12 - sold
2019 Outback - sold
2015 Adventure island

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
For the ocean, definitely Outback.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

hitt025

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Wow, three votes for Hobie Outback.  I like the Outback too but thought maybe the 360 option was enticing.  Thanks for all the feedbacks.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Wow, three votes for Hobie Outback.

Yeah, well Steve and Brian kill it with them, but the PA is kinda like:
 :smt003
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Fishgr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Another for Outback. Got mine this year and it has been a pleasure to fish. I decided on an OB because deck/rail layout, weight and price,...in that order. I’ve been able to set it up perfectly for my fishing needs and it is super easy to maneuver confidently. I do not fish the salt, but quite happy how it performs in large wind chop and deals with power boat wake. You’re gonna have fun with whichever you choose!
Hobie Outback 2021
OK T13

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but do have experience on the 360 flavor ...

If you are navigating tight spots like docks, weeds, lily pads, and sunken stumps then the 360 has an advantage, but only because you have that extra level of maneuverability the motor thrust offers.

Ocean fishing has none of that - as you're threading your way through tramp steamers, squillion dollar yachts, and the Exxon Valdez, whose oil slick is visible many miles away - and therefore not much of the navigational hazard.

I would think the larger boats (greater than 14') would also make a more stable platform for the salt.

I own a PA and love it - except when I have to carry the lead arsed beast into the water or out of it. Builds muscle - and character ... but doesn't help you fishing.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
When I guide people on PA's we have The Talk first - I explain that if their drive fails and wind, current and/or swells keep them from effectively paddling the beast, they may have to anchor it up and hop on my kayak to get back to shore.

Outback = the state of the art for the sport at this point. 

PA is too big.

Good luck~
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

hitt025

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Not a lot of support for the PA.  I see two used Outbacks (2019 and 2020) for sale online.  They come pre-rigged with some nice fish finder, (9” lower ace elite Ti2 & other one comes HELIX 10 G3N Fish Finder), wheel cart, rod holders and other gears.  But they’re $4k and $5k.  I guess with all the accessories they could add up fast.  The question is do I want to buy new and rig every the way I like it or buy it used and just get in the water to fish 😃

DancesWithHooks

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Instinct suggests that if you're spending four of five grand, the resultant boat had better be to your liking, as that's a lot of cheddar to drop to find out you should've bought something else.

You don't need all the bells and whistles to fish, you need the stuff necessary to make you fish safely and efficiently, and the Cappuccino maker with the frothing foam attachment can wait for later.

I bought new and am learning the capabilities of the boat, it's hull and propulsion, before adding anything additional. Each subsystem tends to have its own quirks, and I've found that learning the basics, before buying the fancy stuff, gives additional wisdom and insight .

You don't need an anchor trolley to learn how to rig or free a snagged anchor, you simply need the experience of flipping your craft when you pull too dang hard in frustration.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... Cappuccino maker with the frothing foam attachment can wait for later.

Yes, but the microwave is essential.

Personally, I'd go for new or bare-bones used, as rigging it just the way you like to is part of the fun.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

marin_yaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2019
When I guide people on PA's we have The Talk first - I explain that if their drive fails and wind, current and/or swells keep them from effectively paddling the beast, they may have to anchor it up and hop on my kayak to get back to shore.

Outback = the state of the art for the sport at this point. 

PA is too big.

Good luck~

PA - waaayyy too big and heavy.
Ivory Dune Revo 13 2020

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Outback. But then again I keep threatening to sell my outback and go back to a revo or maybe even a stealth….

In all seriousness the outback works really well for everything. If I were solely a freshwater bass guy and I only launched at nice boat launches I would go with the pro angler. If I only did remote launches in random places I would go revo (strictly talking Hobie here). The outback is a nice middle road. It paddles okay, it’s heavy but somewhat manageable, and you can stand in it.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Not a lot of support for the PA.  I see two used Outbacks (2019 and 2020) for sale online.  They come pre-rigged with some nice fish finder, (9” lower ace elite Ti2 & other one comes HELIX 10 G3N Fish Finder), wheel cart, rod holders and other gears.  But they’re $4k and $5k.  I guess with all the accessories they could add up fast.  The question is do I want to buy new and rig every the way I like it or buy it used and just get in the water to fish 😃
Another thing to consider is can you find a new one...
I was talking to Billy@ WindToys and he can’t keep em in stock, you’ll have to wait for some time till  it’s delivered...
$4-5k is alot of $$$ but addd on’s do add up
Meaning $303 for wheels, $300-500 for fish finder,plus whatever other goodies you add.
The outback does have alot of bells and whistles built in  which is also why I Love it!

Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420