Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:54:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:24:29 PM]

[Today at 12:21:11 PM]

[Today at 11:54:54 AM]

[Today at 10:47:14 AM]

[Today at 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Proposed kayak/paddle board regulations  (Read 5764 times)

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
Statistics don’t bear that out at all.

Ok then, let's talk statistics.

There are 22 million+ paddlesports participants in the US every year,  or about 7.5% of our population, and an average of less than 300 deaths a year.  (Source: USCG) 

By contrast, about 12-13% of the population rides a bicycle, and there were 857 bicyclists killed in traffic incidents in 2018.  Arguably more dangerous.  You don't need a license and mandatory classes to buy a bicycle, because that would be ridiculous.

For reference, 5000 people a year choke to death on food.

"Operator Inattention" is listed as the most common cause of boating accidents in general...does a license make people pay attention? 

Good intentions, but unnecessary legislation.  I'm all for safety, but we don't need a f-ing law for everything. 

https://www.uscgboating.org/library/accident-statistics/Recreational-Boating-Statistics-2019.pdf
https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/bicycle-safety

Agreed..  On the spectrum of fish to fry, this seems like quite an odd choice... A quick easy way to reduce recreation-related injury and death would be just making a bike helmet law in California, Oregon, and Washington...
Not to say that we can't or shouldn't find ways to solve both problems, but big impact minimum investment would be my starting point for "life-saving recreation regulations/requirements".

Am I going to need to take a class before going backpacking this summer? For fear I might not realize I need to bring water, or emergency rain gear?  I can buy all this gear from REI (or Walmart to be frank), the same place I can buy all the kayaking gear id need to get on the water.
We could take classes for any of these things, but why?
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

Engel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
For what it's worth, I think we need to acknowledge that these courses are going to seem like BS to this group. You're all very safety conscience and prepared with knowledge and equipment.

But I've seen some people on the water that put themselves in risky situations. For example, a family of four on one kayak in Rock Creek lake, the toddlers had PFD's but mom and dad didn't, everyone was fully dressed in jeans and sweatshirts. I've seen a group of young ladies out on paddle boards in the middle of Stampede Reservoir with no leashes and no PFD's and the wind chop had started building and forecast to get worse soon. To Crash's point, these are the targets to this type of certification.

Just wait, soon enough we'll all be registering our kayaks with DMV just like a boat.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't life jackets mandatory if you are on the water in a kayak?  I know they are on a boat.  And aren't the vast majority of deaths/drownings due to a person not wearing a life jacket?  Seems like an obvious solution exists but then there is the issue of enforcement.  There just isn't enough personnel patrolling our waterways to enforce the existing laws that already exist so adding a new one wont change a persons behavior.

So any new "fee" is simply a money grab unless the fee is used to directly pay for safety education and enforcement.

as always, just my 2 cents
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007

Am I going to need to take a class before going backpacking this summer? For fear I might not realize I need to bring water, or emergency rain gear?  I can buy all this gear from REI (or Walmart to be frank), the same place I can buy all the kayaking gear id need to get on the water.

You do if you go to Denali.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

To be clear, I'm talking specifically about the PNW and northern California, and it has everything to do with the conditions that can be expected here even in summer.  In that way, there are dangers that need to be covered, just like in Denali.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Custom_concern

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2020
Next is having a license to go swimming.

This whole thread reminds me of this video.  :smt044

2018 - Hobie Compass

Chockersetter

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2020
Lot of deadly junk being sold by "reputable" marketers out there.
People just "want to have fun" but don't know how to do it safely.
Darwinian culling is expensive for everyone and government will screw it up, but there is a need.

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019

You do if you go to Denali.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

To be clear, I'm talking specifically about the PNW and northern California, and it has everything to do with the conditions that can be expected here even in summer.  In that way, there are dangers that need to be covered, just like in Denali.

That's not much of a class.... If they sent every kayak purchaser a youtube link and said "know this before you go out" like your Denali example, sure that's fine. But a requiring me to pay a fee to attend a class is different.  Getting a wilderness permit is a use fee, not a "safety class" fee.

If they start charging use fees for the ocean we have bigger problems, but i guess this is a way around it.

I could build a biodiesel refinery in my garage tomorrow, but if I use my kayak I may have to go to school LOL.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 12:09:06 PM by christianbrat »
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
and we know those at the Capitol in Sacramento and in our County's love just about anything that is called a "use fee" (as long as its not called a tax).  I remember when I could go to Folsom Lake for free and anywhere along the American River.  Now everyone charges a use fee.  Sick of it but I put my $5, $10, $12 etc in the envelope everytime.  One day I will pay with pennies  :smt044
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I would respectfully have to ask for a "grandfather clause" or something.

I'm gonna be super pissed to have to pay $$$ just to prove to some bureaucrat that I actually do have the skills I've spent nearly 30 years studying.

but sadly, I'm not surprised at this.  :smt013 but also  :smt005
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Blobfish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2020
Regulation: PFD onboard, not on you.

At some point you gotta cross the line and say its people's responsibility to be.. well.. responsible for themselves. Info is available everywhere. Can't baby-proof the world and I hope you're not expecting the government to do it.

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Hope it stays in WA and doesn't migrate to CA.  Pessimist in me says CA will adopt.  Of course enforcement would be spotty at best.  CA already has laws requiring having lifejackets on board (I assume that is enforceable).  Forcing a license and safety class on the owner of a kayak is not going to solve the accidental drowning of someone not wearing a lifejacket.  Cyclist are required to wear helmets but there are plenty that choose not to.  No license or safety class required to ride a bike yet they share the some of the same area (the road) as licensed drivers.  Common sense is not something our government should or could try to regulate.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:02:13 AM by DavidMel »
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Regulation: PFD onboard, not on you.

At some point you gotta cross the line and say its people's responsibility to be.. well.. responsible for themselves. Info is available everywhere. Can't baby-proof the world and I hope you're not expecting the government to do it.

+1
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Herefishy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Cyclist are required to wear helmets but there are plenty that choose not to.  No license or safety class required to ride a bike yet they share the some of the same area (the road) as licensed drivers.  Common sense is not something our government should or could try to regulate.

Bicycle Helmet use is mandatory only 18 and under.  At majority age, the law prioritizes choice over forced utilization of safety gear.  The age related helmet statute is not directed at common sense so much as protection of still-developing brains and bodies.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=21212.&lawCode=VEH

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Cyclist are required to wear helmets but there are plenty that choose not to.  No license or safety class required to ride a bike yet they share the some of the same area (the road) as licensed drivers.  Common sense is not something our government should or could try to regulate.

Bicycle Helmet use is mandatory only 18 and under.  At majority age, the law prioritizes choice over forced utilization of safety gear.  The age related helmet statute is not directed at common sense so much as protection of still-developing brains and bodies.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?sectionNum=21212.&lawCode=VEH

Thank you for pointing this out. 
David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

anything