Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:48:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 06, 2024, 11:06:21 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 08:12:02 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 11:04:28 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 01:30:36 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:50:56 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:03:44 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 09:10:35 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:34:21 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Where to buy a PA 14?  (Read 1913 times)

Joey95758

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2019
Ive narrowed my search down to a PA14. Ive called quite a few stores all over the state. All of them quote the same price. I asked a few if they would be willing to discount to earn my business. All said no. I’m paying all cash and I know that sometimes can make them more negotiable, but that doesn’t seem to help either.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thank you.

Herb Superb

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
We’re you trying to buy a brand new one? They rarely discounts Hobies, unless they’re moving older (a year older or so) models. I see PAs posted in the classifieds from time to time, unless you’re set on a new one. But you need to up your posts in order to view the classifieds section.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I think Hobie dealers are locked into the MSRP from the manufacturer in order to protect dealer territories.  What dealers can do is sweeten the pot by throwing in stuff.  I had maybe $300 in extras thrown in when I bought mine. 

Joey95758

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Would prefer new, or at least 2017 or newer. I have seen some in the classifieds. All the used ones I’ve seen locally have been 2014 models.

I’ve found a couple new 2018 models, but they’re only $200 less than the 2019s.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I think Hobie dealers are locked into the MSRP from the manufacturer in order to protect dealer territories.  What dealers can do is sweeten the pot by throwing in stuff.  I had maybe $300 in extras thrown in when I bought mine.

This! I don't think you'll ever see a discount on a new Hobie. It's so extreme that online stores (like ACK) have to charge shipping, even when offering free shipping on everything else under the sun.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Coachie

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
Not sure where you're located, but Headwaters Kayak will be at the Redding Sportsmans Expo, and they said they would have discounts on Hobie on their FB page. Wouldn't say how much though, it's against Hobie policy to advertise a sale.

FYI, I'm not affiliated in any way with HWK, I just purchased a SG110 from them and follow on FB.

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Talk to Dan at headwaters in Lodi! He supports NCKA and often goes out of his way to help folks out to buy a kayak and be happy with the price.. Also look at some of the other pedal kayaks.  So many good options in different price ranges... Adventure sports in Sacramento would be another place to go... They also do a lot for NCKA... I always walk in waving cash around, you'll get the best deals as you head toward the door cash still in hand. :smt044
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I think there is a dealer in Colfax, CA for Hobie as well... and I can't say for certain but I believe they well let you test drive a Hobie.

I bought my kayak at Headwaters in Lodi last year at paddlefest, and that is my only association I have with them.  Dan and his entire team are great.  They know their stuff and I never felt any pressure from anyone there.  If you can wait for paddlefest to pull the trigger and you will get the chance to paddle and pedal everything they have available.

David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

SmokeOnTheWater

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2011
If you don't mind used, I'd definitely check the classifieds like Herb Superb mentioned as they pop up on here.  Until a couple days ago, there was pretty decent deal on a 2016 and 2017, but both sold. 
If you ain't first, you're last.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
My .02 is that you should look for a local shop that you like and give them your business. You are likely to get discounted or free items with your purchase and if you ever have a problem with your purchase you can pop into the local shop. Most likely they will prioritize your issue if you bought it from them.

That being said I’ve had a few interactions with headwaters in Lodi specifically Dan and they run a top notch operation. They are nowhere near me so I have never purchased a kayak from them, but have gone to their demo days.

And as the saying goes “money talks” so you might get a better response in person at a shop as opposed to cold calling asking for a discounted kayak. I’ve never worked at a kayak shop but I assume they get that call pretty often from people who aren’t very serious about buying.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

Joey95758

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Thank you everyone. Headwaters was very helpful and I paid to demo a titan. I called their sister store in Redding, they were nice to speak to as well. I ended up liking the Hobie over the titan, or I would have definitely purchased one from Dan and Bill in Lodi.

I ended up finding a 2018 PA 14 at kayak city. I did as you suggested and went in person with a stack of cash. They gave me a pretty sizable discount on a floor model and threw in the stand up bar. Can’t wait to take it out this weekend and enjoy my Saturday fishing.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice.