Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 09:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:08:11 AM]

[Today at 08:45:06 AM]

[Today at 08:31:45 AM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:47:48 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:16:05 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 07:01:31 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 06:05:56 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 01:56:07 PM]

[April 29, 2024, 09:11:17 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:31:45 PM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:28:43 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 08:05:07 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: California Boater Card  (Read 449 times)

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
It is required for motorized boat operator this year if you're 60 years of age or younger.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

pasha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
Just got mine in the mail last week :)

Now I need to get a boat 🤔
2020 Hobie Outback "Kai-eL"
2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 "Kai"

IG: pash_spice

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Just got mine in the mail last week :)

Now I need to get a boat 🤔

Nice! I just mailed my test in, should get mine any day now.

Totally didn't realize I needed this until I saw something on the DMV website, but glad it was never an issue.  I do run a pretty low profile tho - 13' tinny with a 10hp Honda, not exactly an attention getter, haha.

- Kevin

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Note: You do not need this card for a motorized kayak.

"California law requires a person to be 16 years of age or older and in possession of his/her California Boater Card to legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including personal watercraft (PWCs)."

My Trolling motor is 36lb thrust. Nowhere near 15HP.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006

"California law requires a person to be 16 years of age or older and in possession of his/her California Boater Card to legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including personal watercraft (PWCs)."

Thanks for the clarification PnJ.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

While I don't think non-motorzied kayaks need a boater card, I read this a little differently.  That specific paragraph I read as someone under 16 cannot take a boat of more than 15hp out unsupervised, regardless of boater card status.  Kids 12-15 can operate a boat under the supervision of an adult with the boater card, while 16+ need the boater card to operate a boat.

Seems like ALL motorized vessels require an operator with the boater card, except in a few circumstances. Rental boat, someone with mariner certs, etc. I emailed and asked if I needed one for my 10hp tinny, and they said I did, so I got one.  The answer I got: "All operators of motorized vessels, documented and undocumented, will need to have a California Boater Card to operate on state waterways."

By documented they mean a vessel federally registered with USCG, and undocumented is a state registered vessel with CF numbers.

I did not ask specifically about kayaks, but I would be very surprised if an officer gave someone a hard time about a kayak with a trolling motor.

Most of the questions on the rest were about operating boats under the influence and safe operating speeds. Basically, seemed like the nature of it was to reduce collisions and groundings.
- Kevin

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

While I don't think non-motorzied kayaks need a boater card, I read this a little differently.  That specific paragraph I read as someone under 16 cannot take a boat of more than 15hp out unsupervised, regardless of boater card status.  Kids 12-15 can operate a boat under the supervision of an adult with the boater card, while 16+ need the boater card to operate a boat.

Seems like ALL motorized vessels require an operator with the boater card, except in a few circumstances. Rental boat, someone with mariner certs, etc. I emailed and asked if I needed one for my 10hp tinny, and they said I did, so I got one.  The answer I got: "All operators of motorized vessels, documented and undocumented, will need to have a California Boater Card to operate on state waterways."

By documented they mean a vessel federally registered with USCG, and undocumented is a state registered vessel with CF numbers.

I did not ask specifically about kayaks, but I would be very surprised if an officer gave someone a hard time about a kayak with a trolling motor.

Most of the questions on the test were about operating boats under the influence and safe operating speeds. Basically, seemed like the nature of it was to reduce collisions and groundings.
- Kevin

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
Speedy, I read the same paragraph and understood the same as you.  As it was pertaining someone under the age of 16. 

Anyhow, it didnt take much effort, only costed me $27 and about 2 hours of my time.  Test was easy and got an immediate PDF temp card until the hard copy arrives.

anything