Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:17:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:16:45 PM]

[Today at 08:24:53 PM]

[Today at 03:01:59 PM]

[Today at 01:55:25 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Realistic immersion gear advice (waders vs wetsuit vs drysuit)  (Read 9984 times)

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Drysuits have plenty of drawbacks, as bluekayak mentioned.  They don't stay "dry" forever - a small hole or worn gasket will let water in, and then you're unprotected.  Also, and this is a big deal that not enough people focus on, even a totally pristine, waterproof drysuit lacks the insulation to keep you warm.  Without proper underlayering, which can be expensive itself, you will be subject to hypothermia for sure.  I've seen it happen.

I've had two drysuits that I wore over the years, but I wore a farmerjohn wetsuit underneath - either 3 mil or 6 mil.  Once the drysuits got holes in them from handling so many fish and so much tackle, it was apparent that they weren't going to keep water out, and that was a good realization because it made me focus on actually having immersion wear that would keep me alive if I ended up in the water for an extended period of time.  We all need to figure we'll eventually be in the water for an extended period of time.  The ocean was 48 degrees along the coast here in the late spring, and even mid 50's in the summer can take you out quickly. 

A guy at Shelter Cove made a big mistake and paddled right to the point to fish on one foggy day this past summer.  The swells got him, because no one fishes at the point, and he ended up on top of one of the exposed rocks.  He had hypothermia so bad that he passed out and almost died - is what we were hearing on the VHF.  He was in a drysuit, and I'll bet that even if it didn't have any holes in it before he ended up on that rock, it did after his ordeal.

As for lifetime warranties, buyer beware.  I returned both of my drysuits to Kokatat to see if they could be worked on - one had the "delamination" that we often hear about, where layers come apart and water gets in between, but Kokatat told me quite bluntly that both suits were worn out and that I had no recourse.  So be it - I accepted it.  Told them I need to come get them, and they said it would be up to a week before I could pick them up.  WTF?  I needed to use them.  I wasn't impressed.

A few years later I did a photo shoot with Kokatat where they put me in some paddling pants (my wetsuit underneath), a paddling jacket and a "Leviathan" PFD.  I got to keep that gear - $500 worth - and I still use it.  Blood, fish spines and hooks have worn it all very well - nothing lasts forever, especially with all the blood exposure.

I wear swim trunks and a rashguard top, a 1 mil full body liner that I got at Costco years ago, thick synthetic socks, a 3 mil or 6 mil FJ depending on the day, the paddling pants, paddling jacket and PFD - plus hat, buff and big boots like Boggs (Kamik is my current boot choice).  Some days I get a bit warm, but I'm working out there and can tolerate a bit of discomfort or less than optimal warmth.

The best way to find out what will work for you is to get in the water for an extended period of time with the gear that you think will work for you - in a controlled situation, of course.

Best of luck~
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
This topic surfaces fairly often and the consensus from NCKA has generally remained the same that good immersion gear is very necessary in this sport, especially when talking about the ocean.  On a lake you can die just as easily especially in the winter months.  But people judge the risk to be acceptable and wear what is comfortable instead of what might save them if they actually go in the water.  Most of the time this is fine, it's that one time that it isn't that can cost you your life.  People make these decisions all the time based on the weather and adjust their risk accordingly, believing they have control over the situation.  But being prepared for the worst situation is going to do you a lot more good in the sport of kayak fishing.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Waders should be against the law

Most of the people here like drysuits which are probably great as long as you don’t have to swim any distance or in rough conditions

For a short spell I worked in a drysuit and switched back to my wetsuit for a few reasons, the most relevant here would be about swimming. Drysuits are nice as long as you’re dry but a lot more awkward to swim in

On any given weekend I swim anywhere from 2-6 hours a day doing surf video, wetsuit especially in rough conditions is the only way to go

Odds that you’ll end up swimming might seem slim but it happens

As always just an opinion

Heard a surfer was attacked up your way
^^^ This ^^^  Why chance it?  When you hit the water, your survival rate diminishes.   Why do you want to lower that rate?  Drysuit is probably the best option, but it is expensive and you have other option.  A wetsuit with water resistant jacket is going to do fine for most folks.

If I am the beneficiary of your life insurance and I hate you, I would say go use the wader.  But if you insist using the wader, do me a favor.  Go dip yourself in a 3 feet of water for 3 minutes, in a surf to add more fun,  then you can make your decision after.
Fishing is a bonus, going home should always be the goal. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:41:05 AM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
As for lifetime warranties, buyer beware.  I returned both of my drysuits to Kokatat to see if they could be worked on - one had the "delamination" that we often hear about, where layers come apart and water gets in between, but Kokatat told me quite bluntly that both suits were worn out and that I had no recourse.  So be it - I accepted it.  Told them I need to come get them, and they said it would be up to a week before I could pick them up.  WTF?  I needed to use them.  I wasn't impressed.

That's surprising to hear, as my experience with Kokatat has been incredibly positive.

I bought a drysuit that had their "switchzip technology", meaning that it zipped around the middle and you could literally separate it into 2 parts. After a year, I sent it in for routine maintenance, and they detected some issue with that (expensive) zipper. So, they replaced the zipper at no charge. The next year, I sent it in again for routine maintenance, and they said it was delaminated. I'd had a mold issue with it, due to the stupid way I stored it over winter, and I figured that was the cause, and that I'd have to pay for a new one. But, to my surprise, they replaced it for free (including some customization to the booties). In fact, since they no longer sold the particular model I had owned, they sent me a new drysuit that sells for $500 more than I'd paid for the original...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
An interesting thread with a lot of good opinions from experienced kayak anglers.  A lot of the people who replied favor wet suits. However, if you searched the Northwest Kayak Anglers forum, I think you'd find that almost all the kayak anglers favor drysuits.  I'm from Montana, and I definitely favor drysuits.  A drysuit lets me kayak in comfort and relative safety even in water temperatures only slightly above freezing and air temperatures below freezing, and in windy, rainy, and/or snowy conditions. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:04:44 PM by pmmpete »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Big difference in your circumstances there

A lot to be unpacked here like what’s good dry might not be so great wet especially in winter. Seems like there’s a disconnect in thinking

Here if you wear a drysuit with enough underneath to keep you warm in the water, you’ll cook paddling or pedaling a kayak. If you wear what’s comfortable sitting on a kayak it probably won’t do much for you if you’re in cold water any length of time

If I was where you are in snowy conditions I might go drysuit but only if I couldn’t find a warm enough wetsuit

The underwear that came with my DUI commercial drysuit is about an inch thick and when I wore it in winter water which is basically sierra runoff at 3 a.m. sf bay, it was fine. Any other time I was cooking even in the water. I have two sets of drysuit underwear and both were too hot

My wetsuit at the time was hot even in icy cold water. I used it in water with ice drifts like in snowy spots like in your pics and was still too warm

At the moment I’m using a pretty nice wetsuit but it’s nothing like my old custom suits. Any given day im swimming 3-6 hours while my son surfs, spring break we did two days 10-12 hours

My current suit is ok but at about hour three I’m feeling it. This weekend I might try a layer under it with a hoodie If that doesn’t do it I have to upgrade to a warmer suit

Ive been using 4/3 which is barely enough in winter. In winter water temp has gotten below 52 degrees and Im swimming not surfing

A lot comes down to your cold water tolerance

Long way round to saying what’s good sitting on a kayak probably isn’t enough for a cold water swim
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 03:50:37 PM by bluekayak »

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
I wore a 3/2 NRS farmer John for years with no top or sometimes a windbreaker and swam too many times to count

Paddling mileage on a kayak you can overheat pretty fast and cold water has a way of motivating you to get back on your yak

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
An interesting thread with a lot of good opinions from experienced kayak anglers.  A lot of the people who replied favor wet suits. However, if you searched the Northwest Kayak Anglers forum, I think you'd find that almost all the kayak anglers favor drysuits.  I'm from Montana, and I definitely favor drysuits.  A drysuit lets me kayak in comfort and relative safety even in water temperatures only slightly above freezing and air temperatures below freezing, and in windy, rainy, and/or snowy conditions.
Nice pics. Thanks for posting

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

That's surprising to hear, as my experience with Kokatat has been incredibly positive.

I bought a drysuit that had their "switchzip technology", meaning that it zipped around the middle and you could literally separate it into 2 parts. After a year, I sent it in for routine maintenance, and they detected some issue with that (expensive) zipper. So, they replaced the zipper at no charge. The next year, I sent it in again for routine maintenance, and they said it was delaminated. I'd had a mold issue with it, due to the stupid way I stored it over winter, and I figured that was the cause, and that I'd have to pay for a new one. But, to my surprise, they replaced it for free (including some customization to the booties). In fact, since they no longer sold the particular model I had owned, they sent me a new drysuit that sells for $500 more than I'd paid for the original...

Kokatat has treated me very well through the years. One time I sent my old heavily used Tempest pants for leak repair.  To my delight I was offered a brand new one at no cost. I worked a deal and paid extra for bibs. When I sent the bibs in for leak repair and I when I got them back it was still leaking, their customer service offered me 50% off goretex sock replacement. Which I said yes to.

Here's report where the rescuee was wearing a drysuit and the proper layers. He was in 55 degree water for over an hour and came out OK.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=85449.0

Personally I prefer angler drysuits.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 09:51:32 PM by FishingAddict »
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019
Wet suits. Safety first.
HOWEVER - this season we launched in bad conditions and had to get in up to above the knees. Navigating rocks and trying to time the launch, I was in water long enough. I was wet but not cold. However, as the day progressed, wind made me do super cold (and I had a neoprene jacket over my neoprene shirt). I’m sure I was in some early hypothermia stage when I landed.
I would need a thicker farmer John suit.

Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

Sea-bree

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
if you have a play it again sports in your area, it may be worth calling them to see if they have any wetsuits (or drysuits) in their inventory. I recently found a brand new NRS farmer John for under $30 at my concord PIAS.

The used wetsuits they had came in varying stages of wear/tear. If you consider buying something that is actually second hand (lots of their stuff is actually new/never used) you will obviously want to give it a thorough inspection to ensure it is in good enough shape to work effectively.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 02:12:02 PM by Sea-bree »
With gratitude and humility

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
I haven't been out in a few years, but, did allot of trial and error from 3mil to 7mil to jacket no jacket etc. I settled on a nice 5mil FJ and added a relief zipper, added a super stretchy 2mil long sleeve jacket. A wet wetsuit in the wind can get cold so I have a lightwt pair of gortex splash pants and a run of the mil splash jacket for wind chill. Always wore the gortex pants, normally didn't wear the splash jacket. In the end actually not much cheaper than a drysuit but I like the 100% reliability I get from a wetsuit, and as a diver before a yakker I was used to wearing one all day. 

Sprmario

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
if you have a play it again sports in your area, it may be worth calling them to see if they have any wetsuits (or drysuits) in their inventory. I recently found a brand new NRS farmer John for under $30 at my concord PIAS.

The used wetsuits they had came in varying stages of wear/tear. If you consider buying something that is actually second hand (lots of their stuff is actually new/never used) you will obviously want to give it a thorough inspection to ensure it is in good enough shape to work effectively.

Nice snag, I don't have one nearby but I will be stalking facebook and looking for deals in the local stores when the season ends.

Tinker

I live up here in Oregon and I own both a Kokatat Hydrus 3L Angler's dry suit and a wetsuit.  I rarely use the dry suit because, for all their good points, they're still a one-person portable sauna - and a dry suit you've unzipped to prevent heatstroke isn't protecting anything if you end up in the water.

I found splashing water on the drysuit has a minimal cooling effect because of the base layers you must wear underneath it.  That's where the warmth originates, and if the base layers don't continue to keep you warm with water splashed on the outer dry suit, you aren't going to survive in the ocean for long.

Also, consider that even the highest quality multi-layer Gore-Tex material will leak if there's sufficient pressure differential - like getting caught in a sudden squall can create.  They aren't totally waterproof, they're only waterproof to a point, after which they're a micro colander.  I have personal experience with that phenomenon.

Yes, a lot of us on NWKA espouse using a dry suit, but here on NCKA, members went batshit crazy over Eddyline kayaks and a lot of others followed (and for a while, it was Santa Cruz kayaks).  A trend doesn't make it the best idea.

To correct one statement, above, neoprene is a closed cell foam and water cannot permeate the material to any significant depth.  But also note is that a wetted wetsuit in moving air acts like an evaporative cooler, so water-repellant outer layers are a Really Good Idea on cool, windy days.

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I live up here in Oregon and I own both a Kokatat Hydrus 3L Angler's dry suit and a wetsuit.  I rarely use the dry suit because, for all their good points, they're still a one-person portable sauna - and a dry suit you've unzipped to prevent heatstroke isn't protecting anything if you end up in the water.

I found splashing water on the drysuit has a minimal cooling effect because of the base layers you must wear underneath it.  That's where the warmth originates, and if the base layers don't continue to keep you warm with water splashed on the outer dry suit, you aren't going to survive in the ocean for long.

Also, consider that even the highest quality multi-layer Gore-Tex material will leak if there's sufficient pressure differential - like getting caught in a sudden squall can create.  They aren't totally waterproof, they're only waterproof to a point, after which they're a micro colander.  I have personal experience with that phenomenon.

Yes, a lot of us on NWKA espouse using a dry suit, but here on NCKA, members went batshit crazy over Eddyline kayaks and a lot of others followed (and for a while, it was Santa Cruz kayaks).  A trend doesn't make it the best idea.

To correct one statement, above, neoprene is a closed cell foam and water cannot permeate the material to any significant depth.  But also note is that a wetted wetsuit in moving air acts like an evaporative cooler, so water-repellant outer layers are a Really Good Idea on cool, windy days.
Dry suits really do keep you dry.  I have spent many 4-6 hour days snorkeling and speargunning in a dry suit, and my clothing stays dry underneath it.  A dry suit makes outstanding rain gear; I have spent many days whitewater kayaking and kayak fishing in a steady rain and wind, and my clothing stays dry under the dry suit. And I have spent many days whitewater kayaking in a dry suit, getting hit by heavy breaking waves and blasting through holes, and my clothing stays dry under the dry suit. On multi-day whitewater kayak trips, I wear the same clothing on and off the river, knowing that I can rely on my dry suit to keep the clothing dry while running whitewater during the day.  A dry suit makes it unnecessary for me to carry a complete set of on-shore clothing inside my kayak, and makes it unnecessary for me to dry out my on-river clothing at night, which in cool and rainy weather can be difficult to do.

I know how much clothing I have to wear under a dry suit to stay comfortable for hours in the water at various water temperatures, such as in the lower 50s.  But to stay comfortable and relatively safe in a dry suit when kayak fishing, you need to compromise.  Because I hope to stay in my kayak and not end up in the water, I usually wear enough clothing under my dry suit to stay comfortable while fishing after checking weather predictions for the anticipated air temperature, wind, and precipitation, which is usually not enough clothing for me to stay comfortable for an extended stay in the water, but is enough clothing to keep me relatively warm for a couple minutes while I right my kayak and climb back onto it.  If I expect the air temperature to be cool in the morning and warmer in the afternoon, I'll wear an appropriate amount of clothing under my dry suit so I won't overheat in the afternoon, will wear a parka or a pile jacket over my dry suit in the morning to stay warm, and will take off the over-layers as the air temperature increases later in the day.  Putting on and taking off a pile hat or balaclava is a good way to adjust your comfort for changes in the air temperature or wind speed during the day; I wear them under my sun hat or waterproof rain hat.

Here's a couple pictures from a four-day 116-mile whitewater kayak trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, launching on Marsh Creek, where we paddled through snow on the shore, and sometimes falling snow, for the first day and a half.  I wore the same clothing on the river under my dry suit, and off the river in camp and while hiking, and my dry suit kept the clothing dry.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 06:59:20 AM by pmmpete »