Kayak Zone > Kayaks

Can I test kayak fishing with my whitewater kayak inside the SF bay?

(1/7) > >>

bluestar:
I am very curious about kayak fishing.  Since I already have a whitewater kayak, I'd like to give it a try with that.

I will be fishing at Alameda rockwall, the fishing ground is only about 100 yards from launch dock.  Do you think I'll be OK?  Is there any potential problem?

Bill:
The potential problems are far too numerous to list in one post :-) The Rockwall can have some mean tidal swings and the water is still pretty cold. Maybe try a lake first? Del-Valle might be a good place to go first time.

LoletaEric:
It doesn't seem like hanging out on a whitewater kayak will be very similar to the fishing that we're doing - stability, room to work, ease of movement on the water, ease of movement on the boat...  If you are curious about kayak fishing I'd demo a boat meant for it first.

Good luck - have fun!  Don't forget to report and try to get some pics.   :smt001

bluestar:

--- Quote from: Abking on June 23, 2008, 08:47:23 AM ---It doesn't seem like hanging out on a whitewater kayak will be very similar to the fishing that we're doing - stability, room to work, ease of movement on the water, ease of movement on the boat...  If you are curious about kayak fishing I'd demo a boat meant for it first.

Good luck - have fun!  Don't forget to report and try to get some pics.   :smt001

--- End quote ---

hehe maybe someone else will do the reporting  :smt002

I will only pick a day when water surface is flat like a mirror to go out.  But one concern I do share is the stability issue.  There have been times when I hook a halibut or a 70 lb bat ray, and had to pull with all the force I have.  Should the line breaks I'm not sure if the kayak will roll over.  Do you think a Hawaiian "side car" attachment will help?  Maybe on both sides?

LoletaEric:
Where does the hali go if you land it on the whitewater kayak?  Where's your net go?  Rod?  Tackle?

And...  flat like a mirror can turn into windy and choppy as hell in like 30 seconds!

I don't know that anyone's going to encourage you to attach anything to your whitewater kayak to make it a fishing kayak, but I could be wrong!

I've got a basic SOT fishing kayak you can borrow!   :smt001

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version