Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 10:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:45:32 AM]

[Today at 10:42:39 AM]

[Today at 10:21:59 AM]

[Today at 10:03:44 AM]

[Today at 09:10:35 AM]

[Today at 08:57:25 AM]

[Today at 08:10:12 AM]

[Today at 08:03:37 AM]

[Today at 06:34:21 AM]

[Today at 02:42:39 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 10:50:54 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:32:14 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 06:25:48 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 05:21:33 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 02:41:39 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 09:54:38 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 08:22:51 AM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Poll

What color is your primary fishing kayak?

yellow
26 (29.2%)
blue
9 (10.1%)
red
7 (7.9%)
green
7 (7.9%)
white
7 (7.9%)
grey
9 (10.1%)
neon green
2 (2.2%)
mango
8 (9%)
pink
2 (2.2%)
other - please specify
12 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Topic: Is Kayak color a motivating factor for the Landlord collecting the rent? (poll)  (Read 13918 times)

Abdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Does anyone even know if sharks can see colors?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/01/110119-sharks-color-blind-eyes-rods-cones-australia-animals-science/

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/01/are-yellow-loving-sharks-colou.html

So why their apparent attraction to yellow? Hart told Australian broadcaster ABC that it was unlikely to be a preference for the colour as such. Sharks "were probably attracted to [yellow] because it would have had a very high contrast against the surrounding water".

Makes sense if they are.
Ocean Kayak Pro Staff
Johnson Outdoors

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Quote from: ravensblack on July 08, 2012, 04:14:02 pm
As long as Im not killed or my leg torn off. It would be pretty darn exciting. Dont you think?

Yes and No

To me catching a BIG LING is exciting enough 

Yes
To me catching that dream WSB, Pacific Hali or Salmon would be more exciting. The shark attack was over in moments. A big fish would tow you around for half a hour, evade the net or gaff, and maybe go ballistic in your lap. The shark is something that happens to you, not something you accomplish.

It was kind of peaceful paddling back, I wasn't that worried cause the chances of the shark still being hungry for yellow plastic were pretty low. I have been tenser trying to break out of the cove at Albion tourneys than I was last Saturday.

Giving police reports and evading the press, not so exciting.  Although a trip to New York with all the perks to tell the story on GMA or the Today Show, that would be exciting. --- however it's not my story to tell.
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

LilRiverMan

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Sharks "were probably attracted to [yellow] because it would have had a very high contrast against the surrounding water".

If you are looking up with yellowish - white sunlight coming down, wouldn't it be harder to see a yellow yak versus a darker yak ??
Winner, 2012 Fisherman's Warehouse, Tiki Lagoon - Stripers.

Proud paddler - Pay it Forward Paddle 2010 / 2011 / 2012 / 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018

In the game of biggest fish, if you can't enjoy routinely gettin' your ass handed to you, by great fishermen, then you don't belong in the NCKA.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

nudling

• Sea Lion
  • I tend to drift when I fish
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
rockcrab62 on PFIC (translates to Rick on NCKA?) posted this:

I primarily freedive and spearfish, so looking up towards the surface, it's pretty much impossible to determine the color of a diver's suit or a kayak (depending on conditions). In 20 foot visibility from 15-20 feet down, for example, the object on the surface appears black, because it's not translucent. At even deeper depths and in poor visibility, it can be impossible to even see the outline.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=15432&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've never done it before and it makes sense.
hobie24 hobie08 rip

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Even in clear water, it's hard to see the color of the kayak from underneath and sharks in general don't have good eye sight.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

Rick

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
rockcrab62 on PFIC (translates to Rick on NCKA?) posted this:

I primarily freedive and spearfish, so looking up towards the surface, it's pretty much impossible to determine the color of a diver's suit or a kayak (depending on conditions). In 20 foot visibility from 15-20 feet down, for example, the object on the surface appears black, because it's not translucent. At even deeper depths and in poor visibility, it can be impossible to even see the outline.

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=15432&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've never done it before and it makes sense.

Indeed. I was gonna post on here, but Art said something similar in this very thread a while back, so I didn't feel the need to reiterate.

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 08:46:20 PM by Bird »

Ad

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
I highly doubt a shark can determine what color the bottom of your kayak is when he's preparing to attack from that deep.

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
I highly doubt a shark can determine what color the bottom of your kayak is when he's preparing to attack from that deep.
Just because he attacks from the depths dosen't mean he hasn't checked you out from a few differant angles
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
The girls are the big ones.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

casey7

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Better article than most....  seems to me he was fishing the forum for words, thoughts, ideas, etc... prior to writing the article.

sharky

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile monkeyfacenews
  • Date Registered: May 2007
As long as Im not killed or my leg torn off. It would be pretty darn exciting. Dont you think?
You dont need to have your leg ripped off to be disabled and in pain for the rest of your life. Ask me, I know. Nearly cost me an arn and a leg.
Exciting NOT in a good way.

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Can I build a defense weapons incase a shark comes at me? I'm thinking broom stick with a long point spike at the end.  I noticed that guy in yellow was using a stake out pole? But it was just a pole which may have just pissed of the shark more.
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

anything