Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 02:34:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 16, 2024, 10:00:02 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:49:10 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:43:30 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:22:56 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 06:11:52 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 03:34:10 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 01:53:39 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 01:08:35 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 12:49:26 PM]

[May 16, 2024, 11:15:30 AM]

[May 16, 2024, 08:36:32 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 01:14:38 PM]

by Clb
[May 15, 2024, 08:47:12 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:16:45 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 08:06:54 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 07:51:28 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 06:29:49 AM]

[May 15, 2024, 04:58:26 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 10:06:14 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 03:38:07 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Eddyline Caribbean Durability  (Read 2353 times)

Dirk Dangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
Hi all,

I made a post a few days back asking about a light, compact kayak to replace my Malibu Mini-X. I got a lot of folks recommending the Eddyline 109. It does look like a really slick little boat, and the weight is pretty impossible to beat.
My biggest reservation right now is about the toughness of the hull: I realize that the Eddyline is not going to be able to take the beating of a traditional rotomolded hull like my Malibu, and I will mostly be using this new boat to launch from the surf, sometimes in quite rocky areas. So, just how fragile is the Eddyline? Is it completely unsuitable for this application, or am I being paranoid?
Thanks for your advice!

Isaac

Dirk Dangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
The only answer I can offer is this , I doubt that it was designed for what your describing, no hull really is , some obviously will take a beating better than others .

I’ve never launched my C-14 in what conditions your writing about, some rocks / rocky shoreline but not without a good or at least a fair launch and landing area due to the fact I never hit remote spots.

On a regular surf launch the Eddy’s awesome, moves fast through a set and takes a swell really well.

For reference , the rockiest spot I launched with my Eddy is Gerstle Cove up at Salt Point.

IDK .. hope this helped , hopefully someone else with more info will chime in.

Thanks for the info Spiffy. I have been to Gerstle and to Stump. Definitely rocky at Gerstle! But a pretty controlled launch/recovery environment.

Anyone else have experience with this boat?

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
The only answer I can offer is this , I doubt that it was designed for what your describing, no hull really is , some obviously will take a beating better than others .

I’ve never launched my C-14 in what conditions your writing about, some rocks / rocky shoreline but not without a good or at least a fair launch and landing area due to the fact I never hit remote spots.

On a regular surf launch the Eddy’s awesome, moves fast through a set and takes a swell really well.

For reference , the rockiest spot I launched with my Eddy is Gerstle Cove up at Salt Point.

Thanks for the info Spiffy. I have been to Gerstle and to Stump. Definitely rocky at Gerstle! But a pretty controlled launch/recovery environment.

I just picked up Spiffy's Eddyline and I've fished it 3 times so take this for what it's worth. My criteria were similar to yours - I wanted something light to make approaches to remote launches easier, but I also wanted something faster and more efficient for long paddles. I would be hesitant to fish Gerstle with the Eddyline solo. I would probably carry it in one hand and use the other hand for balance, take a step, set it down for balance, take another step, etc. I can carry it with one hand, or overhead with two hands over easier terrain, but on the slimy bowling balls at Gerstle, I'm just not that agile. I didn't hesitate to drag my Trident, as you can see from the bottom scratches in that thread, but I would never do that with the Eddyline. I wouldn't try at a launch where you are dealing with both rocks and swell, at least until I have a better feel for its durability.

nando

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2020

I just picked up Spiffy's Eddyline and I've fished it 3 times so take this for what it's worth. My criteria were similar to yours - I wanted something light to make approaches to remote launches easier, but I also wanted something faster and more efficient for long paddles. I would be hesitant to fish Gerstle with the Eddyline solo. I would probably carry it in one hand and use the other hand for balance, take a step, set it down for balance, take another step, etc. I can carry it with one hand, or overhead with two hands over easier terrain, but on the slimy bowling balls at Gerstle, I'm just not that agile. I didn't hesitate to drag my Trident, as you can see from the bottom scratches in that thread, but I would never do that with the Eddyline. I wouldn't try at a launch where you are dealing with both rocks and swell, at least until I have a better feel for its durability.

The bowling balls at gerstle dude.....ate it so many times that day  :smt044

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I’ve fished Gerstle in that kayak more than any spot , In fact my last trip pre back surgery was the weekend before the closing in Dec 2018 , solo launch too . :smt044

I want my money back. :smt044

Well now I'm going to have to give it a shot. But it's easier now, that big tree washed down the beach, and someone built a ramp so you can lower the yak down with a rope.

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile

The thing that pisses me off is that, the first time, I ate shit, ok, that's to be expected. Second time, I knew what to expect, and still ate it. Third time, etc. There must be some strategy for dealing with that stuff but I just haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: I bet the strategy is to land at high tide so all the slime is underwater. Unlike Bolinas, where landing at high tide is definitely NOT the strategy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:50:22 PM by FeoPronk »

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile

The thing that pisses me off is that, the first time, I ate shit, ok, that's to be expected. Second time, I knew what to expect, and still ate it. Third time, etc. There must be some strategy for dealing with that stuff but I just haven't figured it out yet.

Edit: I bet the strategy is to land at high tide so all the slime is underwater. Unlike Bolinas, where landing at high tide is definitely NOT the strategy.

That money is spent ona tuna charter LOL

That’s where I popped my kayak cherry

Only had 1 bad landing  5-6 years of kayak fishing there , ironically on my old OK T-13

I stay out and watch the sets as the come into the cove

I’ve waited what may have been 10 mins once

Or just lucky

Oh, the problem was never with the waves, it was walking across the 10 feet of slimy rocks without slipping and busting my ass!

WillFo

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Yeah, sorry Dirk, I forgot the subject was "Eddyline Caribbean Durability" and not "Old Farts Shooting the Shit". At least we're keeping your thread at the top.

Dirk Dangler

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Yeah, sorry Dirk, I forgot the subject was "Eddyline Caribbean Durability" and not "Old Farts Shooting the Shit". At least we're keeping your thread at the top.

You're good man, I'm laughing along! I know those slippery stones all too well. Thinking I might just bite the bullet on the eddyline and learn to take better care of my toys