Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:52:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:27:07 PM]

[Today at 12:03:45 PM]

[Today at 08:28:43 AM]

[Today at 08:05:07 AM]

[Today at 07:20:26 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 09:45:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 05:53:58 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 03:16:26 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:51:06 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 07:57:00 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 09:32:50 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 06:57:02 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 03:18:45 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 01:17:52 PM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:23:39 AM]

[April 25, 2024, 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Spooky Season Ghost Story: PB WSB  (Read 1503 times)

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
TLDR: I shot a 74.3 pound fish and here are a bunch of pics.

Full Story:

After about 3 hours into a session much earlier this year I almost swam right into a fish on the surface…I took a quick shot because I was so close and was afraid she would spook. It was a horrible gut shot, but somehow it held and I was able to land her.

After I got her on my belt I realized I was waaaay far from my kayak. The fish wasn’t huge, so figured might as well reload and hunt back to the kayak.

Didn’t see any other fish on way back…once I was there I looked around and there was a patch of kelp about 50 yards away that looked promising….decided I would swim over and check it before calling it quits.

Started swimming over there and before I got there was already thinking it was a waste of time because there was a pretty nasty red tide going on, and it had been challenging to see anything for the last few hours.

Got close to the kelp and slowed down and moved as smoothly as I could right up to the edge…it was too dark and murky to see anything, so I pushed in a little closer until my head was up under the edge and in the shadows…looking down through the hazy murk, my eyes adjusted, and I saw something moving…I made out a portion of a silhouette of what looked like a very big fish, extended my gun and pulled the trigger.

The fish took off, but stopped very quickly right next to where the kelp headed down into the dark…did I stone her? She had to be only about 10/15 feet down and was just sitting there wrapped around once or twice…

Decided my shot must’ve killed her so took a quick breath and dropped down…bad mistake.

When I got to her she wasn’t moving and I could see shaft sticking out of her side and grabbed it….and then all hell broke loose. She woke up and tried to take off, and I went to let go of the shaft but somehow my glove was stuck?! After thinking about it, I think part of the glove got pinned between slide ring and shaft somehow, and I couldn’t get my hand free…to make things worse the dead fish on my belt was wrapped up in the kelp and was pulling me backwards while the big live fish was pulling me forwards.  :smt009

After what seemed like forever with the fish going nuts and thrashing around with me holding the shaft trying to get my glove free, I was able to rip my hand totally out of the glove and let the fish go. Then I was able to free the fish on my belt from the kelp and get back to the surface.

I had a Neptonics popper float on my belt so after calming down and following the reel line until I was above the fish, I inflated it and clipped off the first fish and the gun and reel line to the float and prepared to try again.

For the last couple years I’ve been hunting bigger fish with a belt reel just in case the reel on my gun jammed…I was scared of getting close to that fish again so I decided I would use the belt reel to clip off to the fish and bring her up from a distance.

When I dove down she was on the bottom at 45 feet laying there looking dead…and my glove was right there on the shaft still lol.

I approached slowly and clipped the belt reel to the slip tip spectra and slowly headed back to the surface pulling her up as I went…she wasn’t wrapped in the kelp so she came up pretty easily.

Right when I got back to the surface I saw the Neptonics float had started deflating and I could see release valve had broken off bladder and was filling with water. Lucky it didn’t do it while I was on bottom or might have lost everything!!  :smt013

I quickly grabbed the whole tangled mess of float/fish/gun in one hand, and got my other hand in the throat of the big fish. Luckily she was totally dead now. After clearing away from the kelp I was able to get my arm through bands of gun and stringer of smaller fish, bled bigger fish and swim back  to kayak.

I knew the fish was big in the water…and when I got onto kayak and pulled it in I could tell it was heavier than any fish I had taken before (at this time my biggest one had been 59 pounds), so I was stoked thinking I had finally gotten a fish over 60 pounds or so.   :smt001

I took my time relaxing on the kayak and admiring both fish and having a celebratory lucky NA beer. Could see shot had gone in shoulder and out under opposite pec fin, but slip tip pulled back inside body at same point during fight. Could also see the slip tip spectra had made an actual frikkin knot around the slide ring, and shaft was super bent. I guess somehow slip tip cord got tangled around slide ring and so shaft got pulled into body, my glove got pinned between shaft and slide ring mess, and when was holding onto shaft trying to get free the shaft bent?

After finishing the beer and talking a few pics I was able to shove both fish inside kayak and then paddle in.

Once I drove away from beach I stopped at a pullout on the highway to take my time and measure fish.

Taped out to 60.75 inches, and I was shocked when I saw the scale at 74.3 pounds!!  :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

I gutted her there at pullout and was expecting to see a bunch of eggs because belly looked full…zero eggs, but her stomach was absolutely stuffed with baitfish. She had obviously been gorging herself on all the baitfish I had seen earlier in the day.

The smaller fish was 50.75 inches and 37 pounds, even after my gutshot took out most of her guts  :smt005

Back at home I tried to get my youngest daughter to take pics of me holding the big fish but we struggled because it was heavy and I’m weak these days, and there were a bunch of those wasps that came in once the fish was out the kill bag and she was scared to get close to me to take pics lol!! None of the pics really do the fish justice…she was an absolute pig.  :smt007

Took my time scaling and cutting up both fish and the delicious meat was shared amongst many, many family members and friends and all eaten fresh.

I definitely think this is the fish of a lifetime, and doubt I will ever find a WSB this big ever again, but am so grateful that I found her this year…my recent health struggles have reinforced the fact that tomorrow’s adventures are never guaranteed and you have to enjoy every experience as much as possible. Even if I never see another WSB again, I will always have this experience burned into my memory banks to remember.

The end.

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:20:27 AM by BigJim »

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Glad to see you are still at it all things considered. Amazing fish indeed. You definitely put your time in.
<=>

JohnnyAb

• Sea Lion
  • FISH IN THE SEA,LIVE IN THE WOODS,WORK AT BEACH
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2016
WTG BigJim
Best tasting white fish that swims imo
"Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking”     -J.C. Watts

“we are a community that is committed to each other, the health of our waters, and the sport we all love"
-Scurvy

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Best "Ghost" story of the year!  :smt007
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
Amazing. I'm pretty sure Jim has caught more "fish of a lifetime" than most of us combined.

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Five feet long?

Damn.

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Stupendous and Colossal, Jim!
WOW.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

scottymeboy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
A fish of a lifetime for Big Jim,
Now that’s a fish BIGFISH!  wow
Congratulations Jim!

Scotty
2014 Crabfest - 1st Place -Rock Crab Division
2014 Fall Classic - 1st Place

2019 Hobie Outback
2014 RTM Abaco 420

Jacks

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Very impressive Big Jim. Thank you for sharing.

pasha

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2020
2020 Hobie Outback "Kai-eL"
2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 "Kai"

IG: pash_spice

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words guys.

:smt008

Here’s a little collage of some of the meals we made with the meat, and the stones…I got a new shadowbox from Amadeo to better display all my stones and other ocean treasures.  :smt001

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
thats such a neat trophy display.  much more real than pics and prolly brings back all the memories of each. 

glad to see ur still kickn around n harvesting