Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 10:03:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:59:44 AM]

[Today at 09:54:38 AM]

[Today at 09:51:03 AM]

[Today at 09:10:22 AM]

[Today at 08:22:51 AM]

[Today at 07:15:26 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 11:24:10 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:53:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 03:08:35 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 02:48:07 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 09:34:21 AM]

[May 03, 2024, 08:13:57 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:09:54 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 09:13:28 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 10:34:13 AM]

[May 02, 2024, 08:03:44 AM]

[May 01, 2024, 09:06:36 AM]

[April 30, 2024, 09:10:03 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Any good AI wipeouts to tell?  (Read 2006 times)

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I can't be the only one with stories to tell.

Folsom Lake - Windy day. Good sailing, bad fishing. Steered my rig into the ramp area and brought in the sail nicely. Had the 2011 version rudder clamped down so I got out of the boat while in the water (nearly 3 Ft.) and held onto it while trying to undo the rudder. Big gust of wind came up and my sail rope slipped out of the tie-down clamp. Sail flapping like crazy as it completely unwound. I'm in deep $#^! in a big hurry with no way to get to the sail rope as the boat begins to drag me. All I can do is hang onto the back aka with all my strength.  I'm simply unable to get inside the square of the extended akas to reach the ropes. The boat finally slows down when it hits a flooded bush and it buys me enough reverse force/pause to get my leg over and finally reach the sail rope to reel the sheet in. Could have been a runaway AI missile if the winds had been completely pointed offshore.

Make sure you REALLY clamp down those ropes!   
Hobie Adventure Island

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Whether people realize it or not Folsom can be a windy Mo Fo.
When the Wilderness Tarpon first came out (all they had was the 16 ft model) I took it to Folsom as soon as I left the kayak shop I from where I purchased it.
Gale force winds, small craft advisory (yes, on Folsom Lake).
After just a few paddle strokes I knew I made the right choice.
Glad you didn't have a runaway missle on your hands. Although it would have made on helluva story.  :smt044
<=>

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Andie and I took a drive to Folsom Lake on Saturday. The wind was howling big time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Tote,

I don't have many sailing stories because I'm fishing with the Adventure probably 80-90% of the time. I feel safe in big whitecaps with 16 feet and the fins though. I don't have a clue if I could paddle in the tough water. One of these days I'll have to pull up the turbos and see what I can do with the paddle. Might not be pretty. The paddle is pretty much just my reverse option or dock bumper now. Lazy Hobie owner  :smt001

Speaking of Folsom, can't seem to buy a trout on that lake but there are some nice, fat smallmouth to be had working the deeper rocks. The lake remains largely a mystery to me as far as anything but the SMB. Damn fun sailing it when the wind is like 10 to 20 mph though.  Those mid-range type winds seem quite rare with the lake either nearly flat or the wind screaming out of the north. 
Hobie Adventure Island

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Lost an AKA yesterday in 15 MPH winds and 2 ft rollers.

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Did you have gear out on the tramps? Which part broke?

Hobie Adventure Island

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I was in Las Vegas over the weekend and it was blowin 20kt. Figured you guys would be sailing. I don't take my AI out over 15-17kt. I hate the way it submarines in heavy air and compared to a NACRA catamaran not that fun. Be safe out there guys.
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Did you have gear out on the tramps? Which part broke?
Tramp was rolled up so no gear lost. I was sideways to the waves in the middle of a turn and the end of the arm popped out of the crossbar. Nothing broken must not have been fully engaged? Could not re-engage on the water in the slop. Lucky I was 50 yards from shore.

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
I'm trying to visualize how the boat would react in that situation. Probably more manageable if during a turn the inside outrigger was the one with a malfunction. Less concern with the wind load but maybe more squirrelly acting. Lots of little variables to think about.

My aka's are (if anything) somewhat difficult to remove once they're locked into the push button sockets. One of them is a a bear and I have to twist it while pulling and holding the buttons down. I have used a small adjustable C clamp to hold the buttons down and it is helpful. 

Hobie Adventure Island

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I'm trying to visualize how the boat would react in that situation. Probably more manageable if during a turn the inside outrigger was the one with a malfunction. Less concern with the wind load but maybe more squirrelly acting. Lots of little variables to think about.

My aka's are (if anything) somewhat difficult to remove once they're locked into the push button sockets. One of them is a a bear and I have to twist it while pulling and holding the buttons down. I have used a small adjustable C clamp to hold the buttons down and it is helpful.

Chucke has a fix for that. Seems that is a common problem. I think he said to gently twist the aka (near the down curve end) and that will help with the sticky pin/button
-Eric Berg